Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-02-2015, 19:51   #61

Re: Cabin lighting by cost ... and safety

Since it takes a lot of efforts to produce energy on board the savings of LED compared to the old Light bulbs are substancial. With the energy to run 1-2 of the old incandescent today the whole boat is covered. Under a practical few I donīt see any better choice.
Was allways wondering how so many talk about quality issues with the LEDs.
Well, i can not confirm those issues as of yet and I am using ebay...so nothing special and same quality as in RV.
Anyhow I friend of mine had some problems and we investigated a little and came to the conclusion that also the quality of the energy plays a role. Using the charging spec of the battery manufacturer he adjusted all charging devices. We measured the changes on the high side of the voltage with spikes between 14,5 to 15 volts, while till now we have never found out what the max. voltage tolerances for the LED really are.
After installing a stabalizing transformer for the whole LED circuit the situation has improved a lot ....not that they last for ever but since than he says he is changing may be 1 LED per year if at all, while before he had to change at least 5-8 per year on the whole RV. I think also bad contact might be a reason for problems.
To me that means also quality of the energy plays a role and it might be recomandable to inspect where LEDs burn out more than expected specially in more primitive installations for example like 2 different circuits of batteries charged by just one alternator of the engine.
As far as safety issues I think itīs the safest light around allways if properly cooled. In higher wattage LEDs a heat sink would be a good idear specially with smaller enclosed fixtures to stabalize the temperature wich is the only other source for failure

Old 21-02-2015, 14:49   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

As the queen of backups for my backups, and noting that it was in the 30s in Key West last night, I'm keen on having at least one light that also provides real heat (mine is kerosene).. However,I'm also gradually going LED as the budget allows. Take your time and consider not just new bulbs but new fixtures where appropriate. This is a site that offers everything LED.
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-7066966-12033918

Old 22-02-2015, 13:01   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
As the queen of backups for my backups, and noting that it was in the 30s in Key West last night, I'm keen on having at least one light that also provides real heat (mine is kerosene).. However,I'm also gradually going LED as the budget allows. Take your time and consider not just new bulbs but new fixtures where appropriate. This is a site that offers everything LED.
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-7066966-12033918
Nice source...looks like over all fair pricing and lotīs of applications. Should make a LED project a nice job. I would seperate in one project inside and the other outside.
As to quality.....there is only good ones and bad ones for me. Until somebody can explain me the difference to supposed marine quality thatīs what I use.
Old 27-08-2015, 17:09   #64

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've seen the Blue Seas dual USB sockets which install into a lighter-socket-sized hole. They are very nice but a bit spendy for our little boat. What sort of no-load current were you measuring?

[edit - the Blue Seas site claims 15 mA of no-load draw. Not that bad. ]

For our boat I'm embarrassed to disclose that I hacksawed the dual-USB jacks off of some discarded motherboards, soldered some leads to them, and epoxied each into a flange of fiberglass scrap which allows them to mount flush into a square hole.

I'm powering them from this type of DC step-down module - boxed, fused and adjusted to 5V. I haven't measured the no-load draw but I think it's no more than 10 mA.

We're freshwater sailors, and the boat equipment spends the winter in a warm basement, so there's less potential for corrosion. And at $3 per gooseneck light...
Thanks,

I took your USB LED light idea and used it on my boat.

The Blue-Sea sockets were ridiculously priced, so I got some with a surface mount enclosure from China for $7US delivered to my door:
Good Quality Brand New Wholesale Price 12 24V Outlet Waterproof Double USB Power Port 5V 1A+2.1A Car Charger Adapter-in Cigarette Lighter from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Added a switch to the bottom for a few cents and now I have a bunch of USB charging stations/LED lights around the boat. I have ordered some USB fans for less that $2 to try as well.

Cheers,
JM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USBLED.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	108020  
Old 27-08-2015, 18:00   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I like plain vanilla incandescent light, which uses heaps of amps ...

I like warm CFL light, it is energy efficient ... but it requires an inverter going ...

I like warm superLED lamps now, probably where I will end up for the next couple of years.

b.

Tags
cabin, lighting, safety

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: