Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 20:58   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Books About Provisioning

I've never bothered reading any books solely about 'storing ship'... my book learning on the subject dates back to notes in the back of ancient tomes by early circumnavigators circa 1950s. Stuff like 'take the labels off all tins and varnish them before stowing them in the bilge, grease all your eggs' etc. All rollocks as far as I am concerned.

What I do..... I have an excel spreadsheet that I made up.. similar to the one linked to earlier ^^^

I stow all my cans, bottles, eggs, and packets of pasta - in open topped cardboard boxes - on the seaberth in the walkthrough. No I have never had a problem with cockroaches .. these are stout boxes that have been aboard for a very long time. Fancy goods live in a couple of lockers in the saloon, cases of long life milk, fruit juice and beer live on the cabin sole in the 'Owner's Stateroom'... aka my cabin down the back... and wine lives under the saloon settees...

No freezer just a fridge which is where cheese , vacuum packed meat, etc, goes.... and beer.... and the Pisco Sour...

Spuds and onions go in the foot of hanging lockers and in the 'garden shed', other fruit and vege is in 'open stow' in the saloon.... either in netting 'hammocks' or just in fruit bowls.

What to carry and how much is a bit trial and error.... tinned goods I always have a lot, anything between 12 and 24 cans each of the stuff that is most commonly consumed, peas, beans,mushrooms, tomatoes, pimientos, fruit.... esp when I know that certain things can't be found where I am going. I am still working my way through cans bought in New Zealand 2 years ago. I'm also typically 'storing ship' knowing that it will be another 2 months before I next see a shop. Packet noodles and soup last forever and always make for quick lunches while underway, esp in cool weather.
Other stuff that keeps forever is Pasta, cooking oil, kitchen paper, toilet paper.
Eggs, unrefrigerated, keep for at least 6 weeks in a temperate climate...

Meat.... salami is good for either lunchtime salads or chopping up and dropping into pasta... don't forget pasta sauces, tomato paste etc. Tinned fish for fish pies, tinned shellfish for pasta dishes...

Other meat I carry.... vacuum packed pork product... bacon, ham etc. Also beef.... I only bother with scotch fillet bought in the peice ( eaten either as steak or roasted whole) , and stewing steak for curries and ordinary stews... I allow 200 grams each so a 1kg pack lasts 2 or 3 meals or about a week's worth of meat meals. A fish pie or similar once a week and maybe 2 pasta meals and that's the week sorted..

Vacuum packed meat lasts a good 2 months if frozen when purchased and kept cool.

I also throw in a frozen chicken just before we sail and sometimes even a cooked chook which will mean there is no need to cook until you get your sealegs.

Fancy goods for me include hot sauces and chutneys, olives, pickled onions, dill cucumbers, tinned pate ... plus your mustards and herbs, etc.

Fruit and vege? Spuds and onions are a given and keep well. Carrots last a fairly long time as will a pumkin even after it has been started, a good cabbage - peeled rather than chopped - will last the whole way across the Pacific. Apples and oranges... we work on one of each per person per day ... keep well enough.. bananas not so much...

Bit of a ramble..... don't forget the long life cream for the fruit.....
Old 28-12-2017, 21:06   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Neglected to mention... muesli and porridge for breakfasts..... good either when underway in 'interesting conditions' or when making an early start. Once a week or so a 'full english'... hence the need for the eggs, the bacon, the tomatoes, the mushrooms.................. either in settled conditions while on passage or when weatherbound and having a layday in an anchorage.
Old 28-12-2017, 21:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Don't forget the reddi whip
Real Cream Whipped Topping | Reddi-wip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.1 KB