Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-06-2016, 17:17   #1

Campoven

Hi I am a guy trying to equip a galley for cruising. Obviously limited space.
I have a 2 burner hob but no oven I am wondering can I get away without putting in an oven buy using a heavy camp stove pot Possibly made of cast iron as a stove alternative for baking bread ect Iknow these work fine when one is able to put coals onto the top as well as the bottom. Any thoughts.

Old 27-06-2016, 17:29   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Campoven

This might be the thing for you

Omnia Stove Top Baking Oven

Old 27-06-2016, 17:39   #3

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

We inherited a backcountry camp oven, made in Wyoming for outfitters. It is an aluminum box with a removable lid that holds two layers of grate. The lid has a thermometer. You just put it on your stove. My wife cooked a lot of breads, and other baked items. It worked great.
Old 27-06-2016, 18:57   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35

We are the same, a two burner propane range with no oven. For $30 we got the Coleman camp oven and it's perfect. Can cook anything from cakes to roasts.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...eman+camp+oven
Old 27-06-2016, 18:59   #5

Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7

I removed our alcohol stove and put in a camping propane oven with 2 burner top. It works great, but you need to keep clearances for heat and circulation to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. Very doable if you are smart about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467079168635.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	127056  
Old 27-06-2016, 18:59   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35

Two more things.
1. We can use it on the barbecue as well as the stove top.
2. It folds flat. About 1" thick when folded.
Old 27-06-2016, 20:08   #7

As always. What a remarkable resource this site is for us cruisers. All great options. Thanks I will seek out both options and we'l see which is easiest to get and choose from there. Thanks
Old 20-08-2016, 01:34   #8

Boat: Grampian 26

I bought the same one as Chris Mac shows above, which is a Camp Chef oven... Depending on where you buy them from the price ranges from $199 on up to $350, but if you keep your eye on eBay, brand new units can be purchased for less. I got mine for $169 and free shipping a few months ago, and I tell you what, they are a lot better built and heavier than what I expected it would be. The burners are brass, and light with a touch of a button, and its a handsome stove/oven.

I haven't actually "installed" it in my galley yet, some alterations will have to be made to fit it, and I'm considering adding gimbles when I do. They sell an adapter hose to use with a larger tank instead of the portable canisters which I'll probably do.

I was wondering if Chris Mac installed a exhuast hood over his, which is what I am considering.
Here's a picture showing some details and measurements. I really like mine, its nice! I have non use for the wind guards.

Old 20-08-2016, 02:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

how about this one?

Force 10 2-Burner European Compact Propane Gas Stove With Oven

Comparable to the one above at all? Apples and oranges?
Old 20-08-2016, 02:10   #10

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
how about this one?

Force 10 2-Burner European Compact Propane Gas Stove With Oven

Comparable to the one above at all? Apples and oranges?
Well, its only $1,200 more than the Camp Chef cost... And more then I paid for my boat.
Decisions decisions...
Old 20-08-2016, 02:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by end80 View Post
Well, its only $1,200 more than the Camp Chef cost... And more then I paid for my boat.
Decisions decisions...
Ok let me put it this way: I wonder if the Camp Chef is half as good as the Force 10? Offering much better value for money?
Old 20-08-2016, 04:24   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We have the camp chef on our macgreggor.
I think its an ok choice, the stove works well and the controls are great!
But I wonder if its a good choice for long term use? Its a camp stove and designed to be used out doors. Small amounts of fuel leakage are inconsequential in its intended use. But any lose tolerances could be deadly on a boat with a bilge. Think of all that propane settling.

Certainly the build quality is not comperable to force 10.

In our mac we did not do a permanent instal. We use the 1lb canisters and remove it before we sail the boat. Because it isnt intended for indoor use or a marine environment, I would not be comfortable keeping the gas hooked up full time. But tgat maybe my own paranoia.

I will say that its the best camp cooker Ive ever had. The burner regulators work welĺ. If you put the flame on low, it stays on low. Im not sure the oven is very efficient though. It does not have a lot of insulation. You will probably just waste gas trying to keep the oven temp up on a cold or windy day. But I dont know for sure, we have never used the oven
Old 20-08-2016, 04:53   #13

Boat: 38' French Cat

We use the omnia and also the stove top Coleman camp oven. Wife loves both. Both over a year old and with full time use have held up well. The Coleman does need some tinfoil to seal an edge or two but stores away easily

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-08-2016, 05:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We have the camp chef on our macgreggor.
I think its an ok choice, the stove works well and the controls are great!
But I wonder if its a good choice for long term use? Its a camp stove and designed to be used out doors. Small amounts of fuel leakage are inconsequential in its intended use. But any lose tolerances could be deadly on a boat with a bilge. Think of all that propane settling.

Certainly the build quality is not comperable to force 10.

In our mac we did not do a permanent instal. We use the 1lb canisters and remove it before we sail the boat. Because it isnt intended for indoor use or a marine environment, I would not be comfortable keeping the gas hooked up full time. But tgat maybe my own paranoia.

I will say that its the best camp cooker Ive ever had. The burner regulators work welĺ. If you put the flame on low, it stays on low. Im not sure the oven is very efficient though. It does not have a lot of insulation. You will probably just waste gas trying to keep the oven temp up on a cold or windy day. But I dont know for sure, we have never used the oven
I know what you are saying.. It's just that the Force 10 prices seem so inflated. Shouldn't be rocket science building a reasonably priced safe stove oven..
Old 20-08-2016, 08:35   #15

Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by end80 View Post
I bought the same one as Chris Mac shows above, which is a Camp Chef oven... Depending on where you buy them from the price ranges from $199 on up to $350, but if you keep your eye on eBay, brand new units can be purchased for less. I got mine for $169 and free shipping a few months ago, and I tell you what, they are a lot better built and heavier than what I expected it would be. The burners are brass, and light with a touch of a button, and its a handsome stove/oven.

I haven't actually "installed" it in my galley yet, some alterations will have to be made to fit it, and I'm considering adding gimbles when I do. They sell an adapter hose to use with a larger tank instead of the portable canisters which I'll probably do.

I was wondering if Chris Mac installed a exhuast hood over his, which is what I am considering.
Here's a picture showing some details and measurements. I really like mine, its nice! I have non use for the wind guards.

I didn't do an exhaust hood, my galley is right by the companionway. I always have the boards off when I cook.
When I installed it I set up clearance from the hull, and added heat shields. I have a brake for bending aluminum, so that made it easy for me. I also ran it for a couple hours in place to check temps around the outside before I locked it in.
I didn't use gimbals. I often cook while underway, and the oven stays closed even in rough weather.
The wind guards are kinda in the way but I use them to prop the lid up while cooking. The lid is nice when not cooking, as extra counter space.
In terms of propane leaks, any fitting can leak if it isn't done right. I put in a propane, monoxide sniffer to be safe. I haven't had any leaks yet, and I've run through 3 bottles.
It is a great unit for a small boat, or day sailor. I would rather have something like the force 10 on a live aboard, it all depends on your needs.

Tags
oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: