Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38   #31

Re: Bread on Stovetop. Pressure Cooker or Not?

Anyone have a good gluten free bread recipe? I love bread but can no longer tolerate gluten. Sigh.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 17:14   #32

Boat: X-Yacht, Xp44, 13.29M
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Anyone have a good gluten free bread recipe? I love bread but can no longer tolerate gluten. Sigh.
I became gluten free recently and use a great gluten free bread flour from Leueke, here in Australia. I decided I would have to create my own as I presume a can not get It in Europe. I tried to use flours that should be readily available. i have also used it with sorghum flour but was not sure i can get that overseas. This has been fairly successful although I bake it in the oven. Having seen the posts I will try the next one on the stove top.

Recipe
100 rice flour. (2/3cup)
50 g soy flour. (1/2 cup)
200 potato flour. (1 1/4 cups)
100 g Tapiocca flour. (3/4cups)
25 g psyllium. (1/8 cup)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
500 water
1 Tbsp olive oil

The cup measurements are approx and for ease.
Mix all together the mix should be a heavy paste but not a dough
I most times add a 1/4 cup mix of sunflower seeds, lecithin, linseed.

I place a large lid on either side then place a tea towel over the top, sometimes damp.
Let rise for approx 30 minutes depending on surrounding warmth.

The bread will not rise anymore in the oven. Bake in oven 200deg C for about 35 minutes.

I will work on the stovetop one next week

Glenda
GlendaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 22:21   #33

Boat: Sadler 25

I just use an ordinary saucepan. I coat it with butter and oats, pop in the bread dough and cook over lowest heat possible (use flame tamer). I don't put a lid on as the steam makes the top soggy, when the bread is done, I use a plate to flip it and brown and crisp the top (which is now the bottom).
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 18:14   #34

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Hi
I have been baking bread and cake and brownies in my pressure cooker for years.
Remove the rubber gasket. No water. Any heavy pot will do it does not have to be a pressure cooker. Use a trivit... You do not want the bread pan or cake pan touching the bottom of the pot. A bunt cake pan works great because it creates a hole in the center of the cake or bread allowing it to cook more evenly, you dont get a goopy uncooked dough in the center of your loaf of bread because there is no center. Use low heat. Use the lid. Grease and flour your pan. For brownies or other thin cakes i use a pie tin. Cover it with foil. Place it in the bottom of the pressure cooker or pot on top of a trivit. Always use low heat. Depending on the flow of your stove it will take slightly longer to cook than what a recipe will call for. Sometimes it has to cook twice as long. Opening it to check it is ok. Like opening the oven door. I bake italian bread. Whole wheat bread. Banana bread. Spice cake. Chocolate cake. Brownies. Just follow the recipe in your cook book. Low heat. Trivit. Magic....bread.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote