Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2016, 19:05   #1

Catalina 34 microwave

HI folks,

Have new (to us) 1998 Catalina 34 which we are trying to get ready for the summer and sailing. I have seen many pics with the middle cabinet in the galley replaced with a microwave oven. That cabinet measures a little over 9 inches high. I am having a very difficult time finding a microwave oven whose height is 9 inches. What microwaves (and models ) do people have and how did you get it to fit in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jean (from Solitude)
Old 09-05-2016, 19:14   #2
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Catalina 34 microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkennedy10 View Post
HI folks,

Have new (to us) 1998 Catalina 34 which we are trying to get ready for the summer and sailing. I have seen many pics with the middle cabinet in the galley replaced with a microwave oven. That cabinet measures a little over 9 inches high. I am having a very difficult time finding a microwave oven whose height is 9 inches. What microwaves (and models ) do people have and how did you get it to fit in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jean (from Solitude)
Mine is higher than that so telling you what I have (Panasonic) isn't going to do you much good. An outside height of nine inches is going to be a very small microwave and I think you would be happier with a larger one even if you have to find another place to put it.

That said, the Internet is your friend here. You will find a lot more models on the Internet than in your local stores.

Although rare, if you can find one with a manual timer or electronic but no clock, you'll be better off. The microwave in my home won't even heat water without knowing the time day, date and year. On a boat you won't have constant power and this would be a very big hassle.
Old 09-05-2016, 19:27   #3

Re: Catalina 34 microwave

Congratulations on your new boat.

The C34 International Association has one of the best boating websites on the net.

Go to The Catalina 34 International Association and use the Forum link. The answers are all there. Including your microwave question.

You could also join our association and gain access to 30 years of Technical Notes published in Mainsheet magazine. It is bonus material for all members.

Welcome.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: