Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 06:25   #76

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Best second language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8989 View Post
The following languages I'd like to learn, in approximate order:

1: Spanish, mainly because I already know some Spanish, and it's probably one of the easiest languages to learn for an English-speaker.

2: German

3: Japanese, because I love Japanese culture so much, especially anime. I list it third because Japanese is a COMPLETELY different language from English, very difficult for us to learn but it seems challenging and I love to tackle challenges
Old 20-06-2019, 06:25   #77
cruiser

[QUOTE=boatman61;2109658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Being from the south, but having traveled all over the USA working (including NY), I often find myself in the position of translating between dialects. My wife is from "kahhlifornia" so when around southern friends I often have to translate for her. I joke that I speak 3 languages: English, Spanish, and "Bubba".

Central American Spanish has even more variation in dialects than American English, not so much in the accent, as in the USA, but significant variations in vocabulary. For example, in Guatemala and Panama they use totally different vocabulary for common tools & hardware store items.[/QUOTE]

Bit like the England and US... we speak English and you speak American.. you even spell differently..
England and America, two countries separated by a common language. Scotland....
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:45   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawntreader2 View Post
Also on Youtube are some great 'hint' videos of 'What not to wear/say/do in ...." as well as what to say and do in certain countries - it helps me not to be an 'ugly American'
There are ugly Americans, and then there are cultural differences that can trip up the most well-meaning person in the world.

In the French countries, for example, it is customary to start with hello. Walk into a store in America, go up to the counter, and say "Can you help me find a shirt, please?" and everyone will think you are wonderfully polite, because you said please. Do the same in France, and you will strike them as slightly rude, because you did not start by saying "bonjour."

Very worthwhile to try to learn these little cultural differences.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:58   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=Kenomac;2912678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

England and America, two countries separated by a common language. Scotland....
Or Portugal & Brazil. I recently arrived in the Azores (Açores) with an all Brazillian crew. I have Brazillian friends so know a few words of Portuguese, but pronunciation can be very different between the two countries.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 22:40   #80

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
For studying spanish if you learn Cuban spanish you'll manage everywhere where it's spoken.
As it happens, if you study any language, you’ll manage everywhere where it’s spoken
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote