Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 13:28   #46

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Canning your own meats and shelf life in Tropics

We do keep a "canner" on board but we also much larger one in storage. When we headed out to the Bahamas last year we canned at a friends house and that went a lot easier than doing it on the boat. We went through our supply in a year but I am betting it could last much much longer.

However - we are not going to can for "5 years around the world" - food is available everywhere. We might go out of our way to can in Mexico before making the Pacific crossing and then again in the Philippines / Thailand or somewhere just to help save on cost and to assure availability.

We can using smaller jars. For example, we have chicken cut up for taco or nacho night because a lot of meat fits in the smaller jars. Enough for a meal without any left over to refrigerate. The whole breasts we buy locally and freeze.

Same for breakfast meats like sausage or ground turkey for various recipes.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 16:19   #47

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

sanitation, correct tempature are most important. if when opening a canned good make sure there is still a vacuum in the can. if there is no vacuum or if there is pressure then throw it out. I've canned for decades and even canned leftovers, altho those were only canned for up to a week, as I had no refrigeration, for years. using Ice whilst living aboard, was too much work and expensive. Toting ice, cleaning every few days, keeping stuff dry........aaarrrr
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 17:24   #48

I have this one and it's amazingly well constructed.

All American 915 15.5 Quart Pressure Cooker Canner - Walmart.com

It will last a lifetime.

I can quality foods so I don't have to eat hormone/antibiotic meats, pesticides or really salty things when away from good food stores.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 23:58   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
OMG

This whole discussion has been about preserving in glass jars and not 'cans' as in how MOST OF THE WORLD would call a metal container.

How the hell does a container of 'glass or plastic' turn into a can? Talk about lost in translation.
More a description of the process whereby food is heated in a container to destroy the bacteria and then the container is sealed to prevent airborne bacteria re-contaminating the food and causing rotting than a description of the container.

When I was a boy my father had a country mail run. Some of the people it serviced were "ring barkers" who chopped away a ring of bark from trees so that they would die thereby allowing sunshine to fall on the ground promoting the growth of grass. Part of their pay was in mutton (dead sheep, generally not road kill, but with the stinginess of some of the squatters you could not be certain)

The ring barkers had empty cans and lids and a lid rolling device which rolled on and sealed the lids. They were shipped out from Queensland Pastoral Supplies by steam trains from the nearest city.

The lid had a small hole in the centre to allow steam to vent. They would cut up the meat, put it into the cans with some water, roll on the lid and stand the cans in a zinc tub with water up to about an inch from the top of the cans, light a fire under the tub and boil the meat in the cans for about three quarters of an hour. A soldering iron would be used to dab a spot of solder on the vent hole to seal it.

The canned meat was part of their food supply between jobs and allowed them to avoid spoilage and wastage of excess fresh meat. Same process as one uses with recycled supermarket jars, Mason or other brands of preserving jars.

Generic, process related rather than descriptive?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:22   #50

Is that meats you canned yourself or canned meats bought from store?
murelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:27   #51

Thats the idea but a bit more sterile.. by using a pressure cooker. Thanks for the narrative. A good story is good for all and always welcome!
Old 05-03-2016, 17:29   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I can my own meats. Taste much better than store bought canned meats.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:30   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We do keep a "canner" on board but we also much larger one in storage. When we headed out to the Bahamas last year we canned at a friends house and that went a lot easier than doing it on the boat. We went through our supply in a year but I am betting it could last much much longer.

However - we are not going to can for "5 years around the world" - food is available everywhere. We might go out of our way to can in Mexico before making the Pacific crossing and then again in the Philippines / Thailand or somewhere just to help save on cost and to assure availability.

We can using smaller jars. For example, we have chicken cut up for taco or nacho night because a lot of meat fits in the smaller jars. Enough for a meal without any left over to refrigerate. The whole breasts we buy locally and freeze.

Same for breakfast meats like sausage or ground turkey for various recipes.
And your meats stay fresh for a year in high temps in Bahamas?
Old 05-03-2016, 20:45   #54

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Our home base is Florida - which is about the same as most of the Bahamas.

We can chicken breast filets, turkey, ground poultry meats, sausage from Costco and Trader Joes. My wife is the expert between us but we generally can with a bit of broth as well.

Everyone on this thread that says temp and pressure are extremely important are correct. Would it last two years? I don't know but I bet it would. Once its canned and sealed it should stay for a long long time as long as the top is on solidly.

The truth is - there are costco's and warehouse foods stores worldwide now. You don't really need to bring along 5 years of food for a round the world voyage! I've become a dubious of the value of canning because of this.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 21:11   #55

Boat: Island Packet 40

When I do sausages, meat balls or hamburgers I can the items in a gravy or sauce, seems to preserve the texture better. usually brown them first in a frypan.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:40   #56

I have tomato juice that was made in 2010 that I used late last year to make Chili. It tasted great.

I don't think canned food goes "bad", where "bad" means it will spoil and cause illness unless the seal has been broken. What I have read over the years is that food looses nutritional value and taste over time. The taste and nutritional loss is related to how long the food has been stored and at what temperatures. Higher temperature means faster degradation. The cooler the storage the better.

People in the hot and humid US South used to preserve and store their food before the age of air conditioning and they did just fine.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:26   #57

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Are we still talking about glass jars

If so, seriously your talking about preserving 'meats', hamburgers and meatballs, in glass jars? Didn't know this was even possible.

OR are those of you claiming you 'can' your meatballs and gravey, which 'are better than the ones you buy in the store' actually put in a 'can'

If you really are 'caning' your meat, as in a 'can', what type of machine do you do this with?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 18:16   #58

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Canning has nothing to do with metal containers. The widespread commercial process of using metal cans for canning is why a can is known to be made out of metal. Home canning is done in glass mason jars.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 18:20   #59

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Canning has nothing to do with metal containers. The widespread commercial process of using metal cans for canning is why a can is known to be made out of metal. Home canning is done in glass mason jars.
I think it's more to do with your American lingo which you think is the same around the world.

Nothing to do with 'metal', the dictionary seems to dispute that,

noun
1. a sealed container for food, beverages, etc., as of aluminum, sheet iron coated with tin, or other metal: a can of soup.

2. a receptacle for garbage, ashes, etc.: a trash can.

3. a bucket, pail, or other container for holding or carrying liquids: water can.

4. a drinking cup; tankard.

5. a metal or plastic container for holding film on cores or reels.

6. Slang: Usually Vulgar. toilet; bathroom.

7. Slang. jail:
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 19:33   #60

Boat: Spacesailer 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Careful with doing this. A serious mistake canning your own food is fatal.
'Being careful doing this.' This is good advice, but doing it right is not difficult. Canning using a pressure cooker is quite easy if you follow the simple directions to cook the meats.

For a very good guide to canning click this link:
Storing Canned Food : Storage : Preserving and Preparing : Food Safety : Food : University of Minnesota Extension

Here is one of the best pressure cookers available for all purposes:
Canners | All American Pressure Canner