Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 15:43   #1

Boat: 1965 Finisterre/ Sparkman&Stephens based.
CAMP STOVE

Hi there, Ive been looking for a stove;oven for my 32 feet boat. Really expensive stuff, Iove ve been offered a camp stove like this one

Camp Chef Portable Camp Oven - Sportsman's Warehouse

Not sure if this will do the job and if Im be able to adapt to be swinging and also the connector for the tank.

Any toughts?

Thank you!
diegomaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 19:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: CAMP STOVE

I know of one motorboat liveaboard, who use one located on their sundeck. The oven is not thermostatically controlled and it's pretty light weight and not insulated very well.

I being very frugal, replaced my 42 year old RV stove in my sailboat with a new atwood wedgewood RV stove. Pretty much identical to this one. RV Atwood 3 Burner Stove w Oven Black Wedgewood Vision 31 Special Sale | eBay

It cooks like a home stove. That is the burners heat foods as fast as a land stove. The oven has all the safeties and is thermostaticelly controlled. I'm am very pleased with it. I used the old gymbal mounts which worked out well. I added a latch to the back to lock it in place. The door and oven walls do not get hot when the oven is on.

The big difference between the Atwood stove and a marine stove is the top burners are no auto cutoff on flame failure and of course it's not stainless steel. But my old stove lasted 42 years. If the new one lasts half that long, I'll be happy.

There are Force 10 flame failure burners for about $100 ish each, that might be able to retofit with a lot of work. Myself, I don't worry about it. I don't leave the stove top unattended when cooking. Plus I have a propane sniffer that will shut the gas off on leak.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 19:45   #3

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: CAMP STOVE

Do you really need an oven? If so, SC has the inexpensive way to go.. (Assuming you're plumbed for propane). Yup, it's not ABYC certified and stuff, but you can decide if it's gonna blow up the boat or not. (Get a propane detector fosure)

OTOH, I really like my alcohol Origo. Simple as simple can be and safe. Mine is only the top burners, no idea on if the alcohol oven works.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote