Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Books on shoreline foraging

I want a new way to look at wild edible plants. Many of the sources say something like this: "Warning, may cause illness or be fatal if ingested in large quantities, not quite ripe etc..." And you are going to tell me when a berry is ripe when I have never seen it before?
I would like a study made of each plant- what toxins it contains, what nutrients, and then how to tell when it is most nutritious. And can it be prepared in a way to make it more digestible and nutritious?
Because lets face it: Native Americans 300 years ago did not have a long life span. Anthropological data show it was not just bears that did them in, it was what they ate.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14   #32

Walking among the rocks with a beer in one hand, a pick or screw driver in the other... cracking oysters straight off the rocks in NW Western Australia... nothing better!!!
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15   #33

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Newt, you might try Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods by Elias and Dykeman. As for toxins, you would almost certainly have to do a plant by plant research, and I would recommend Poisonous Plants: A Handbook for Doctors, Pharmacists, Toxicologists, Biologists and Veterinarians by Dietrich Frohne
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks Astrid, I already have the first one. Do you forage? What do you use as a mushroom and shellfish guides? I have been quite tempted by your northern rainforest.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18   #35

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

I don't trust my skills with mushrooms, so I avoid those; lobster and crabs I like but don't each much other forms of shell fish.
Old 19-10-2014, 09:51   #36

Boat: hunter 376

Hey Astrid, I like lobster too, but if I'm foraging for them on Canada's west coast, I expect a long search.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:25   #37

True, water is too cold for rock lobsters (which actually isn't a true lobster) much above Monterey California, although I have caught a few in Southern California. I was talking in general about my likes and dislikes. Crabs, though, as you know, we have plenty of along the north Pacific coasts.
Old 20-10-2014, 09:34   #38

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
As a Kidd I used to break open a mussel and tie the meat on a piece of string and catch tons of blue crabs
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09   #39

Boat: 47' Cutter

Hi Rumplestiltskin,

In the UK, the classic guide is "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey. First published in 1972 and still in print. Inspired HFW. Must dig my copy out of storage...

MooseMarine
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books