Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2016, 11:03   #31

Boat: 1998 27' Rinker
Re: Best Cooler

Look into the RTIC coolers. Half the price of Yeti and videos found on YouTube look like there very impressive. They must be OK because I just ordered a 45 QT. and they are so much in demand that my expected ship date is 5/31.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 10-02-2016, 11:42   #32

It doesn't take much to beat a Yeti in ice retention. Here's a video of a 5 day cooler test between 10 coolers. The Rubbermaid control cooler was not ranked, Yeti came in at #8 out of 9, beating only the Grizzly cooler.

Here are the rankings of the 9 coolers tested:

Quote:
Results: As you'll see in the video, some of the more expensive coolers such as Yeti and Grizzly did not hold ice as long as Pelican and Engel. Therefore we cannot say that spending that extra money on a name brand cooler (unless you are after than name brand only) is not worth it when it comes to ice retention. Watch for day by day progression over the five days of how each cooler performed. Below is a list of the results from top to bottom of best performing:

1. Orca Coolers 58Q: http://amzn.to/1WDbx4g
2.Pelican ProGear Elite 45Q: Amazon.com : Pelican 45Q-MC Elite Cooler (White) : Cooler Grizzly : Sports & Outdoors
3. Siberian Coolers 85 Q: http://amzn.to/1WDbdT7
4. Canyon Coolers Outfitter Series 35Q: Amazon.com : Canyon Coolers Outfitter Series 35-qt. Cooler, SANDSTONE : Sports & Outdoors
5. Engel Deep Blue Series 50 Q: http://amzn.to/1Tf7fjK
6. Igloo Sportsman Series 55Q: Igloo Sportsman 55 Qt Cooler 44921 | Amazon.com
7. Igloo Sportsman Series 40Q: http://amzn.to/1Tf7lIh
8. Yeti Tundra 45: http://amzn.to/1WDaRfh
9. Grizzly Coolers 40 Q: Grizzly Coolers Cooler, OD Green/Tan, 40-Quart | Amazon.com

Old 29-03-2016, 08:16   #33

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)

I have a colman plastic cooler that is supposed to hold ice for 5 days. Since in the summer here 90s are pretty routine, and triple digits generally happen for at least a couple of days, it's hard to keep everything cool!

So, bought a backpackers ensolite foam pad, cut it to fit the bottom, sides and underside of the lid, and contact cemented it in. huge improvement. the foam pad was about 12 bucks...The cooler will hold ice for 5 days in hot, humid weather.

1/2" foam. Maybe you could put in two layers..
Old 29-03-2016, 08:35   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

After looking at Yeti and it's competitors we opted for a Fiberglass (Gelcoat) Evakool from Australia. They also make Polyethylene models but as ours was going to be on deck all the time we went for the UV protection of the fiberglass model. Insulation and seals of similar thickness and quality of other tip quality models. Not cheap but it's been amazing over the past 4 years. It's a lifetime investment and we are very happy with it. Evakool Fibreglass Iceboxes
Scott Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:17   #35

Boat: 31 Contender

I have an 85 and 115 quart version of these Frigid Rigid - Ice Chests, Coolers, Refrigerated, Marine, Solar Refrigerator, Freezer, Coffin Box which are excellent. The locking mechanisms are superior to Yetti as is the cooling. They will also make custom sizes and shapes though they are expensive.
Old 08-06-2017, 13:53   #36

I have this Coleman Cooler and it's a good one for camping and fishing https://www.cooler-guide.com/buying-...mping-coolers/

The ice lasts not as long as a Yeti but for a lot cheaper.

Best, Georg
Old 16-06-2017, 12:23   #37

I say start with dry ice.
Old 16-06-2017, 14:41   #38

Dry ice is far too cold for soda, beer or food.
Old 16-06-2017, 15:11   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Dry ice works quite effectively, not in direct contact with food items of course, but stored separately so it just chills the compartment.

Years ago I used block ice + dry ice in built in ice boxes and easily got a week of fridge level temps.
Old 16-06-2017, 16:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Dry ice works quite effectively, not in direct contact with food items of course, but stored separately so it just chills the compartment.

Years ago I used block ice + dry ice in built in ice boxes and easily got a week of fridge level temps.
So now you're wasting precious interior space building an interior wall, or spacing items away from the dry ice, which is at -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit (-78.5 degrees C). I've used it once and felt it was a waste of space.

