Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06   #16

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Catching a Really Big Fish

I drag 1/8" cord with 3/8 bungee and 200# test leader (My meat hook). Catch lots of 50# fish but the larger ones usually break off. We have a large freezer so keep it all. Never slow the boat to bring em in. Always bring in before dark so I don't have to fillet in the dark. Lures left after dark are usually gone in the morning!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05503.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	61671  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07   #17

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You really don't want to drag your catch, in the water, for too long; JAWS might be tempted for a succulent meal!
Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You really don't want to drag your catch, in the water, for too long; JAWS might be tempted for a succulent meal!
Mauritz

Better to lose the odd fish half to Jaws than bring a big thrashing bleeder aboard.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07   #19

Boat: PT-11

Tire him out first. Then bring him on and get him drunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1313187383_179180_7447.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	61681  
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13   #20

Re: Catching a really big fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Bleeding them is the secret! Just slice them on each side of the tail and leave them drag till they are dead then ya can bring em aboard with no mess or anything broken ! Makes for better tasteing meat because the blood is gone from the meat! And ya can use a perssure cooker and can most any fish ! We have canned tuna, mahi mahi, halibut, and a bunch more ! easy to do if it's not to hot LOL just a thought
I dont know, you may have only the head left if you do this.... I seem to have that problem even without the bleeding!
OP: smaller the lure the smaller the fish. So dont use too big a lures! Of course you still could get into a real big one but alot less likely. The key is to tire the fish out well, then gaff him to bring aboard or club him in the head a couple times.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i will not bring in a fish i cannot boat by myself. i also do not pour booze into gills of a fish.
i will drown it in air so i dont have to fight it, and then boat and clean for dinner.....
i also have a niiice louisville slugger with a heavy ss gaff on it for use against whatever is appropriate.....
i do not use a rod n reel when i troll u nder sail--i use 100 or 200 pound test with a lure and a slipknot. slipknot sets hook and lets me know it is there....loop is gone--omg have fishie for dinner.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Catching a really big fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Bleeding them is the secret! Just slice them on each side of the tail and leave them drag till they are dead then ya can bring em aboard with no mess or anything broken ! Makes for better tasteing meat because the blood is gone from the meat! And ya can use a perssure cooker and can most any fish ! We have canned tuna, mahi mahi, halibut, and a bunch more ! easy to do if it's not to hot LOL just a thought
My heros... This and the crock ceviche....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 02:10   #23

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Ever heard of bioaccumulation? Big fish = more toxins (e.g., mercury). You are also taking the breeding stock out of the system if you take the bigger fish.

Plate sized fish are really what you are after for good eating. Barbless hooks help in catch and release of bigger fish. A handline, some bungy/shock cord and a modest lure = good eating fish. Never take more than you will immediately use.
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysail1 View Post
Ever heard of bioaccumulation? Big fish = more toxins (e.g., mercury).
What say you about the VOCs associated with refueling or any number of ingestion of toxins? I'll take my chances in consuming fresh fish.
Quote:
You are also taking the breeding stock out of the system if you take the bigger fish.
Not true. Depending upon species, the "breeding stock" matures at an earlier age than what you suggest. That is, a smaller fish may already have entered into the "breeding stock". Also, the total population of cruisers taking fish hardly makes a dent in the population of even a single species let alone the population of many varied species.

Quote:
Plate sized fish are really what you are after for good eating.
That is what the restaurants prefer. The typical diner prefers a whole filet or steak. They don't want half. OTOH, the restaurant is constrained to portion size, hence the "plate sized" filet which comes from a smaller fish.
Quote:
Barbless hooks help in catch and release of bigger fish.
Quite true. The only 'problem' is maintaining line tension. That is the sport in fishing. But when wanting to put meat on the table, bring that fish in by hook or crook.
Quote:
A handline, some bungy/shock cord and a modest lure = good eating fish. Never take more than you will immediately use.
I've handlined plenty. It is a good work out and worthy of the fish giving it's life so you may eat. Whether spearfishing or fishing with a line, or hunting in the backwoods, I was taught to never take more than what I immediately need. It's good stewardship. However, when fishing, I will actively seek a larger fish to trade with natives. In such instance it is not for me to eat the fish but for them to have a fish they typically would not have gotten for themselves. Making friends and trading for prized fresh eggs or other staples is the thing. We prize the fish and are thankful that it gave it's life so we may eat. It is the way of the world. Above all, be a good steward as your comments suggest.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish