Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:12   #16

Pressure cooker, I am thinking pressure cooker is used in boiled beef or any meat that they want to be soft like that. It can be use in bread but like other members says it can be.
dmiranda91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 13:30   #17
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
I LOVE my aluminum pressure cooker

Cruising without an oven and only a two-burner kerosene Primus, I did a lot of baking in my cast aluminum pressure cooker, sans the rubber parts. You don't need a flame tamer because jeavy cast aluminum does such a great job of spreading heat evenly. Grease, scatter bottom and sides with cornmeal and put in dough for final rising. Lock on lid, cook over medium-low. I can recognize the smell that tells me the bread is just the right shade of brown. (top does not brown but bottom and sides do. It's out of print but my The Galley Book describes four methods for baking without an oven, two for pressure cooker and two for Dutch oven. Both are heavy cast aluminum, the type found cheap at yard sales. You can still find used copies of the book on Amazon. It's not a recipe book but a reference on provisioning and lots of old methods for food preservation such as corning, candying, etc.
Janet Groene, Janet Groene's BoatCook
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote