Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2009, 09:39   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Can't find thread about coffee.

Some time in the past there was a thread about coffee.
It might have been a drift but I could not find it using search, the google search or "thumbing through the "Provisioning: Food & Drink" section.

Can anyone help?

I am specifically looking for the persons that pre-made the coffee strong and used it over time.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 11:11   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Here it is Therapy
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nual-4907.html

check out post #14. 'essence of coffee'
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 11:50   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Here it is Therapy

Thanks so much!
Old 25-01-2009, 12:12   #4

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
OK, since you started...
Coffe beans that are already roasted, placed in ziplock or what ever, or what? How long do they last?
Cruising and making the US/American ritual, daily coffee, what are your methods? I like fresh, but ain't sure how long beans last. I have a grinder on board.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 12:24   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutnw View Post
OK, since you started...
Coffe beans that are already roasted, placed in ziplock or what ever, or what? How long do they last?
Cruising and making the US/American ritual, daily coffee, what are your methods? I like fresh, but ain't sure how long beans last. I have a grinder on board.
I have no idea. To be honest I have never drank coffee on the boat. But I have cracked a lot of Bud Lights .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 13:32   #6

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Vacuum pack the beans. You should be able to get 6 months to a year under vacuum. It is the combination of water, heat and oxygen that will cause them to go "off". I'd vacuum pack them in something like two week quantities. Then when the pack is open I'd just put them in a good tight screw cap jar. Glass is probably a little better than plastic because of the oxygen permeability. Of course at one year they may not be quite as good as they are at one day but they shouldn't go rancid if under vacuum. I looked at a Starbucks vacuum pack and they give you over 2 months for their "best used by" date.
Bill_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 14:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Worlds best coffee?

I buy my coffee from the local Oxfam shop.

Their Fairtrade Peruvian beans make the best coffee that I have ever had. (Out of stock at the moment but I'm sure they'll get more - 2 for 1 January sale, even I stocked up).

What they don't say in the ad is that the beans are handpicked and sorted by the local womens' cooperative.

Never had Civet coffee but I recon' this would come close.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 15:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Here it is Therapy

I tried to make a small batch for a little test today.

By the look of it, it is rather weak for supposedly 4X the strength.

Oh well.
Old 25-01-2009, 17:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I tried to make a small batch for a little test today.

By the look of it, it is rather weak for supposedly 4X the strength.

Oh well.
What kind of grind did you use? Did you do this with a Folgers/Yuban type brand or quality coffee from, say, Peets?

I cannot imagine using cold water would work well. Coffee is a dynamic beverage -- we all know the flavor changes over time.

Please post the results of any trials you run -- I am VERY curious to learn of your results.

Thank-you

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 17:17   #10

A coffee thread. You guys are cool. Does coffee go bad quicker a sea because of the moisture?
superA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 09:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superA View Post
A coffee thread. You guys are cool. Does coffee go bad quicker a sea because of the moisture?
See above posts about vacuum bagging.

Also see oudates in grocery stores for a hint.
Old 26-01-2009, 09:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
What kind of grind did you use? Did you do this with a Folgers/Yuban type brand or quality coffee from, say, Peets?

I cannot imagine using cold water would work well. Coffee is a dynamic beverage -- we all know the flavor changes over time.

Please post the results of any trials you run -- I am VERY curious to learn of your results.

Thank-you

Michael
I am going to try a few more trials here at home.

Yes, I am using standard American Maxwell House.

I am not a coffee connoisseur. I like it in the morning and us it during the day (if needed) as a drug.

I don't get a headache if I don't get it in the AM, so I guess I am not too addicted, but I sure don't wake up and get-to-it as fast either.
Old 26-01-2009, 10:37   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good timing on the revival of the coffee thread, Therapy! This is from last Friday's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/he.../24coffee.html

And here's a link to the same story, not because it's better or different, but because you have to see the picture at the top:

We’re saved! Pass the coffee pot

TaoJones
Old 26-01-2009, 11:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
One of the keys to keeping coffee long term is in the roasting. Dark roasts bring the oils to the surface, thats what makes the beans look shiny or even wet. The oil turns rancid real quick when brought to the surface. For both taste and longevity a medium or Full City roast will give the beans a longer and healthier life. Besides, charcoal tastes like charcoal leave the burned coffee for Starbuck's fans.

Vacuum packing keeps air from the beans. Air means oxidation and breakdown/rotting of the beans. It also retains any volatile elements in the beans. Vacuum packed beans will last for a very long time, like years. Unfortunately, they won't have that fresh from the roaster robustness much past a year though still drinkable.

If you are a real coffee nut, you can buy green beans, vacuum seal them, and roast them as the need arises. With care, you can roast the beans in a good frying pan. One caution, you will end up with a blue fog hanging around head height that is very aromatic, though on the burned side, and takes quite a while to dissipate. If you're into mechanization, an air popcorn popper does a more uniform roast. We found green coffee in the Marquesas and I'm sure you can get green coffee anywhere that coffee is grown.

Don't even think about getting Cherry coffee from the roadside. The time and pain involved taking the coffee from the picked cherry to the roasting stage is not hand labor efficient, btdt. If you pay yourself a nickel an hour for your labor, it will still be the most expensive coffee that you've ever drunk.

I'm a recovering coffee farmer drinking a bit of my own stash that I roasted with a popcorn popper this morning. Do it for the fun of it, now that I'm no longer farming seriously.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 14:43   #15

Boat: Mac 26x
roverhi

i remember those coffee shops in Hawaii,i was at a resort that did not give you a percolator in your room,so i went to the store at kona,i was spoiled for choice,all those coffees with different flavours

The coffee in the UK is getting better,nowhere near as good as Hawaii
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote