Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 18:31   #1

Boat: Malibu Escape 23
Can non-drinkers be cruisers?

As we study sailing and cruising, my wife and I are more excited each day to buy a boat, outfit it, and sail away. But we don't drink. Is it possible to be real cruisers, if we don't consume alcohol? Everywhere we turn it seems that booze is an important part of the scene.

There are lots of related questions as well. Here are a couple starters:

1. When invited to dine on other boats, we can only bring another dish to share rather than wine. Is that rude?
2. When we invite others aboard, can we politely explain that we prefer to be an alcohol free boat? What is a good way to say this?
3. When visiting remote locations, it's polite to offer the chief a gift. What are good alternatives to a bottle of liquor?
4. Is soda pop an acceptable option for some or all situations?

Feel free to suggest other potential situations/questions and answers.

While this won't stop us from exploring the world, it seems that it's an important social issue that we haven't seen discussed and we'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:35   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Can non-drinkers be cruisers?

I am just completely straightforward about it all, certainly never apologize for my preferences. I explain I'm an alki and itmakes mecravw so I have to avoid.

There aren't rules, just a mix of customs and expectations and generally people are tolerant of diversity.

Some people (the ones with a problem) may choose to not socialize with me as a result, but I'm fine with that too.

Easy does it!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:35   #3

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

While we aren’t out there yet and we do indulge I would personally be happy to have you on my boat with a dish, bottle of soda, or nothing at all. If you don’t mind if I have a beer I will, but if you have a problem (a history of alcoholism comes to mind) I’ll gladly put it all away.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:43   #4

Boat: Boatless

Cruisers are very open minded and will not object to you abstinence but if you have an alcohol free party don't expect many guests...however, my none drinking wife will attend but I will stay at home with by bottle of scotch.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:54   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Blasphemy, Just kidding. Think of it like visiting someone at their home. You can still bring a bottle of wine for the hosts even if you don't partake. A desert is always appreciated. If you were visiting me I would be happy you just showed up because I spent the last 2-3 hours preparing a nice meal for all of us.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Be a good guest and reciprocate.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:57   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

You're a definite minority but don't give it a second thought as it relates to your plans.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 19:31   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Can we know why? For instance, if it is:

1. You are recovering

vs

2. Religious reasons

or

3. You just don't like the stuff

I ask because in #1, above, you should avoid it at all costs. If it is one of the others you can do as suggested by others above and just explain yourself but yet you could still have wine or something on board to offer the chief of the village you are visiting. Pleasing him may make your stay more enjoyable as long as you don't injure yourself in the process.

I think most cruisers, myself included, would certainly respect your wishes. If we decide not to come to your party we would certainly tell you in the same spirit in which you told us (pun not intended).

Everyone should respect everyone else's opinion and nobody gets their feelings hurt!
Old 26-02-2018, 20:19   #8

Quote:
As we study sailing and cruising, my wife and I are more excited each day to buy a boat, outfit it, and sail away. But we don't drink. Is it possible to be real cruisers, if we don't consume alcohol?
NO!. If you don't drink socially...you are WEIRD. If you are some form of vegetarian, you are WEIRD. If you have limits for WHATEVER reason, religious, dietary, sexual, whatever, you are weird.

Did I mention , non drinkers are weird?

Sorry, but I'm hanging with folks at the "cool kids" no limitations DRINKING table.
Old 26-02-2018, 21:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oddly drinking is not required to cruise. I don't drink though for no other reason then I don't want too. Then again I don't do drugs, never did that either. Lastly I'm a coffee virgin. Never had a cup. I don't need a stimulant to wake up happy. OK I might be a bit weird, but then I'm totally ok being different.

So yes, Non drinkers can be cruisers too. Think of all the money saved that you can do other things with.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 22:56   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

C'mon honey, cruising isn't the skull and bones society, nor is it high school... The whole point is to do what you feel like and make yourself happy, find some sun and fun in the way that YOU want in your life. Me and mine, we love our prosecco and red wine...can't go a day without a few bottles. If you rock up to say hi, we'll invite you on to meet our kittens and have a bottle of prosecco. When you say no, we'll say, oh hey, more for us! No worries. Like someone said, you might not have as many social gatherings on your boat, but if anyone can't go an hour or two without a drink to hang out a bit, ya probably don't want that level of alkie on your boat in the first place

If you don't want to even be around alcohol (as in presents for other boaters), then DON'T. Bring over a handful of ripe pears and a wedge of brie to go on a cheese plate and you're golden.

As for coffee, Ann, whoa, I'm a 2 pot a day person no you cannot board cause that's just strange.... how do you even live
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 23:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransflyer View Post

3. When visiting remote locations, it's polite to offer the chief a gift. What are good alternatives to a bottle of liquor?
Anything. Giving alcohol to natives of remote places is generally a VERY BAD IDEA.

Give them something useful. Bush knives, fishing gear, outboard fuel... alcohol can cause real damage to these communities.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 23:30   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! You must live out your years in the middle of a corn field somewhere in the Midwest and are to never set foot on a boat...Ever.

That said I have been put in awkward situations before where someone has invited me somewhere or to do something and it’s a ‘oh by the way (now that you’ve accepted) you can’t do this, this and this while we do this...’ Make it abundantly clear ahead of time you have a ‘dry’ boat before inviting people onboard, not after.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You might also be interested in this thread (& there are others) ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ol-142680.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:46   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Nope, cruisers are all either drunks or aspiring to be, if you wish to fully enjoy the cruising life style you are not only having to take up imbibing large quantities of alcohol, you are going to have to learn how to brew and distill it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 03:22   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410

We are in the middle of bombing around the Bahamas. Due to the fact that we have a cat ours is usually headquarters for sundowners.

We have probably had 250+ people on the boat for snorts. My rough guess is that 15 or 20 of them abstained and it makes zero difference.

As Bacchus said, if it's #1 be careful, anything else c'mon over and tell us where you've been, how was the fishing and where and why you are off to the next place.

EDIT- "Sundowners" means BYOB or soda and some snacks.

"Cocktails" means your host will provide the above.

Tags
cruise, cruiser