Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 13:34   #1

Boat: Celestial 48 Ketch - Adventress
Bread Maker Aboard?

Do any of you Cruisers use a bread maker whilst on passage? I use a Panasonic at home and would like to use one on my next trip accross the pond. I plan to use the generator / main engine for about two hours a day to charge batterys and pull down the fridge and deepfreeze, during this time I would like to run the breadmaker on a quickbake program. The question is do they work well at sea? If they do I will be after a 110v Panasonic breadmaker.
wightknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 13:58   #2

Should be no problem.I used one for a year to do the mixing and rising and kneading.I did the baking in a propane oven.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 14:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We have done bread makers before. Check this thread out:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-13418.html

If you don't use one now it's more than likely you'll chuck it after a month.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 14:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
A dutch oven is a viable alternative, but it really heats up a galley. I've heard of them being used on a grill. As with any specialty item, storage is a serious issue, but it is multipurpose. You can use it as a crock pot or to steam a lot of shell fish.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 14:19   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think that all the negative comments about breadmakers aboard come from cruisers who don't have one aboard now and never had before. Not really experience talking imho....

We have the full size Zojirushi aboard and it's like the dremel-tool, vise-grips or dinghy: would never want to do without!!

Many complain about the space it takes up. Sure it does, so? I see so much junk that's carried on boats that is way less useful than a breadmaker. Toss some out and you have space for the breadmaker.
Also, carrying loaf-shaped dough in the freezer is much more wasting space in a much more precious location! We use the freezer for meat, fish etc.

Energy consumption... actually a breadmaker consumes much LESS energy than kneading by hand and using the oven. The oven wastes energy like nothing else but it's from a different source: propane instead of diesel. We carry lots of diesel but not so much propane: when in paradise, we need propane well before we need diesel. One can stay away using a breadmaker much longer than using the oven. True for any boat.

Heat.... forget about using the oven for baking bread in the tropics while staying below: it's unbearable. The heat generated by a breadmaker is nothing compared to the oven (the reason it's much more energy efficient). Using the BBQ outside for baking bread is better but wastes even more propane.

A breadmaker only consumes noticeable energy while in the baking phase. The mixing, kneading and rising phases don't count. We set the timer at night and wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread!

The bread produced by a good breadmaker is much better than using marine-ovens. I hear stories about some ovens being better but these manufacturers are all bankrupt. Our Force10 isn't up to the job (temperature not high enough). We love the bread oven-baked by fellow-cruisers but never found any that looked and/or tasted as good as the bread from the Zojirushi. Oven-baked is also much more dense/heavy (too much).

The Zojirushi is the best choice aboard because it's timer/program survives power-outages up to 3 minutes. One can easily switch from genset to inverter or the other way around. Most other breadmakers re-start which is the end of the bread. Also, it has user-definable programs and can bake anything. We also use it for all other dough making like for pizza etc.

The Zojirushi can do sourdough bread! This not only tastes better, it keeps much longer without using artificial preservatives!

Here in the Caribbean they sell dry active yeast in pound-packages for $5.- We keep some in the fridge for everyday use and the rest in the freezer. Keeps good forever. We use Tupperware spice containers which are 100% vapor tight so it doesn't get wet.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 20:13   #6

Boat: Tayana, 48 - Malachi
I thought it would be a real pain to make bread from scratch but it's not, it's actually quite easy, I make one that requires very little kneading and I also have a quick pizza dough recipe that works equally well for garlic breadsticks and such. Sometimes we have muffins or biscuits instead which are very quick and easy. I would have loved a bread machine but don't think I miss it at all, I don't think I would have used it enough to warrant it. I also have no idea where I would have stowed such a large appliance. If you're dead set on having a breadmaker, it sounds like Jedi has the best one.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 20:24   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
question for Nick, the Jedi Bread-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We have the full size Zojirushi aboard and it's like the dremel-tool, vise-grips or dinghy: would never want to do without!!
I've been looking at the Zojirushi mini for the boat, not so much because of the storage space but because a one-pound loaf will keep us happy for a few days, and we'd rather have the freshest-baked bread possible. Given this parameter, is there a better reason to go with the full-size unit?
Old 13-03-2009, 22:44   #8

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Google "no knead bread." I gave away my bread maker, which worked fine... this is SO easy, and no extra equipment eating counter space! We even carry a roll of parchment...

The only real requirement is an oven that you can trust to hold temperature (you change the temp while baking, starting very high then backing off). Some small gas ones are a bit random.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 14-03-2009, 05:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Pressure cooker bread is fabulous. No crust, like a steamed bun. Moist, delicious and easy.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 07:17   #10

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Are baguettes possible on a boat?

Fresh hot baguettes, mmmm
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 07:41   #11

Boat: Celestial 48 Ketch - Adventress
Thanks for all the info,
The reason I am looking for a panasonic 110v is that my panasonic at home willmake a quick loaf in 2 hrs and will suffer a 10min power outage. I recon that 2 hrs willbe the time per day that I will have to run the main engine or the gererator for batterys fridges and the smell of a fresh loaf at the end of the engine run will be great.
wightknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 08:09   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
We have the Breadman/Ultimate. We have used it while at anchor many times and LOVE it. We use while we are charging batteries and making water. I don't recall if we have ever used it while underway or just on engines, we run while our generator is on. We have a modified sine wave inverter and some computer based systems don't do well while on it, some do just fine (I have lost a coffee maker and a food processor, both had computer control systems). So, I am somewhat reluctant to try using it on the inverter now.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:01   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I have a very nice French bread maker.... with 2 legs!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:17   #14

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Google "no knead bread." I gave away my bread maker, which worked fine... this is SO easy, and no extra equipment eating counter space! We even carry a roll of parchment...

The only real requirement is an oven that you can trust to hold temperature (you change the temp while baking, starting very high then backing off). Some small gas ones are a bit random.

Cheers,
Steve
We LOVE no-knead bread. If your oven can handle it, IMO, it is much better than bread machine baked bread. Not to mention less work as there is nothing to wash. Just dust off the stone.

We keep a large container of dough at all times. Just about every meal we cook some up. The oven is running 9-10 months for heat anyway...

Now, in the tropics I can understand not wanting an oven. If the generator is running anyway, a breadmaker strikes me as a good option.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 14:47   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Fresh hot baguettes, mmmm
The first French Nicolle could say was: "Une bagette S'il vous plaît"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote