Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 18:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
Posts: 108
Images: 4
Bread Anyone ?

We have been experimenting with our pressure cooker and have actually produced a few loaves of bread . Now we are looking to try sourdough bread which I have heard is easier since you don't use yeast. Does anyone have a good starter receipt ?
__________________

__________________
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:27   #2
Registered User
 
BuckeyeTom's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Boat: Rinker 96 Captiva 190
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames
We have been experimenting with our pressure cooker and have actually produced a few loaves of bread . Now we are looking to try sourdough bread which I have heard is easier since you don't use yeast. Does anyone have a good starter receipt ?
You are making bread in a pcooker on a boat? What's it taste kike? Does it brown?
__________________

__________________
BuckeyeTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
FrankZ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Posts: 13,565
Images: 1
Re: Bread anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
Does anyone have a good starter receipt ?
Sourdough Home - An Exploration of Sourdough

This is a good site for learning about SD bread.
__________________
Sing to a sailor's courage, Sing while the elbows bend,
A ruby port your harbor, Raise three sheets to the wind.
......................-=Krynnish drinking song=-
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:43   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Bread anyone?

Look down at the bottom of this page and you will see some threads with good bread recipes.
__________________
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:50   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler
 
sarafina's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Posts: 5,559
Images: 56
Re: Bread anyone?

It is correct that you do not additional yeast when using a soudough starter. A sourdough starter is basically a live colony of yeast.

But as far as it being easier than other kinds of bread?

That would not be my experience...

= -P
__________________
Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:06   #6
Registered User
 
matauwhi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Mason 53
Posts: 652
Re: Bread anyone?

G'day, mate. The wife recently made a chocolate cheesecake in ours, so you can give desserts a go after the bread. I'll try to get a picture next time. Cheers.
__________________
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:07   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Have you tried Irish soda bread?
__________________
SV Sea Story adventures
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
FrankZ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Posts: 13,565
Images: 1
Re: Bread anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
It is correct that you do not additional yeast when using a soudough starter. A sourdough starter is basically a live colony of yeast.

But as far as it being easier than other kinds of bread?

That would not be my experience...

= -P
If your starter is active and healthy I don't think it is any more difficult than a yeast bread, more time consuming. At least that is my experience, those 8-12 hour rises eat up the day.
__________________
Sing to a sailor's courage, Sing while the elbows bend,
A ruby port your harbor, Raise three sheets to the wind.
......................-=Krynnish drinking song=-
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:41   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Bread anyone?

Every time I make bread on the boat it comes out thick enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon. A lady who cooks a lot around here said that it's normal and that she can only make bread onboard in the summer, which of course I have no desire to do, because who the hell cranks the oven and makes bread in the summer?
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:09   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Re: Bread anyone?

Aussie version


BUSH DAMPER

3 cups of self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Sift flour and salt into a bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Make a well in the centre, add the combined milk and water, mix lightly with a knife until dough leaves sides of bowl.
Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape into a round, put on a greased oven tray. Pat into a round 15-16 cm (6-6 1/2 inch) diameter.
With sharp knife, cut two slits across dough like a cross, approximately 1cm (1/2in) deep.
Brush top of dough with milk.
Sift a little extra flour over dough.
Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to moderate and bake another 20 minutes.
Best eaten the day it is made.

Can be frozen
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19   #11
Registered User
 
Deck Scrubber's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Macquarie Australia.
Boat: CT 54
Posts: 77
Re: Bread anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Aussie version


BUSH DAMPER

3 cups of self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Sift flour and salt into a bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Make a well in the centre, add the combined milk and water, mix lightly with a knife until dough leaves sides of bowl.
Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape into a round, put on a greased oven tray. Pat into a round 15-16 cm (6-6 1/2 inch) diameter.
With sharp knife, cut two slits across dough like a cross, approximately 1cm (1/2in) deep.
Brush top of dough with milk.
Sift a little extra flour over dough.
Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to moderate and bake another 20 minutes.
Best eaten the day it is made.

Can be frozen
Best eaten with Cockies joy.
__________________
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56   #12
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
Posts: 108
Images: 4
Re: Bread anyone?

All very interesting thank you! Yes we use a pressure cooker, without the regulator so it can breath. The lid still clamped down all the way. The bread needs to be flipped half way through the process. We use the cooking grate in the bottom wrapped in tin foil to reduce the chance of burning, on very low heat, smallest burner you have. It browns up nicely as develops a nice crust. Keeps the heat down in the cabin too.
__________________
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
FrankZ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Posts: 13,565
Images: 1
Re: Bread anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Every time I make bread on the boat it comes out thick enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon. A lady who cooks a lot around here said that it's normal and that she can only make bread onboard in the summer, which of course I have no desire to do, because who the hell cranks the oven and makes bread in the summer?
What sort of bread are you making?

You could be overkneading.

If you are making a high (or total) whole wheat you might need to add some wheat gluten. Or you could try an autolyse period (mix the dough, don't need and without the salt. Let it sit for about an hour, add salt and knead normally).
__________________
Sing to a sailor's courage, Sing while the elbows bend,
A ruby port your harbor, Raise three sheets to the wind.
......................-=Krynnish drinking song=-
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47   #14
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 644
Re: Bread anyone?

Try sitting the bowl of dough on a hot water bottle for rising. Until I employed this method my bread was like a weapon in the winter!
__________________
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40   #15
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Bread anyone?

Try a Zojirushi and you'll never look back; also the most efficient way of baking bread aboard and thus not heating up the interior for warm climates. Another pro is that the program timer will survive power outages like when switching from one power source to another (inverter etc.) while with other brands the timer resets and you have to start over.

ciao!
Nick.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Else Have A Woodstove Onboard Mark1977 Our Community 25 05-05-2012 23:06
Anyone Sail on a Morgan 60ft Outislander videorov Monohull Sailboats 2 28-02-2012 18:02
Anyone Know Where "Kai Nui" Went To ? rebel heart Off Topic Forum 21 27-02-2012 12:04
Anyone else local going solar this year ? familycruisers Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 23-02-2012 13:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.