Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2012, 14:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
Try a Zojirushi and you'll never look back; also the most efficient way of baking bread aboard and thus not heating up the interior for warm climates. Another pro is that the program timer will survive power outages like when switching from one power source to another (inverter etc.) while with other brands the timer resets and you have to start over.

ciao!
Nick.
+1 on the Zojirushi breadmaker I have the one that makes 1 lb. loaves, I can use all of it before it goes bad, no preservatives.

Old 11-02-2012, 14:16   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Bread anyone?

Jedi, I have read your posts about your bread machine for a couple years now. I finally went out and bought one, a Panasonic though. Absolutely love it. I have a loaf of French bread and croissants made just from today. Maybe I should have gotten your brand of machine but am happy with the Panasonic so far. The quick bake takes 2 hours total which is how long it takes me to run my generator in the morning anyway. Up at 6am, fresh bread at 8. Perfect.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:37   #18
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran
Jedi, I have read your posts about your bread machine for a couple years now. I finally went out and bought one, a Panasonic though. Absolutely love it. I have a loaf of French bread and croissants made just from today. Maybe I should have gotten your brand of machine but am happy with the Panasonic so far. The quick bake takes 2 hours total which is how long it takes me to run my generator in the morning anyway. Up at 6am, fresh bread at 8. Perfect.
The Panasonic is the #1 machine in Europe I believe so a good choice. You don't need to run it off the genset as it uses very little energy, the inverter is just fine.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 11-02-2012, 23:41   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie uses the same bread maker as nick, she loves ! and I love the bread and rolls!! she even made some bagles a while back, all the way from the potato water to the final in the bread maker, bout 6 dozen LOL the vacume packer got a work out and the freezers bout full but they sure taste good!! Just love having things like this in our old age !! LOL Bob and Connie
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Frankman is absolutely correct. IF you have a happy robust starter you will get good results without to much trouble. But try asking him how long he has been tryin to get Mr. Grumpy going THIS time? And you will notice the respect he shows for his grumpy starter? I bet Mr. Grumpy doesn't address him as Mr. Frank ; -D

And plus one on the Zorushi. I love mine. Got it two years ago now, I guess. Haven't bouhht bread since.

Well except for my folks 50th anniversary party. For that I bought the rolls from the bakery...

But yeah the smell of bread from the oven (or pot) it just one of the best things ever!

When baking in the pressure cooker I put a cheap pie tin in the bottom upside down and put the dough into another tin, right side up, on top. Sprinkle cornmeal in the bottom to keep from sticking.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You don't need to run it off the genset as it uses very little energy, the inverter is just fine.

ciao!
Nick.
Hello, what sort of inverter/load are we talking here? I assume the electric oven part uses a lot no? thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30   #22

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Aussie version

BUSH DAMPER

3 cups of self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Sift flour and salt into a bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Make a well in the centre, add the combined milk and water, mix lightly with a knife until dough leaves sides of bowl.
Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape into a round, put on a greased oven tray. Pat into a round 15-16 cm (6-6 1/2 inch) diameter.
With sharp knife, cut two slits across dough like a cross, approximately 1cm (1/2in) deep.
Brush top of dough with milk.
Sift a little extra flour over dough.
Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to moderate and bake another 20 minutes.
Best eaten the day it is made.

Can be frozen
Sounds like biscuit dough baked in the form of a loaf.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42   #23
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Bread anyone ?

for sourdough starter I simply take a chunk of the bread dough and pop it into a clean pint mason jar, needs feeding once in a while, I either add some sugar or flour and warm water. I do this before making the bread dough too to kick up the yeast count, Bread is so simple to make dont know why everyone makes such a fuss. Two parts dry to one wet. Add whatever you want as long as the leavening is right and kneeding is done properly and temp is right it will turn out fine. +1 on vital wheat gluten for a dough conditioner. Much prefer the sourdough taste to quick rise yeast.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Hello, what sort of inverter/load are we talking here? I assume the electric oven part uses a lot no? thanks
400 - 650 watts
My Kenwood is 400watt

From memory, my Kenwood uses about 200wh to make a loaf of bread.

200wh/24 = 8.3 ah

nothing is more efficient than electricity for some tasks.... another example is an electric egg cooker...unbelievably efficient.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Four methods for baking without an oven are described in my The Galley Book. It's out of print but some Amazon sellers have it cheap. When baking in a pressure cooker, remove rubber ring and it will last longer. For stove-top baking I prefer cast aluminum over stainless steel. Distributes heat better.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Every time I make bread on the boat it comes out thick enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon. A lady who cooks a lot around here said that it's normal and that she can only make bread onboard in the summer, which of course I have no desire to do, because who the hell cranks the oven and makes bread in the summer?
I have not turned on the oven in years. It kinda of scares me. In addition to heating the cabin up. I'm torn because I do like fresh bread which I make at home in a bread maker. But, bringing a bread maker on board seems like I'm just be adding more "stuff" onboard. I find as long as you don't have a crew on board the bread and rolls seem to last long enough. I do have a pressure cooker on board and use it a lot. So that might be the be the way to go too.
I bought a Toastmaster bread maker for about $50 in the local ACE hardware store and use it at home. It actually has all the features I would want for on board use:

Like seperate dough and bake functions so I would not need to run the generator while the bread is rising. I could just fire it up to make dough and then when I want it to bake.

I found out last night while making Pizza dough that it keeps it's setting even through a power failure.

I might bring it on board next season and see if I really use it enough to justify having a breadmaker on board.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58   #27

ZOJIRUSHI HOME MINI BREADMAKER BB-HAC10 | eBay

this is the Zoji I have, at the eBay seller from whence I bought. Zojirushi is a good brand, just not so well known in the west. I have a tiny little Zoji rice cooker that must be 10 or more years old, and I find their products to be of good quality.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52   #28
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
400 - 650 watts

nothing is more efficient than electricity for some tasks.... another example is an electric egg cooker...unbelievably efficient.
Indeed; with a breadmaker, the size of the oven involved is at it's absolute minimum (the pan itself) and thus efficiency is maximum. My big Zojirushi is 600W but that is only when the heating element is on which is only a couple of seconds at a time. Most of the time it draws nothing, zero, while dough is rising. Even small inverters will power the breadmaker.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01   #29
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

For the bread maker guys, have you had any luck with the delay bake option? The only time I used it is the only time I ended up with an inedible loaf. It turned into a solid glob, like it didn't rise at all.

Nick, thanks for the info on using the inverter and watt use. The two issues for me are that the Panasonic may not reset itself if I start the generator during the momentary switchover and that I have to run the generator every morning regardless. Not so much for recharging as refrigeration and water making. Either I need to have the loaf done at 6:00am or quick bake it, which eliminates french bread.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13   #30
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
ZOJIRUSHI HOME MINI BREADMAKER BB-HAC10 | eBay
this is the Zoji I have, at the eBay seller from whence I bought.
I have seen this little guy and have always thought when the time comes to cast off that is what I will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
for sourdough starter I simply take a chunk of the bread dough and pop it into a clean pint mason jar, Bread is so simple to make dont know why everyone makes such a fuss.
My habit is to make a sponge/poolish/biga by mixing a cup of flour, a cup of water and a pinch of yeast into a mason jar and letting it ferment for a day if possible. Just doing this, even if you havent got a starter, will add to the flavour, improve the crumb, and (my favorite part) extend the shelf life. I don't know why (any chemists out there with any ideas) but a loaf made with out the poolish will develop mold way faster than a loaf with a poolish for the base. If I haven't got overnight I have found even 3 or 4 hours will make a difference. And it adds a bit of that sour taste if you let it go long enough.

I just take the poolish, which I make in the Zo, and add the rest of the ingredients the loaf I am making calls for and let it go.

And somewhere around here is a huge thread about bread machines and energy usage. At one time I located a web page that calculated pretty exactly the draw. I'll see if I can find that old thread.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: