Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-04-2016, 06:04   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Best second language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
My first language was DOS but now I'm up to IOS 9.3.1.

S/V B'Shert
Computer languages are soooo much easier than human languages. During my career, I was fluent in about a dozen (programming languages, those are OS's above, though each OS typically has its own scripting language).

Regular grammar (as opposed to the "irregular" grammars of spoken languages), no exceptions to the rules, no irregular verbs, no tenses and thus no conjugation, each "word" or expression means one, and only one, thing, relatively small vocabulary, no coloquial expressions, few if any "dialects" of any given language (language "extensions" for an OS are common, but the core language is usually the same)...

Old 30-04-2016, 06:05   #62
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Best second language

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2109647]Being from the south, but having traveled all over the USA working (including NY), I often find myself in the position of translating between dialects. My wife is from "kahhlifornia" so when around southern friends I often have to translate for her. I joke that I speak 3 languages: English, Spanish, and "Bubba".

Central American Spanish has even more variation in dialects than American English, not so much in the accent, as in the USA, but significant variations in vocabulary. For example, in Guatemala and Panama they use totally different vocabulary for common tools & hardware store items.[/QUOTE]

Bit like the England and US... we speak English and you speak American.. you even spell differently..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:18   #63

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=boatman61;2109658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Being from the south, but having traveled all over the USA working (including NY), I often find myself in the position of translating between dialects. My wife is from "kahhlifornia" so when around southern friends I often have to translate for her. I joke that I speak 3 languages: English, Spanish, and "Bubba".

Central American Spanish has even more variation in dialects than American English, not so much in the accent, as in the USA, but significant variations in vocabulary. For example, in Guatemala and Panama they use totally different vocabulary for common tools & hardware store items.[/QUOTE]

Bit like the UK and US... we speak English and you speak American.. you even spell differently..
True, "Two countries separated by a common language".

I used to teach technical semimars in the USA & Europe. In the European sessions we had students from many different european nations. All spoke "English", but It was a bit like Central America, in that students from each country had their own dialect. I learned to be very careful about not using American coloquial expressions...which would result in a room full of confused looks.

The Brits seem to have the most distinct variations of in country dialects. With, like the USA, very different accents from different areas.
Old 30-04-2016, 08:28   #64
omc
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Computer languages are soooo much easier than human languages. During my career, I was fluent in about a dozen (programming languages, those are OS's above, though each OS typically has its own scripting language).

Regular grammar (as opposed to the "irregular" grammars of spoken languages), no exceptions to the rules, no irregular verbs, no tenses and thus no conjugation, each "word" or expression means one, and only one, thing, relatively small vocabulary, no coloquial expressions, few if any "dialects" of any given language (language "extensions" for an OS are common, but the core language is usually the same)...
Very well said and definitely true ! In the 90's I was not bad in Basic / Fortran / Clarion programming languages (DOS was easy and helpful). All of them were a lot easier to learn than the Russian I learned right after the Berlin Wall collapsed.
Old 30-04-2016, 08:49   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Very well said and definitely true ! In the 90's I was not bad in Basic / Fortran / Clarion programming languages (DOS was easy and helpful). All of them were a lot easier to learn than the Russian I learned right after the Berlin Wall collapsed.
During my EE studies I had one class that took us into assembler and even machine code. I think Russian would be easier.
Old 30-04-2016, 08:59   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I will not agree Spanish speakers easily understand Portuguese speakers. From my experience, this is not the case. Unless you are from Galicia maybe.

I have seen Portuguese speakers having problem understanding Brazilian speakers too. One language so I guess pronunciation or work choice is the key. Seen the same between Spanish and Latino speakers, mostly because of word choice here.

Reading flashcards on an App is a very lame way to learn a language. A sailor may be primarily interested in quick acquisition of bare spoken fluency within say the early 500 to 2000 words. This gets you started ashore, in the office, at the mercado, marche, etc.

You want whole phrases that match the situation at hand: correct, complete and round. And decent pronunciation.

YOU WANT TO SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY SAY

Good courses here:

- Espa˝ol: Instituto Cervantes
- Franšaise: Alliance Franšaise

You want native speaker teachers who are teachers of their language as a foreign language. They will get you there in half the time and for half the money. If you truly apply yourself to study, you may be ready to go and have a basic street conversation in your target country in about a year. Then it goes real fast until you hit the wall.

Cheers, hasta pronto, au revoir,
b.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:01   #67
omc
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
During my EE studies I had one class that took us into assembler and even machine code. I think Russian would be easier.
Oh yes, I trust you about that !
Old 30-04-2016, 18:26   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
x86 assembler has a vocabulary of less than 700 words,you only use single word sentences and syntax is 100% consistent.

That has got to be easier than any natural language.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: