Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 13:36   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Can you live off the bounty of the sea?

Mutton birds are the go...
Old 02-11-2012, 14:06   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Has anyone / does anyone eat Gull, or other sea birds? If so, how do you catch them?
Commonly found on shore so I suppose nets on land would capture the most. They are not found offshore.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 14:51   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBob View Post
104 posts, and unless I've missed it, nobody's talked about eating -

Seagull. Chicken of the sea - LOL

Land locked preppers often talk about the wonderful bounty of pigeon - (that tastes a lot like chicken....)

Has anyone / does anyone eat Gull, or other sea birds? If so, how do you catch them?
If you ever stand on the beach at the outer banks in the fall when the birds migrate south you will notice that most of the ducks that fly bye are always out over the ocean except the black ducks,they will fly right over your head! I was told by an old man that grew up there that the reason they did that was because the black(sea) ducks ate fish and therefore they did not taste good!He said they were rarley sought after because of this,whereas the other ducks ate grain,corn,sea oats etc, and tasted better...They knew they should fly out at sea because they would get shot otherwise...I would think that seagulls would taste bad because of this and if you watch Daffy duck on the Warner bros. cartoons (he is a black sea duck) he has got to advertise to Elmer that he is a duck! I think rabbits taste better than BSDs!..Thats what the old man said anyways,dont no if its true or not...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 14:58   #109
Marine Service Provider

Read a story about some guys that got attacked by a whale and there boat sank,when they got to land they had to cross a long way to find a town,they wrote about having to kill baby albatros to eat,they said they were good but that the adult birds were very bad as they ate fish also...guess it depends on the birds diet...good luck..
Old 02-11-2012, 15:06   #110
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Commonly found on shore so I suppose nets on land would capture the most. They are not found offshore.
My dog taught me that if you want to catch sea chickens(gulls) that you should approch a dune from behind and then jump on the gulls as you come over the top of the dune,worked for Roxie, she has caught many this way...Some stupid and mean people say that if you give a seagull Alka-seltzer that it will explode,this is not so because I saw a kid stick one in some bread and throw it up in the air ,when the bird swallowed it he flew away ,later that day the bird was on the beach with foam coming from his mouth,he later died from what I suppose was drowning,very sad ...
Old 02-11-2012, 15:18   #111

Boat: O'Day 28

[QUOTE=tropicalescape;1074895] I think rabbits taste better than BSDs!..QUOTE]

Rabbits are excellent fare served once a week when I was a kid way back in the last century. But where ya gonna find a rabbit at sea? Now if you meant sea hares ... different story. Almost bound to taste better than they look.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 15:43   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
My dog taught me that if you want to catch sea chickens(gulls) that you should approch a dune from behind and then jump on the gulls as you come over the top of the dune,worked for Roxie, she has caught many this way...Some stupid and mean people say that if you give a seagull Alka-seltzer that it will explode,this is not so because I saw a kid stick one in some bread and throw it up in the air ,when the bird swallowed it he flew away ,later that day the bird was on the beach with foam coming from his mouth,he later died from what I suppose was drowning,very sad ...
Actually, I have read that a bird can not burp, but can regurgitate. Since the Alka-selter is activated by liquid, the bird is not able to expel the tablet, and it's stomach literally bursts. It is a cruel thing to do, and very illegal in most states.

The bird itself doesn't explode, that is an urban myth.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 15:55   #113

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Puffins, a species of fish eating auk, is considered a delicacy in Iceland and the Faroes.
Old 02-11-2012, 16:38   #114

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have a tarp made to collet water. It is coated and fits such that there is a drain connected to the deck water port. it covers the entire boom (20 feet). Lots of water.

SNIP
I have seen several posts about catching rain water and am wondering if anyone is able to share their real life experiences. Are there plans for a boom tarp, places that sell materials, or ready made tarps.

Kinda like there seems to be agreement that a Honda generator is the first choice of lots of folks, is there a similar agreement on rain catching devices.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 18:28   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We cruised SoPac for 18 months and caught all our water from the deck awning. Put a 1" thruhull in the middle of each half of the tarp and attached a length of vinyl tubing. When it rained, pulled the thruhull down and let water run for a bit to wash off the salt and then put it in the tanks. Carried 70 gallons in two tanks and never ran out. We were in the tropics so didn't need to shower, just jumped in the ocean after lathering up and used a small amount of freshwater to rinse with. Turned off the pressure water system, had fresh and saltwater foot pumps, etc. Didn't make an effort to conserve water, but didn't use a whole lot either. If you take long freshwater showers and can't live without your pressure water system, your experience may, probably will be different.

We caught fish everytime we put the hook out on the sail down from SD and through the Islands till we got to Tahiti. Never caught a fish after that. Probably because we only had a couple of lures and they'd been drug through a couple thousand miles of ocean by the time we got to Papeete. We could eat lobster anytime I cared to dive, though once again, not after reaching Tahiti. Too large a local population and too good fisherman had pretty much cleaned out inshore eatable seafood. Spear fished in the Tuamotus, we supplied the locals and the few yachts with grouper when we wanted. Occasionally hunted with the locals in the Marquesas and got pig, goat, and, once, beef. They did the hunting, we went along to help them haul the meat back and they shared it with us. We usually paid for bananas when available as we did for other things like Pomplemous, oranges, avocados, etc.

We Left SD with a fully provisioned boat. Didn't buy any new food supplies except peanut butter, popcorn and Tabasco sauce that we got off a boat going back to Hawaii, and the limited amount of fresh stuff from the locals, for a year. Forgot about the bread in FP. The French have certainly taught the locals to bake good baguettes.

In low population areas it was definitely possible to live off the sea for protein. We ate no reef fish in the Marquesas because Ciguatera poisoned fish are so prevalent. Lobster and pelagic fish were abundant and plentiful. Veggies were another story. About the only veggies we had regularly was Green Papaya and very occasionally, haricot vert (green beans). We weren't set up to sprout seeds but wished we were. That was a good source of greens for those had the capability. Coconuts were plentiful and was used in all sorts of creative ways in cooking by my wife.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 18:29   #116

Boat: Swarbrick 40

When I was a kid I set a trap to catch a Sea Gull. It consisted of a wire cage, forked stick and a delicately balanced perched.
Tossed a chip in for bait and the trap was attacked, they knocked the perch and the stick over in the rush, caught about 3 at once. Catching Gulls, Its easy.
I just let them go, didn't eat them.
Old 02-11-2012, 20:18   #117
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Puffins, a species of fish eating auk, is considered a delicacy in Iceland and the Faroes.
So is lukafish(?sp) Yuk! ...and what about the folks that eat stinkheads(rotten fish heads?)Oh my, what a delicacy...course I eat livermush,(Farmboy delicacy)Yuk, I mean Yum!...
Old 02-11-2012, 23:30   #118

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

"Lutefisk." Quite good compared to Icelandic fermented shark (hákarl).
Old 03-11-2012, 00:17   #119

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Tomfl, You are correct the Honda is a very well made reliable generator but dare I say the Yamaha is better. Both are quiet, reliable, efficient and long life but the Yamaha scores because it has a fuel shut off valve. The downside of the Honda is that when you shut off the ignition to stop it, the carburettor stays full of fuel, if stored for a while this fuel will evaporate leaving behind a sticky gummy type residue in the carb, causing problems when you go to restart. A wee tip that works in mild cases is to spray the air inlet with a LITTLE eesy start, fill with fresh petrol and pull the cord, hopefully it will go, if not turn it upside side down and give it a good shake up and down (it will free a stuck carb float).
Hope this helps.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 13:02   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBob View Post
104 posts, and unless I've missed it, nobody's talked about eating -

Seagull. Chicken of the sea - LOL

Land locked preppers often talk about the wonderful bounty of pigeon - (that tastes a lot like chicken....)

Try holding a french fry between your toes and knock-em out with a sling shot.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote