Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 13:29   #1

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Beans and Rice Together in Pressure Cooker ?

In preparations for a cruising lifestyle, I am going to use my new pressure cooker today for the first time. I've read up on the cooking techniques, but I can't find anywhere if you can cook dried beans and rice at the same time. Every recipe says "serve over hot cooked rice" Can't we just put everyone in the pot together? Help and thanks!
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 13:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Beans and rice together in pressure cooker?

I just went looking around the internet for the same thing. No luck. Perhaps it is because beans take longer and if you cook rice as long as beans the rice turns to mush? I don't know...just guessing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 13:54   #3

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Saltysiren and David M,

Check out the Nov., Dec. and Jan. issue of SOUTHWINDS Magazine | News and Views for Southern Sailors It is a free online sailing magazine that may give you some helpful information.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 13:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

If you soak the beans overnight, you might get away with it... otherwise yeah; wallpaper paste!
Old 27-02-2011, 13:59   #5

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Thanks all...I figured it would probably end up paste. However, I'm going to try it. I'll take copious notes in case I have a success story to share.
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:12   #6

Boat: Privilege 37

Rice in a pressure cooker does not work very well, unless it is for about 10 minutes or so. We tried it a couple of weeks about. Better to cook the rice, then cook the other and mix for a finale blending of flavors, without the pressure.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:20   #7

Boat: Tartan 30

I cook beans and rice together on a regular basis. Although not yet in a pressure cooker, i suspect it would not make any difference other than faster cooking times.

The trick is to use beans/rice with similar cook times. For example, brown rice (on a regular stovetop) needs to cook for up to 45minutes, so a bean like, great northern beans, lima beans, black eyed peas, navy beans, and black beans all cook within the same 45-50 minute time frame.

If you want to use white rice, or maybe quinoa, then the only thing that cooks that fast would be lentils.

I'd say it's worth experimenting a bit. I find that some beans often cook a lot quicker than the packages says. I suspect it has something to do with freshness and soak times.

brown rice is pretty hardy, I'd just cook per the directions for the beans, but add the correct amount of extra water for however much rice you put in.
Old 27-02-2011, 14:22   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Rice in a pressure cooker does not work very well, unless it is for about 10 minutes or so. We tried it a couple of weeks about. Better to cook the rice, then cook the other and mix for a finale blending of flavors, without the pressure.

Is that white rice?
Old 27-02-2011, 14:24   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving

Brown rice take about 12 minutes in pressure cooker,,, look up macrobiotic cooking ,,, i think beans take about the same time if you soak them,

Varieties of Dried Beans for Pressure Cookers

if you look for a little CLAY pot that you can put inside the pressure cooker then it can be done easily,,

rice cooking times

http://missvickie.com/howto/grains/rice-cooking.htm
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:27   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I cook beans and rice together on a regular basis. Although not yet in a pressure cooker, i suspect it would not make any difference other than faster cooking times.

The trick is to use beans/rice with similar cook times. For example, brown rice (on a regular stovetop) needs to cook for up to 45minutes, so a bean like, great northern beans, lima beans, black eyed peas, navy beans, and black beans all cook within the same 45-50 minute time frame.
I think you hit it on the head. The difference in cooking time for jasmine rice and black beans is so great that I suspect you would either have beans and goo or rice with rocks. The brown rice might be something though if it were paired with beans requiring similar time.

One thing I would be very cautious of is the total quantity of both ingredients in the pot. The rice will expand quite a bit and the beans will expand also but to a much lesser extent. I'd hate to plug up the pressure release with a solid mass of rice.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:29   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

Japanese Ohsawa Pots And Pressure Cookers

Japanese Ohsawa Pots and Pressure Cookers
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 15:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWIW, My mother tried cooking split peas in a pressure cooker when I was a little boy. Took forever to get it off the cabinets, counters, walls and ceiling in the kitchen. The peas blocked the pressure valve and it blew the lid off the cooker. I'd be afraid beans and rice would have the same problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 01:02   #13

Boat: Liberty 49

If you have a quick pressure release button, you can cook the beans for x number of minutes, release pressure, add the rice and any additional liquid necessary, and bring to pressure for the remaining number (y?) minutes (where beans need x+y=fully cooked). Might need to adjust for a minute or two but should put you close. I've done this numerous times with various beans and (usually brown) rice and it has worked well. If you don't have a quick pressure release button, then you probably have to do the old fashioned way of running cold water over to quickly drop pressure.

Also, I release the pressure immediately at the end, then take the lid cover the bottom with a double layer tea towel (fold it in half) and loosely put it back over the rice/bean mix until served. For some reason this keeps the whole thing from becoming mush. This works well for traditionally cooked rice also.

If you're going to cook with the same type of rice/beans all the time, try each on it's own to figure out how long to cook.

The pressure cooker is probably one of my favorite appliances; I don't believe this "can't" be done! It's all an experiment...just like life
tararenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 01:25   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

we cook west indian style rice and beans,which in fact is white rice and brown lentils.
1 cup rice(basmati),1/2 cup lentils,3 cups water,1/2 tsp salt.
bring up to pressure,then turn off heat,let stand about 15-20 mins,then release pressure.

kidney beans,i would cook seperately from rice.

soak beans over night,rinse,add fresh water,about twice the volume of the beans,salt.

bring up to pressure,turn down heat and keep at pressure for 30 mins.

also good to add garlic and stock when cooking.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 02:26   #15

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

+1 to tararenee. Their approach is what I use for both red beans and rice and for black beans and rice.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote