Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 16:47   #1

Lightbulb Bike cargo bin that turns into a rolling cart - good for cruisers?

Just found this project tutorial today and really want to try it once I get a new bike. The project is for a cargo container that sits on the back of the bike and folds/converts into a little shopping cart. It's ingenious (IMO) in how simple it is. I also think it might be good for cruisers who get around on land via bike, since it's basically a box when the wheels are folded. There are detailed instructions for download and a video. Curious what you guys think, and maybe someone here will find it useful.

Bike-Portable Shopping Cart

Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:05   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Bike cargo bin that turns into a rolling cart - good for cruisers?

That's a great idea. I can think of half-a-dozen improvements, including a lighter board material, honeycombed for weight savings, drain holes in the bottom, smaller castors (you'd need only two heavy-duty wheels at the back), clamps instead of nails, or even seized pins for disassembly, or maybe just maked the whole thing as a collapsible wire frame into which you could mount regular bike panniers. Then it becomes a "pannier cart", allowing you to fill your panniers away from the bike, rather than a shopping cart that is transportable on a rear carrier.

There are several styles of rubberized "laundry sack" sort of pannier I would consider a good choice. Some may well adapt to being "carted".

I own four bikes and three bike trailers...and no car and two sailboats. I am pretty interested in this topic.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a must have for the homeless yuppy baglady!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:42   #4

Alchemy, all excellent suggestions! If you end up making something based on this idea please post your creation
The wire frame you're referring to, would you build it up around the those panniers, have minimal framing, or just the bottom (cart) bits with straps or something to secure it?

For me, this project isn't going to be done anytime soon if at all. I was browsing bikes on craigslist but will probably put it off another couple of months or more since the car tax is due this month and I got a speeding ticket (second ever!) the other day. I like the idea of being able to ride to the grocery store and get all my shopping done, this gives a lot more room than just my backpack. And with riding instead of driving I not only get exercise but maybe it'll help ensure good choices while I'm there.

Atoll- in all seriousness, it's not a bad concept for the homeless though probably too small in terms of effective space
I work with the mentally ill, some of who have been homeless in the past, and a lot of them have those folding wire rolling carts. Very handy for grocery shopping and errands, transporting laundry, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 17:04   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We eventually bought a folding dolly, and have found that it works for jerry jugs, for provisioning runs, and for our laundry bag. We go too many places without roads suitable for bikes, and storing them is a PITA for us. YMMV
Old 08-09-2013, 20:40   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
Alchemy, all excellent suggestions! If you end up making something based on this idea please post your creation
The wire frame you're referring to, would you build it up around the those panniers, have minimal framing, or just the bottom (cart) bits with straps or something to secure it?
I would build it with heavy wire bent on peg jigs to hang on a pannier secured by a velcro strap or two, as even in a cut-down state, I suspect it would be heavy enough to stay put. I would furthermore have it fold flat, as some old-fashioned wire panniers can fold flat to store a bike in a hallway or a narrow rack.

One might be able to fashion this out of two "little old lady trundle buggies" (that might be a Canadianism...)

Or make it modular, and only bring the capacity you need. I can see making two of these types clip together with a wire basket between the handles:

Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 21:11   #7

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I've got this thingy:

Been doing my shopping with that for years now. A bit expensive, but I got mine during a special Easter sale...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 21:34   #8

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We eventually bought a folding dolly, and have found that it works for jerry jugs, for provisioning runs, and for our laundry bag. We go too many places without roads suitable for bikes, and storing them is a PITA for us. YMMV
Wot she said...
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 22:29   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

Great idea but the music makes me wonder who just died!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 22:46   #10

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

I have a collapsible two wheel trailer that is pulled with my road bike. It is not suitable for long distance work, being a heavy 45 lb steel Chinese special but it is a great work/shopping trailer. My intention was to bend a new hitch bar for pulling by hand as a dock/shopping cart, but never did it. The hitch does not fit well on my recumbent, but it has rack space for 4 panniers so capacity is rarely an issue.
Alchemy, you are not the only one here with multiple bikes and no car:-)
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 23:04   #11

"Bob Trailer" (google it I don't know how to post pics), nothing better.

Light, compact, tough... dont know about jerry cans full of diesel though.

Expensive.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 19:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
One might be able to fashion this out of two "little old lady trundle buggies" (that might be a Canadianism...)

I've never heard that term before... but it's not a bad one to describe these devices.

KVB and giant, I like the trailers. Me personally, I would probably go with something attached to the bike rather than something trailing, as the latter for some reason is stirring up paranoia, but it's good to know that there are lots of options out there.
Old 09-09-2013, 19:23   #13

Boat: csy 37

we had a milk crate. but we eventually decided bikes were a pita and not worth the deck space.

i met a cruiser who used a milk crate to which he had fitted wheels. he had also rigged up his telescoping boat pole to act as a handle. cheap and effective.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise