Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 12:55   #16
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
We are cruising right now with 3 kids... food gets expensive, especially when we go through a loaf of bread a day!!!

Ok, I can definitely see a break maker (or prep cook!) being needed in this case! WOW! I can't even imagine going through a loaf a day.

Dave : "Her name is Donna!" ha ha! Classic!

For the record, my wife and I share all duties evenly, although sometimes we each specialize in something if we are particularly good at it. We share bread kneeding duties, she goes aloft and I do head plumbing and other nasties.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 14:47   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rogers View Post
My wife is looking for recommendations on models and brands of Bread makers
One which I just sold prior to leaving ustralia was the Breville Ultimate Breadmakers Oven Ckick for details --> Breville - Products
Its is absolutly sensational! The loaf is the right length and shape.
It is SO easy to use and the bread it makes is FAR superior to anything you have EVER bought in a shop.
As soon as I get propper power on a boat I will have this bread maker again.

The timer function is one of the most wonderful features. You can set the time you want the loaf read, ie breakfast or when guests arrive and the whole house if full of the wonderfull aroma......

I miss my breadmaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 14:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We have a Breville Wok. They make very nice appliances.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 15:24   #19

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
We have a Breville breadmaker at home. It works really well every time. However, we do not take a breadmaker on the boat. Space on board is a premium anyway, plus, for me, cruising is about simplifying my life, so we are happy to just make bread in the oven rather than carrying a breadmaker... one tends to have more time on ones hands when cruising anyway.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 06:33   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
We are cruising right now with 3 kids... food gets expensive, especially when we go through a loaf of bread a day!!!

<snip>

I have never made bread the "hard" way, so I couldn't comment on that. All I know is, I dump the ingredients in, push a button and get a wonderful smell followed by a quickly eaten loaf of bread.
Ok, I can definitely see a break maker (or prep cook!) being needed in this case! WOW! I can't even imagine going through a loaf a day.
3 kids = 3 breadmakers.

Making bread the old-fashioned way isn't hard and doesn't take long.

It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get two loaves worth of dough ready for first rise, including clean up. I put the bowl of dough in the engine room to rise (it's always warm in there). 5 - 10 minutes to punch down, divide into loaf pans, and back into engine room for second rise. Bake in engine or barbecue grill.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 08:12   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
3 kids = 3 breadmakers.

Making bread the old-fashioned way isn't hard and doesn't take long.

It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get two loaves worth of dough ready for first rise, including clean up. I put the bowl of dough in the engine room to rise (it's always warm in there). 5 - 10 minutes to punch down, divide into loaf pans, and back into engine room for second rise. Bake in engine or barbecue grill.
Cool! I like your way better, but I do sympathize with anyone who has to make bread for 3 kids. OUCH!
Old 27-03-2008, 03:23   #22

Boat: Subzero 13 metre Grainger catamaran
I have a Sunbeam breadmaker which I use for kneading and proving. I then put the loaf in the oven to cook because the breadmaker takes too much power. I get good bread in about 2 hours and I don't have to stand about playing with dough. I think it is well worth the small amout of storage space it occupies.
Cherylle
subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:34   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
We have a Zojirushi bread maker which is great and top rated. They make a full size and a mini version. We have the full size but the mini has a very small footprint for use on a boat. We find that we seldom use the machine to bake the bread. Instead we let it take care of the mixing, rising, and kneading. We then transfer the dough either to loaf pans or form baguettes to bake in the oven.

Here is a review site:

Bread Machine Reviews; Best Bread Machines, Breadmakers
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 12:02   #24

Boat: 42SS' Carver 'Bear Essentials II'
I (the cook) combine two threds found here. I make my own dough from scratch. But I make A LOT of it. Then put in individual small loaf pans, put in engine room because it's the warmest place on the boat for 10 minutes for the first rise.

I then remove the loaf pans from the engine room, punch them down, cover with wax paper or saran wrap and freeze. When I want to have a loaf, pull a pan from the freezer, stuff in the engine room, wait for it to thaw and subsequently rise. Then pop it in the oven.

My wife is happy that she has fresh bread, the small loafs are the perfect size for the two of us, and they make a great thing to munch on while heading into the morning sun, en route to a new location.

Yet another variation on a simple thread!

Cheers
Bear Essentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 16:43   #25

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
sour dough

I have always made sour dough at home, yeast is the most expensive part of making bread. I love sour dough, I use a breadmaker with two paddles and an elongated pan, more like a normal loaf. I had to modify the breadmaker to allow extra and non uniform rise time for the sour dough. Basically I just put a switch in the electric heating element, the breadmaker thinks it's baking but it's not. Then when the dough is ready, I use the quick bread cycle and turn the heating element on. I haven't decided if the breadmaker will go on the boat yet, I have two of these at home and have an upright loaf machine on the boat I figured I'd use just for the kneading and proofing but bake in the oven. I'm sure I will be making sour dough just not sure of the details yet. Machine or hand kneading, oven or machine baking?
I'm also looking for a sour dough starter that has some history, mine is just something I've started from ordinary yeast a number of years ago. It would be nice to be able say the starter dates back to the magna carta or something.
Old 06-05-2008, 17:37   #26
cruiser

I didn't know you could freeze yeast and have it come back to life!!

What a great idea. I will have to try this.

BTW: A sourdough that dates back to the Magna Carta *would* be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Essentials View Post
I (the cook) combine two threds found here. I make my own dough from scratch. But I make A LOT of it. Then put in individual small loaf pans, put in engine room because it's the warmest place on the boat for 10 minutes for the first rise.

I then remove the loaf pans from the engine room, punch them down, cover with wax paper or saran wrap and freeze. When I want to have a loaf, pull a pan from the freezer, stuff in the engine room, wait for it to thaw and subsequently rise. Then pop it in the oven.

My wife is happy that she has fresh bread, the small loafs are the perfect size for the two of us, and they make a great thing to munch on while heading into the morning sun, en route to a new location.

Yet another variation on a simple thread!

Cheers
Old 07-05-2008, 00:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
... I'm also looking for a sour dough starter that has some history, mine is just something I've started from ordinary yeast a number of years ago. It would be nice to be able say the starter dates back to the magna carta or something.
For the price of a stamp, you can get a dried culture of a sourdough starter that has been maintained for more than 150 years, after having traveled from Missouri to Oregon.
Carl Griffith maintained and freely distributed this (family) starter for years until he died in 2000 at the age of 80. Since then, a number of his friends have kept the tradition and the culture alive for him.

See
Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter:
Carl Griffith Sourdough Page

How to Get Carl's Starter: Source

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 08:29   #28

Boat: Looking with intent
I am the bread maker at home and will be when we are sailing and can't buy any of the good stuff (We prefer old Southern Italian round loaf, but most of the good stuff on the continent will do. I make bread myself and need to do a few loafs as the store bought just does not taste right here in the UK unless you get Bakery bread which can get expensive (making is cheaper at present).
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 15:55   #29
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Nice thread I learned a lot thanks guys