Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2014, 17:18   #16

Boat: Wannabe 34 (BW of course)
Re: Books on shoreline foraging

There is also the Beachcomber's Handbook Field Guide by Euell Gibbons, a classic in the genre for Hawaii, which probably works throughout Polynesia and some of the tropics. I also read somewhere that all green seaweed in Hawaii is edible, but do your own research, don't believe it just because someone wrote it on the internet.

A word about foraging mushrooms: it doesn't always help to know what you are doing, local knowledge is crucial to avoid some poisonings and death. Mushroom species are different in different places, and some edible ones can resemble toxic ones in other places. I like that Northern Bushcraft website, it lists plants that cannot be confused with others.

The issue with foraging is that it mostly seems to involve mushrooms, fruit, and leaves. It's not a wild garden where you can pick carrots and potatoes out of the ground. Very little carbs and protein. Tropics are a little better with coconut and breadfruit, but as mentioned, these are often planted and harvested by locals in their community food forest, not a wildneress area open to all.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14   #17

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

Lots of interesting advice here on terrestrial resources.

Mushrooms is also the first thing that comes to mind here in Norway. A very seasonal resource, late autumn. The same with blueberries and tyttebær (what's that in English?) and a few others. Another very common thing here is hunting ptarmigan and geese, starts autumn and can go during winter.

All of these approaches need local knowledge or luck to find enough supplies (or to gain hunting skills). Time of course helps for both of those. If you do, then you can find enough vitamins in form of berries to get you over winter, some species don't rot (which is really fascinating I think). Meat can be dried or hang up on deck.

I wouldn't worry too much about picking the wrong things - just be mindful and switch your brain on. Books surely help, and asking whoever you meet in the forest.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:01   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
The same with blueberries and tyttebær (what's that in English?)
lingonberries or fox berries, I believe. Vaccinium vitis-idaea, it is closely related to cranberries, if I recall.
Old 03-10-2014, 18:59   #19

Boat: Niagara 35

We just bought "Pacific Feast: A cook's guide to West Coast foraging and cuisine." It looks very promising. Shelfish, seaweed, mushrooms, greens, and berries.
Old 03-10-2014, 19:20   #20

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
STALKING THE BLUE EYED SCALLOP by Euell Gibbons, written in the 60's, but still in print and available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. A classic!
Euell Gibbons' books got me interested in this way back when! At that time I was into backpacking and foraging was an interest.

I enjoyed reading them and found them "food for thought."

Classics!
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 19:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
lingonberries or fox berries, I believe. Vaccinium vitis-idaea, it is closely related to cranberries, if I recall.
I LOVE lingonberry jam!
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 03-10-2014, 19:25   #22

Sea Grapes!

Taste of the Caribbean: Don't Be Afraid to Savor Sea Grapes | Caribbean | Uncommon Caribbean
Old 03-10-2014, 19:43   #23

Thankyou everyone for the information provided so far: heaps of research for me to do: just what I was after!
Old 03-10-2014, 19:47   #24

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

In PNW you always see articles mentioning "sea asparagus". Not sure how you are supposed to cook it. I ate some raw in Alaska, and it was "so-so". We picked some in Washington in August, and microwaved it. Not a good idea. It just tasted like salt.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33   #25

Boat: hunter 31

Just an additional word of caution for anyone foraging in coastal BC, keep a close watch for black bears, and in many of the more remote areas, grizzlies. Both species forage extensively on the BC coast, and are very numerous in some areas.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:54   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

This couple harvests the bears, too.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:47   #27

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

Bears? Wow, that sounds amazing! See you there in a few years of time!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:34   #28
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

ive been toying with this for a while. Some plants that ive tried or are on the list to try in florida are; False Roselle, Purslane, Milkweed vine, Vine spinich, Blue Porterweed, Sargassum, Sea Lettuce, Gracilaria, Codium Compendium, Sea Almonds, Eastern Gamagrass, Hairy Cowpea. Ive made myself a field guide by clipping photos of the plants from different net sources with recipes, identification, toxie lookalikes, nutrition data etc... One excellent resource is Eat The Weeds by Green Deane, the most watched forager in the world
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31   #29

Boat: hunter 31

Hairy cow-pea? just the name makes me hungry.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37   #30

The Arts and Science of Dumpster Diving. By John Hoffman

Tags
books

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: