Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 05:04   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Best second language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
My first language was DOS but now I'm up to IOS 9.3.1.

S/V B'Shert
Computer languages are soooo much easier than human languages. During my career, I was fluent in about a dozen (programming languages, those are OS's above, though each OS typically has its own scripting language).

Regular grammar (as opposed to the "irregular" grammars of spoken languages), no exceptions to the rules, no irregular verbs, no tenses and thus no conjugation, each "word" or expression means one, and only one, thing, relatively small vocabulary, no coloquial expressions, few if any "dialects" of any given language (language "extensions" for an OS are common, but the core language is usually the same)...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:05   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best second language

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2109647]Being from the south, but having traveled all over the USA working (including NY), I often find myself in the position of translating between dialects. My wife is from "kahhlifornia" so when around southern friends I often have to translate for her. I joke that I speak 3 languages: English, Spanish, and "Bubba".

Central American Spanish has even more variation in dialects than American English, not so much in the accent, as in the USA, but significant variations in vocabulary. For example, in Guatemala and Panama they use totally different vocabulary for common tools & hardware store items.[/QUOTE]

Bit like the England and US... we speak English and you speak American.. you even spell differently..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:18   #63

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=boatman61;2109658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Being from the south, but having traveled all over the USA working (including NY), I often find myself in the position of translating between dialects. My wife is from "kahhlifornia" so when around southern friends I often have to translate for her. I joke that I speak 3 languages: English, Spanish, and "Bubba".

Central American Spanish has even more variation in dialects than American English, not so much in the accent, as in the USA, but significant variations in vocabulary. For example, in Guatemala and Panama they use totally different vocabulary for common tools & hardware store items.[/QUOTE]

Bit like the UK and US... we speak English and you speak American.. you even spell differently..
True, "Two countries separated by a common language".

I used to teach technical semimars in the USA & Europe. In the European sessions we had students from many different european nations. All spoke "English", but It was a bit like Central America, in that students from each country had their own dialect. I learned to be very careful about not using American coloquial expressions...which would result in a room full of confused looks.

The Brits seem to have the most distinct variations of in country dialects. With, like the USA, very different accents from different areas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 07:28   #64
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Computer languages are soooo much easier than human languages. During my career, I was fluent in about a dozen (programming languages, those are OS's above, though each OS typically has its own scripting language).

Regular grammar (as opposed to the "irregular" grammars of spoken languages), no exceptions to the rules, no irregular verbs, no tenses and thus no conjugation, each "word" or expression means one, and only one, thing, relatively small vocabulary, no coloquial expressions, few if any "dialects" of any given language (language "extensions" for an OS are common, but the core language is usually the same)...
Very well said and definitely true ! In the 90's I was not bad in Basic / Fortran / Clarion programming languages (DOS was easy and helpful). All of them were a lot easier to learn than the Russian I learned right after the Berlin Wall collapsed.
Old 30-04-2016, 07:49   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Very well said and definitely true ! In the 90's I was not bad in Basic / Fortran / Clarion programming languages (DOS was easy and helpful). All of them were a lot easier to learn than the Russian I learned right after the Berlin Wall collapsed.
During my EE studies I had one class that took us into assembler and even machine code. I think Russian would be easier.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 07:59   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

I will not agree Spanish speakers easily understand Portuguese speakers. From my experience, this is not the case. Unless you are from Galicia maybe.

I have seen Portuguese speakers having problem understanding Brazilian speakers too. One language so I guess pronunciation or work choice is the key. Seen the same between Spanish and Latino speakers, mostly because of word choice here.

Reading flashcards on an App is a very lame way to learn a language. A sailor may be primarily interested in quick acquisition of bare spoken fluency within say the early 500 to 2000 words. This gets you started ashore, in the office, at the mercado, marche, etc.

You want whole phrases that match the situation at hand: correct, complete and round. And decent pronunciation.

YOU WANT TO SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY SAY

Good courses here:

- Español: Instituto Cervantes
- Française: Alliance Française

You want native speaker teachers who are teachers of their language as a foreign language. They will get you there in half the time and for half the money. If you truly apply yourself to study, you may be ready to go and have a basic street conversation in your target country in about a year. Then it goes real fast until you hit the wall.

Cheers, hasta pronto, au revoir,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:01   #67
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
During my EE studies I had one class that took us into assembler and even machine code. I think Russian would be easier.
Oh yes, I trust you about that !
Old 30-04-2016, 17:26   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
x86 assembler has a vocabulary of less than 700 words,you only use single word sentences and syntax is 100% consistent.

That has got to be easier than any natural language.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14   #69
cruiser

The following languages I'd like to learn, in approximate order:

1: Spanish, mainly because I already know some Spanish, and it's probably one of the easiest languages to learn for an English-speaker.

2: German

3: Japanese, because I love Japanese culture so much, especially anime. I list it third because Japanese is a COMPLETELY different language from English, very difficult for us to learn but it seems challenging and I love to tackle challenges
Old 06-05-2019, 14:33   #70

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nice to see this thread revived.....

@ Boatman61, et al,

There apparently still exists in Spain, a prejudice against the Portuguese, who were driven out sometime back. That's why they were rude to you. They would probably be rude even if you said you were Brazilian. It's probably only some of them. I had a Spanish pen pal when i was 13. His name was Jose Barranco-Lama. He stopped writing to me when I revealed that my mother was Portuguese. I had hurt feelings!

As to the French, well, I have a little French, and I tried to use it in France. My teacher was Belgian, so I have a sort of Yank/European accent. In France, everyone was polite to us, very pleasant, even when I had a stupid problem. Even the Vietnamese taxi driver was nice. However, I get confused by some of the provincial accents, and what it is for me, is that when the sounds come in, my brain spells them to me so I turn the sounds into comprehension, or not. If the word ends, the way I know it as a "anh" sound, and they say "een", it doesn't spell right and the result is non-comprehension. I wish I knew how to get around that, 'cause it's a real show stopper. They can understand me, but my comprehension is poor to non-existent.

Ann
Old 06-05-2019, 23:52   #71

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8989 View Post

1: Spanish, mainly because I already know some Spanish, and it's probably one of the easiest languages to learn for an English-speaker.

3: Japanese, because I love Japanese culture so much, especially anime. I list it third because Japanese is a COMPLETELY different language from English, very difficult for us to learn but it seems challenging and I love to tackle challenges
I did some Japanese at university. Speaking was actually very easy, and grammar for me was much easier than any latin based languages. No plurals, no genders, not too much intonation. Of course I only spoke baby Japanese but native speakers could understand me. No the reading and writting is the difficult bit. Hirigana and katakana are fine, but trying to remember 2,000 Kanji, is hard.

On a different note. Every Portugese or Brazilian person i've met, could speak Spanish near enough fluently, most could understand Catalan, and Italian too. Yet i've never met a Spanish speaker that can speak Portugese.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:05   #72

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We're lucky that one of us (Cristina) is fluent in Russian, Romanian, Italian, English, French and Spanish.... It's not for nuthin I call her our Fixer 😁
That said I'm also fluent in Hungarian and speak some German and Russian.

For a cruiser in the americas, I'd guess Spanish. Here in the med, you need more. If I had to speak only one second language, it would be French.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:07   #73

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Living so close to the border we've found it indispensable to learn Canadian.

We have prooojects which we make prooogress on. We try to sail into harbours as politely as we can. We end all of or sentences with an upward inflection. In return we are invited onto others' boats and even into their houses for a meal. Exciting discussions on present day current events might be stressful, but as long as we end each statement with an "eh?" we seem to pass muster. Or is that mustre???

All kidding aside, I've lived in 5 countries and as long as I leave any Ugly American tendencies aside and am eager to learn and appreciate another culture I have always found people equally as eager to meet and communicate in any way we can. It might be pigeon English or even scattered words in each language with lots of hand signals, but it seems to satisfy both side. For getting around I also endorse "Spanish/French for Cruisers". After living in Spanish speaking countries for 6 years I'm relatively fluent, there were lots of tools and engine parts that I had not a clue how to name.

Not bad for a Mick Yank, eh?
Old 07-05-2019, 21:36   #74

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

We are heading to France to visit the Factory where our boat is being built. We plan to spend Summer 2021 and 2022 in Med. I have 'working' Spanish, where I can communicate, and if you use even a little everywhere Latin I have traveled the people have been over the top polite and enthused that a gringo has made the effort to learn the language.
We have been told, as one poster said, that if you at least attempt to speak some French you will be treated much more kindly - and likely in English by doing so.
I recommend the App Duolingo is really useful, easy to use and you can 'hear' the language.
We have both the French & Spanish for Cruisers - really helpful - I printed a picture of the boat and labeled everything in French to be familiar w/boat parts etc.
Also on Youtube there a ton of language help videos - Alexa for French is really good and I just listen to that and have learned a ton.
Also on Youtube are some great 'hint' videos of 'What not to wear/say/do in ...." as well as what to say and do in certain countries - it helps me not to be an 'ugly American'
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8989 View Post

Overall, Spanish. However, if you have a specific job or place of work, that could change. There are plenty of Russian, Chinese, and German speaking communities. If you plan on staying in one of those cokmunities, then the language of that community is best. If you just want all around use, Spanish is the best option by far!

jamescharles is offline   Reply With Quote