Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2012, 18:42   #31

Re: Can you live off the bounty of the sea?

I read somewhere there are large portions of the oceans that are pretty much deserts when it comes to finding fish. Would not want to be hungry sailing in those waters. You might get an occasional bird landing in your rigging or on your deck though. Catching it is another thing. Though sometimes you may get lucky. I woke up from a nap earlier this summer to find a big crow in my cabin. I don't know who was more surprised him or me. Lesson learned: Need to keep the cockpit hatch shut when I take my siestas.

Old 13-09-2012, 18:54   #32

Make sure you have vitamin C pills or a multi-vitamin. Oranges can be 'acquired' too. From my poor college days, I can tell you that other condiments can be found too.

There are lots of wild growing berries and plants that are edible.

If you drink enough water, you can survive on a lot less calories than a normal person consumes. Look into that kind of diet.

Eating small fish would be better for the Hg levels.

Old 13-09-2012, 19:43   #33

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou
Yeah, .....if you want to glow in the dark and die young. Many fish store a lot of heavy metals and nasties in their bodies.
Im sure I read someplace you shouldnt have fish more than two meals per week?
I think that's freshwater fish, ya know mercury.....
Old 13-09-2012, 19:53   #34

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
SEE!!!...People that own Hunters go to pot-lucks and steal food!!!
Great, I knew this was going to turn into a Hunter thread! I just love this forum
Old 13-09-2012, 20:27   #35

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
I think that's freshwater fish, ya know mercury.....
Yep. Japanese live longer than most and eat more fish than most.
Old 13-09-2012, 20:39   #36
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I worked my way through grad school as a scuba instructor, during which time I averaged around ten dives per week. At the end of the day, after students were dismissed, I'd grab a spear gun and go hunt dinner. My afternoons looked like this: clean the fish, rinse the dive gear, crack the books.

Let me tell you, there's a huge difference between fish three nights a week and fish seven nights a week. Try that for a month or two, and you'll find yourself waking up every morning having dreamed about burgers.

Yeah, this Hunter gatherer went to every pot-luck he could find until he got his diploma. I was the guy who took some smoked fish but always ate the ham.
Old 13-09-2012, 21:58   #37

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I worked my way through grad school as a scuba instructor, during which time I averaged around ten dives per week. At the end of the day, after students were dismissed, I'd grab a spear gun and go hunt dinner. My afternoons looked like this: clean the fish, rinse the dive gear, crack the books.

Let me tell you, there's a huge difference between fish three nights a week and fish seven nights a week. Try that for a month or two, and you'll find yourself waking up every morning having dreamed about burgers.

Yeah, this Hunter gatherer went to every pot-luck he could find until he got his diploma. I was the guy who took some smoked fish but always ate the ham.
I had a similar experience after my divorce. I had moved aboard a boat I was restoring (read sneak aboard). I had "her" bills coming outta my arse. It was basically Mac & Cheese every night for eons. I remember being invited to pot lucks and bringing chopped apples.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 01:14   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I am surprised that Don has not yet made an appearance on this thread .

Maybe he's at a potluck?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 04:43   #39
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am surprised that Don has not yet made an appearance on this thread .

Maybe he's at a potluck?

Hey is just goes to show everyone just how good of survivors those Hunter owners are!

Just because David seemed disappointed
Old 14-09-2012, 04:58   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NewEnglander.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 05:44   #41

Boat: contessa 32

Dr. Alain Bombard crossed the Atlanitc without food or even water on board to test a theory of his.I think he ate plankton from a net he dragged behind. You might search out his book, but in a month or two is a long way from "indefinitely"; as suggested ,you might try to live in the woods eating worms and insects and chewing bark to see how you fare.
It is an interesting proposition however,one that I considered in my youth since I had spent a number of years living VERY close to the land.But after a year of cruising it became clear that much that I enjoy and need(material and immaterial), comes from other people. I then realized I did not want to walk around in shoes that I made myself.
Another experiment you might consider would be to seek out some stone age tribe in the remote Amazon ,Java, etc .and ingratiate yourself so as to learn what life is like at the bottom of the food chain.
Old 14-09-2012, 06:35   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Dr. Alain Bombard crossed the Atlanitc without food or even water on board to test a theory of his.I think he ate plankton from a net he dragged behind. You might search out his book, but in a month or two is a long way from "indefinitely"; as suggested ,you might try to live in the woods eating worms and insects and chewing bark to see how you fare.
It is an interesting proposition however,one that I considered in my youth since I had spent a number of years living VERY close to the land.But after a year of cruising it became clear that much that I enjoy and need(material and immaterial), comes from other people. I then realized I did not want to walk around in shoes that I made myself.
Another experiment you might consider would be to seek out some stone age tribe in the remote Amazon ,Java, etc .and ingratiate yourself so as to learn what life is like at the bottom of the food chain.

+1 good advice there take a pair of stockings and a pressure cooker,adding chicken stock,an onion and garlic greatly improves the taste,also a drop of white wine and cream serve with fresly baked bread
Old 14-09-2012, 07:12   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Dr. Alain Bombard crossed the Atlanitc without food or even water on board to test a theory of his ...
Dr. Hans Lindemann, a German physician, tried to repeat Bombard's experiment, and was unsuccessful. He became very ill and his legs and feet swelled to dangerous proportions. He wrote a book, Alone at Sea, where he called Doctor Bombard a fraud.

The science clearly indicates that drinking sea water in large amounts is very unhealthy. Drinking small quantities, without ever offsetting it with fresh water, is also very clearly unhealthy.
As most times it would be impossible, if not extremely hard, to supplement sea water with a proper amount of fresh water in a survival situation, it is best to avoid it altogether.

The US military is quite strict on this matter.
Page 3-10 ➥ http://www.resist.com/USMC_Water_Survival_Course.pdf

“Dehydration is caused by the loss of the body’s vital fluids. Dehydration in saltwater may result from a combination of factors such as a lack of water, the effects of saltwater on skin tissue, sunburn or vomiting from seasickness, and other causes. Sleep and rest and reduced water and food intake are the best ways of enduring periods of exposure. The following measures will delay the effects of dehydration:
.. DO NOT drink saltwater.
.. DO NOT drink urine.

.. DO NOT drink alcohol.
.. DO NOT smoke.
.. DO NOT EAT unless water is available.”
Page 3-10 ➥ http://www.resist.com/USMC_Water_Survival_Course.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 09:03   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Good advice Gord. As a former survivalist and minimalist I agree that you can hermitize but cooperation with the rest of humanity is easier and how we were designed to function. Trading your skills to the locals for fruits and veges is probably as far as I would go. Gotta talk to someone. :-)
Old 14-09-2012, 09:36   #45

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Reid Stowe was actually 1152 days at sea . Whats an extra 152 days?
Sailing Anarchy called him Captain Sprout, among other things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: