Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 18:55   #1

BVI: Less "Touristy" Places

We cruising the BVI in mid May and always prefer places not frequented by tourists. Looking forward to suggestions.
Thanks
bvi2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 20:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: bvi less "touristy" places

ROTFLMBO..... thats like crusing Somalia and wanting a pirate free zone....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 20:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: bvi less "touristy" places

I completely agree with Boatman.

Unless you can afford to rent Necker Island, your probably going to be involved knee deep in other tourists and their activities.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 20:25   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

bvi nowadays feels like New York at rush hour Any bay or harbor that's nice will have a ton of people. And now not only sailors, but also powerboaters/sportsfisherment coming from PR for a weekend or a week. The Bight is pretty much their playground now.

It's still beautiful but don't expect to be able to get away from people too far
Old 22-03-2011, 21:14   #5
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

Well we were there in June/July 2010. We enjoyed a Full Moon Party at Bomba's Shack (next time we will go back to the one at Trellis bay). We also participated in pirate dinghy poker run in the bight. Then a Flotilla to Anegada. We spent 2 weeks there and found some quite bays on Norman Island (really great snorkeling). We also had a really great time at the Soggy Dollar bar. You will no doubt notice that many of the things we did were very "touristy", however, the most crowded place we were at was just a few minutes away from some of the most quite untouched, unspoiled places as well.

One way to reduce the number of people is pick a time when there is nothing special going on. Of course that means you miss some really great party's. Check the calender and avoid the full moon. Look at the Leverick bay schedule of events and miss the "big" event for the month (Leverick Bay Annual Poker Run, 9th edition Memorial Day Weekend- May 28 -30, 2010). Look for other "big things" going on the other islands and avoid them as well. That is what the internet is good for, so do your homework and miss all the party's that will give you a less touristy view of the BVI.

Of course you could work it the other way, find the big party's going on when you will be there, and enjoy them then sail away to some quiet bay for some alone time.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 22:24   #6

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob

was there at end of april start of may last year, was not bad at all. By no means did we have a whole bay to ourselves but coming from the states it was down right empty.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

A may charter is going to be "slow" anyway. Try these:

Peter Island
Cooper Island
Anegada
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 23:03   #8

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Try Benures Bay on northern side of Norman Island or Money Bay on the southern side, depending on winds; possibly Savannah Bay on Virgin Gorda if no northerly swell or winds; enough room for 2 boats to anchor between Machioneel Bay and Long Bay south of Little Jost Van Dyke island in front of the lone house and well outside the moorings. In Gorda Sound, anchor west of Prickly Pear Island well north of Vixen Point to avoid the tourist boats.

If you go to St. John, try Little Lameshur Bay on the southern side and Waterlemon Bay on the NE side. Do not go to these without properly clearing in as we have seen Coast Guard checking boats in the past.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 23:32   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll second the recommendation for Lameshur Bay and Waterlemon Cay (the bay is actually called Leinster Bay).

St. John has a number of places that do not fill up with BVI charter boats (probably because checking in/out is a hassle) and is (imho) absolutely beautiful.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:38   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

A few years ago, we were the only boat anchored in Oil Nut Bay at the NE tip of Virgin Gorda. A very pretty spot, but I've heard there's a development going in now, so it's days are numbered, I suspect.
Old 24-03-2011, 04:06   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I've found that as soon as a charter boat anchors in a quiet secluded area, other charter boats will soon follow. The trick is to anchor somewhere quiet and immediately turn on you stereo and generator, and throw on a speedo. This may help ward off other boats until sunset though it is not 100% effective. In case of failure, you immediately become the weird guy in a speedo listening to classic rock (Jimmy Buffet will always attract other boats).
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 06:18   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

To add to the list of places in the BVI where charterers are scarce - my favorite is Salt Island Bay, Salt Island. There are no moorings, so only diehard cruisers and experience charterers go there. It is a very interesting island to explore and wander around.
- - Another less visited by charterers is Cane Garden Bay on the north side of Tortola. Although there are plenty of "locals" with moorings and some moorings for rent, by and large "newbie" charterers stay away as you have to enter a reef passage to get inside.
- - In the same vein, Leverick Bay Resort in Gorda Sound is a favorite of mine as my main goal is to sail from great restaurant to great restaurant and Leverick Bay has a 5 star one. Also the moorings are always available and cheap considering that they used to hand out a free bag of ice and unlimited potable water refill to attract mooring customers. Don't know if they still do that, but the place is downright cute and not crowded.
- - If you know what you are doing, skill-wise on a boat then anchoring behind Eustatia Island northeast of Gorda Sound is a favorite of long-time cruisers who pass through the BVI's.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 06:35   #13

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
I've found that as soon as a charter boat anchors in a quiet secluded area, other charter boats will soon follow. The trick is to anchor somewhere quiet and immediately turn on you stereo and generator, and throw on a speedo. This may help ward off other boats until sunset though it is not 100% effective. In case of failure, you immediately become the weird guy in a speedo listening to classic rock (Jimmy Buffet will always attract other boats).

I've always found my collection of Barry Manilow CDs to be particularly effective. Best of all is the Bob Marley tribute album that he recorded on his last tour of Jamaica. Look out for it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 09:20   #14

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I agree with the comments about finding lots of fellow charterers in most anchorages. I'd also add that the BVI's are very unpopulated and, depending on your interests, it's not hard to leave the tourists behind. If you are willing to stretch your legs, the road up to the top of Jost van Dyck from either White Bay or Little Harbor will take you away from tourist land very quickly and give you wonderful views. Anegada has been mentioned. I haven't been to Loblolly Bay for a few years and I've heard that the snorkeling isn't as good as in the past. However, it's a beautiful beach which is often empty or nearly so. Even the Bitter End on Virgin Gorda has some nice short hikes over the hill from Biras Creek which give great views of the area and take you away from fellow charterers.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 09:27   #15

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Plus one for Peter Island. You can take a ball in their protected harbor (not sure how much $$ per day), or you can anchor in Deadman's Bay (beautiful). Both of these are on the Drake Channel side. You could also go around on the other side of the Island and anchor at White Bay. You will likely be the only boat over there on that side, and the beach is deserted.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bvi, British Virgin Islands