Far better to use Techni-ice or something similar. It freezes below 32*F and you can use it in direct contact with all of your items instead of ice. It's colder and longer lasting than regular ice, yet doesn't melt. If you have access to a freezer at -10*F or similar, the Techni-ice is at that temp when you put it in the cooler and it maintains those lower temps. far longer than regular ice, while taking up less space.
Old 16-06-2017, 19:41   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
So now you're wasting precious interior space building an interior wall, or spacing items away from the dry ice, which is at -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit (-78.5 degrees C). I've used it once and felt it was a waste of space.

Far better to use Techni-ice or something similar. It freezes below 32*F and you can use it in direct contact with all of your items instead of ice. It's colder and longer lasting than regular ice, yet doesn't melt. If you have access to a freezer at -10*F or similar, the Techni-ice is at that temp when you put it in the cooler and it maintains those lower temps. far longer than regular ice, while taking up less space.
In the cases where Ive used lt, it was in already built in ice boxes with spaces already designed for block ice. A brick sized piece of dry ice surrounded by block ice works quite well.

But dry ice has its obvious draw backs too.
Old 18-06-2017, 12:51   #42

Quote:
It doesn't take much to beat a Yeti in ice retention. Here's a video of a 5 day cooler test between 10 coolers. The Rubbermaid control cooler was not ranked, Yeti came in at #8 out of 9, beating only the Grizzly cooler.

Here are the rankings of the 9 coolers tested:
Surprising results. Thank you for this!
Old 18-06-2017, 13:40   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
... If you have access to a freezer at -10*F or similar, the Techni-ice is at that temp when you put it in the cooler and it maintains those lower temps. far longer than regular ice, while taking up less space.
Any data that supports this? My understanding is that it is mostly water, so the heat of fusion should be similar. Yes, I understand it takes longer to warm up. Block ice takes longer to melt than cubes, but it does not provide more cooling capacity per pound. I've tested many gel-pack products, and generally they take longer to thaw, but also fail to keep the cooler really cold. More like 50F than 32F (the temperature of the pack is actually a very small factor--it is more about heat transfer rates and the total amount of refrigeration available before the food hits 45F.).

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 18:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Any data that supports this? My understanding is that it is mostly water, so the heat of fusion should be similar. Yes, I understand it takes longer to warm up. Block ice takes longer to melt than cubes, but it does not provide more cooling capacity per pound. I've tested many gel-pack products, and generally they take longer to thaw, but also fail to keep the cooler really cold. More like 50F than 32F (the temperature of the pack is actually a very small factor--it is more about heat transfer rates and the total amount of refrigeration available before the food hits 45F.).
I've used these for at least 10 or 12 yrs, in addition to bagged ice and block ice. The best performance by a good margin was block ice, especially if it's brought down to a lower temp in a home freezer before use. For example I just checked my freezer side of my fridge and a block of ice in there is currently at -26.2*F. The Techni-ice would start off just as cold, but is not as long lasting as block ice, but it's longer lasting than bag ice, while also being lighter weight.

Any time I pack the cooler, it's always a tradeoff between how much ice to use and how much beer will fit. If the purpose is to keep beer cold with no other source of ice for 6 days, I'd probably use 1 block of ice and a couple of Techni-ice sheets at either end of the cooler. If I only needed to keep the beer cold for 3 or 4 days, I'd probably opt for 6 - 8 sheets of Techni-ice and get a few more beers in the cooler, while also saving weight. In short, T-I has replaced bag ice when I have no source of ice on the trip. If I'm camping in the RV, it's not a issue because I have an ice maker that puts out about 20 lbs of ice between breakfast and dinner.

My fave setup for 2-3 day trips is one cooler for food with T-I layered in it, food stays really cold, doesn't get soggy. One cooler for water and soda with T-I in it and a 3rd cooler with beer, ice cubes and rock salt to get it colder, it doesn't melt any faster.

I distinctly remember seeing a video produced by the makers of T-I, but I can't find it now. Here's a chart showing temp. retention rates, allegedly done by an independent source so I suppose one could trust it.

Old 20-06-2017, 11:35   #45

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

I think the "best deal" I've found in coolers are the plain Styrofoam "Omaha Steaks" style boxes. Not sure where their origin is, but several industries use them for shipping frozen products.

They won't take ANY abuse and should be considered "disposable" since they just foam. No handles, they don't make good seating, and the do get dirty.

On the plus side - they're dirt cheap and are pure insulation. The larger ones have 3" plus thick walls, so they do keep ice for a long time. Not being slaves to fashion, they are also very "square" and don't waste any exterior space by rounding corners.

Walmart even sells one like this with an added tape hinge to make opening and closing easier.

They're not pretty, but they work!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: