Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 03:06   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
pirate Bring on the Muffin Recipes, & Help Prevent a Riot - "The Breakfast Challenge Pt.3"

Okay, so it seems Ann T. Cate, managed to spot some of the hidden (to me, & others) ulterior motives in my deepest Unconscious. Regarding this "Breakfast Challenge" Recipe Quest [Series]. If in doubt about such, please go read the 'Nekked, & Delicious" truth, in Part 2.

Still, I'm itching to add some good recipes to my "quiver", for a soon pending deliver... and for future delectabilities in the am. And in this case, the topic would be (drum roll please) - MUFFINS
Especially as, in the last chapter of this series, it seems that folks were chomping @ the bit, to both share, & read of the magical ingredient combo's, in various B'fast quick bread formulas.

And with that said, "Cry Havoc, & let loose...", er, oops, wrong quote. But please, fire away with those muffin recipes. However, here's a challenge for all you closet gourmands out there. Not every vessel has an oven onboard, so, I double dog dare you to dig into your "MK Ultra" (secret) Chef's Notes, & scare up some delish' stovetop muffin 'formula' as well.

Thanks (in Advance),
UNCIVILIZED

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 14:28   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Bring on the Muffin Recipes, & Help Prevent a Riot - "The Breakfast Challenge Pt.

I bake sausage muffins ahead of time for a quick breakfast when we are cruising. They store and freeze well. For those who don't have ovens, I have a friend who loves her Omnia stove top oven.

Sausage Muffins:
1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
1/2 Cup chopped onion
3 Cups Bisquick
1 1/2 Cups milk
1 Cup grated cheese

Brown sausage and onion in a skillet then drain.
Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, then add sausage mixture.
Stir until all ingredients are blended. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Old 01-07-2015, 17:30   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Bring on the Muffin Recipes, & Help Prevent a Riot - "The Breakfast Challenge Pt.

Sugar 180 g
Butter or lard 120 g
Eggs 2
Flour 270 g
Baking powder 10 g
Milk 145 ml
Splash of vanilla
Cream sugar and butter, add eggs slowly, add dry and wet together. Bake at 400 f. Until done.
Cake flour works better but who ever really has it.I just use all purpose.
This is a basic recipe that you can add whatever fruit, nuts or flavours you want. Wild raspberries or blueberries are my favourite.
I used this in several hotels and restaurants back in a previous lifeas a chef a couple decades ago.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 18:09   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lemon-Ginger Muffins
2 T. coarse chopped, peeled fresh ginger root
1/4 c. butter, soft
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, large
1 c. plain yoghurt, buttermilk, or milk to which you have added 1 T. lemon juice
2 T. grated lemon zest (1 - 2 lemons)
2 c. flour
2 T. additional sugar
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice.

Preheat oven to 3375 deg. F. (190 deg. C). Oil muffin tin, Peel and chop gingerr.

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add ginger and lemon peel, mix well.

Stir backing soda into yoghurt, buttermilk or soured milk. it will foam quickly. Fold flour into ginger mix, 1/3 at a time, alternately with yoghurt mix. When well blended, load in muffin tin. Do not over-blend.

Bake 18-20 min, or till golden and springy to touch.

While muffins bake, combine lemon juice and remaining sugar in bow large enough to accommodate muffins, stir till sugar dissolves. When muffins are done, remove from oven and cool 3 to 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and dif top and bottom iin the sugared lemon juice. Can serve warm, with butter.

As an aside, note that one can substitute yoghurt plus soda for milk in pancake recipes, too, and makes a lovely texture.

Ann
Old 01-07-2015, 18:17   #5

BISCUIT MIX

If you want to make biscuit mix ahead, this recipe will keep in an airtight container up to 3 months. What follows is only enough for one batch.

Flour, 2 cups.
3 t. double acting bakiing powder
1 t. salt
1/4 c shortening, cut in til cornmeal consistency

Keep the ratios and just increase for larger amounts.

For coffee cake, to the above add 3/4 c. sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 c. milk; bake in 9x9" pan at 375-400F. For pancakes, add 1 egg, 3/4 to 1 c. milk, per 1 c. of mix.

Ann
Old 01-07-2015, 18:25   #6

And now for the last, simple Skillet English Muffins:

1 c. warm water
1 T. dry yeast
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt (optional)1/4 c. oil
3 c. flour
corn meal

Dissolve yeast in water, add salt, oil and sugar. Beat in flour. Form into 1/3 " rounds. Sprinkle corn meal in 2 heavy 10" skillets, or on griddle, place rounds on corn meal. Let rise till double (about 1/2 hr.), sprinkle corn meal on top rounds. Bake on medium heat about 7 min. per side, covered.

Variations:

Use different types of flours for different tastes. 1/3 rye flour, 1 T. caraway seeds, and 1 small onion minced, with meats.

Whole wheat flour, 1 to 1-1/2 c. is good, and then add one handful sunflower seeds.

All for now.

Ann
Old 01-07-2015, 19:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Oh come on! where are the links & photos for cute lil' muffins?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MUFFIN 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	104520   Click image for larger version

Name:	MUFFIN 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	104521  

Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:04   #8

Boat: 47' Cutter

Muffins are boat favourite. Its so easy and quick to knock up a batch.

This is adapted from Nigella Lawson’s “Jam Doughnut Muffins”. I make six big ones, whereas the recipe is for 12 mini muffins.

125ml Milk
85ml Corn oil ( I use sunflower oil)
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract

With a fork beat together the above

200g Self raising flour
100 g caster sugar

Stir into liquid roughly. Do not over mix

Add to the above as many blueberries or raspberries or other goodies as you dare – 100g + ish

190 deg C/Gas 5 for about 20 mins

The raspberry version can be a bit “volcanic” but looks spectacular. For the original version, fill the mould 1/3 full then spoon in jam and top with the rest of the mixture. Once cooked, brush with melted butter and roll in sugar to coat. I haven’t tried this last stage – a bit too much sugar for my taste.

No sexy pics of the results, but one of the lovely Nigella. Glad that she’s allowed Stateside again. She's grrrreat.

http://www.heart.co.uk/photos/celebrity-photos/15-sexiest-nigella-lawson/muffin/

MooseMarine

PS. I have a plastic measuring jug that has measurements for flour and sugar in grams/oz. For boat baking/cooking the American “cup” recipes are so much more practical.
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes