Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 15:29   #76

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Can non-drinkers be cruisers?

Please refrain from rolling your eyes when someone decides to imbibe.
Old 28-02-2018, 15:44   #77

I've found teetotalers, religious zealots , ex smokers and politically motivated people to be avoided, not just on my boat either.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 16:28   #78

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I've found teetotalers, religious zealots , ex smokers and politically motivated people to be avoided, not just on my boat either.
And they no doubt reciprocate. In the US folks tend to not be very open to different people. Most social groupings share a common political party, religious views, and other behavior. Those who go cruising tend to be a little more open, but often not that much. Fortunately there are plenty of cruisers, and groups of varying lifestyles. And if one pursues friendships with cruisers from other lands, and the locals, there are rewards to be reaped as long as one withholds judgement.

BTW one advantage the church-goers have is that they have a ready "in" wherever they go. They just find an appropriate church in every new port and show up for Sunday services. It seems they always get a warm welcome, and connection to locals who are not just after the tourist dollar.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 16:42   #79

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Reading trough this Topic the more strange for me the question, only you decide to be a cruiser. If we say NO you stay ashore?
Old 28-02-2018, 16:53   #80

What part of "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" dont you understand?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:07   #81

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Since when people need approval from others to live their lives. PS I prefer a good Single Malt.
Old 28-02-2018, 18:16   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
And they no doubt reciprocate. In the US folks tend to not be very open to different people. Most social groupings share a common political party, religious views, and other behavior. Those who go cruising tend to be a little more open, but often not that much. Fortunately there are plenty of cruisers, and groups of varying lifestyles. And if one pursues friendships with cruisers from other lands, and the locals, there are rewards to be reaped as long as one withholds judgement.

BTW one advantage the church-goers have is that they have a ready "in" wherever they go. They just find an appropriate church in every new port and show up for Sunday services. It seems they always get a warm welcome, and connection to locals who are not just after the tourist dollar.

Greg

Well said Greg
Pieter Lanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 18:40   #83

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Well, neither Ann nor I were church-goers in our land based lives, but have often attended services in island village situations throughout the Pacific. The services are typically not in English, so we can't follow the verbiage, but the singing and the warm welcome extended to us made the experiences most enjoyable. In one way, it's kinda hypocritical, since we are not believers, but we are honoring their local mores by attending, showing respect for their beliefs even if we do not share them. This practice has often opened doors to further interactions with the locals, and we recommend it to other cruisers in such areas.

Jim
Old 28-02-2018, 19:33   #84

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransflyer View Post
As we study sailing and cruising, my wife and I are more excited each day to buy a boat, outfit it, and sail away.
RE: The drinking/smoking (etc) or not aboard ships at port...

We ran across some hard-core abstainers along the coast from Vancouver down to San Diego and on the Sea of Cortez. They went their way and we ours.

Once we headed out to the Marquesas and island hopping throughout the South Pacific - well out there it's pretty much do as you like and associate with whom you will.... or those that'll tolerate ya When there's only two boats in the anchorage it's kind of strange not to drop by for a chat.

Comes down to it, SAFETY is priority one. Somebody needs help, that call comes on 16, then nobody gives a rats about somebodies personal/moral/religious/political stance. You help. And they'll help you.

All that other stuff is really live & let live. Ya can't pick your parents but you can pick your friends! Here's an idea for a flag for your portside signal halyard - no ambiguity there.
Attached Images

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 19:58   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Can we know why? For instance, if it is:

1. You are recovering

vs

2. Religious reasons

or

3. You just don't like the stuff
All 3 and any others that can be added.
Seeing humans get destroyed by the spirits is enough to make you run in the opposite direction.
Old 28-02-2018, 20:30   #86
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Overwork and mind-altering substances, those I've been able to let go of.

But sex or chocolate - or the combination - may well be the death of me, but knowing that doesn't mean I'll listen to anyone tell me to give 'em up!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 00:05   #87

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Just remember. as boat captain you have a LEGAL responsibility similar to a car driver....and DUI is severely discouraged....penalised..etc.
Bill
A long time ago I was taught a life philosophy by a very very smart man, which I should have included in my earlier post. It is the only thing I should have posted, really, because it covers all of us brilliantly:

Enjoy yourself, and be kind.

This is to be yourself how you like (whether you drink or not), and be nice to others (meaning do no harm to others, ie don't harrass someone for drinking, don't harrass someone for NOT drinking, and obviously, don't drink and sail )

Everything in the whole world fits right in there between those lines. Nothing else is needed.

Enjoy yourself, and be kind.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12   #88
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Peace of mind should remain top priority.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
... BTW one advantage the church-goers have is that they have a ready "in" wherever they go. They just find an appropriate church in every new port and show up for Sunday services. It seems they always get a warm welcome, and connection to locals who are not just after the tourist dollar.
Greg
This also works for the non-believer, like I. We often attended church services, for the camaraderie, and local "connection". The choirs were often worth the price of admission, as well.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:50   #90

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What part of "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" dont you understand?
The two 'Hos'. ;^)

I don't keep soda on board. I feel the overuse of sugar is as bad or worse than bacon or booze. It's ruined entire communities (watch "that sugar show"). I don't have a problem with people bringing it on board for their own consumption though.

As for alcohol, I toast the sunset underway, and have a beer or two in the afternoon. At anchor, I don't need the sunset toast, and when invited to a fellow boat (I know, right? Invite 'me' on your boat, hahaha) I happily follow their rules.

I can substitute booze with a bowl of crack easily enough if anyone is offended.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser