Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 15:53   #31

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Beans and Rice Together in Pressure Cooker ?

It may cost more money to eat wholesome foods, but money is just money. Food is much more important to your survival than money. Really. So eat the best food you can get your hands on!

Brown rice can be had quite cheaply if you buy it at a big asian market like Uwajimaya. Beans, lentils, barley, basically all grains are quite cheap. Veggies can be expensive, but are usually much cheaper than junk food.

A lot of junk food is basically corn or corn syrup, which is so cheap in bulk that it is kind of a joke. For instance, popcorn homemade is nearly free.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 16:42   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I saw a show on television, Modern Marvels, about rice where they were processing California grown rice. This rice naturally comes with mostly white but also darker grains. I kid you not, they had a machine that separates the rice sliding down this track into very fine rows, optical sensors sense a darker grain and then a puff of air knocks it aside so they get almost pure white rice.

It left me with the impression that at least for California grown rice, there is no difference between white or dark since they are coming from the exact same plants, grown from the same seeds in the same field.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 17:11   #33

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
It may cost more money to eat wholesome foods, but money is just money. Food is much more important to your survival than money. Really. So eat the best food you can get your hands on!
To a point, I agree.

I mean, out in the middle of the ocean, a twenty dollar bill doesn't even make good toilet paper, however on land, twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

Where I'm at, that can be processed food for 4 for 2 meals or a couple of heads of 'organic' lettuce. Yes, the lettuce is better for you but, the processed food with keep you full, longer. As with most things, it's all about choices.

Quote:
Brown rice can be had quite cheaply if you buy it at a big asian market like Uwajimaya. Beans, lentils, barley, basically all grains are quite cheap. Veggies can be expensive, but are usually much cheaper than junk food.
I have never found a place where good food is cheaper than junk food. North America has been trained to believe that "there's a better life though chemistry." Before WW2 and it's advancements in chemistry, everybody ate 'organically'. It wasn't a choice, it was simply how things were.

Of course, without those advances in chemistry, we wouldn't have fiberglass boats.

Quote:
A lot of junk food is basically corn or corn syrup, which is so cheap in bulk that it is kind of a joke. For instance, popcorn homemade is nearly free.
I hear you. I just wish everything that was good for you was reasonably priced and the crap had the outrageous pricing.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 17:20   #34

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I saw a show on television, Modern Marvels, about rice where they were processing California grown rice. This rice naturally comes with mostly white but also darker grains. I kid you not, they had a machine that separates the rice sliding down this track into very fine rows, optical sensors sense a darker grain and then a puff of air knocks it aside so they get almost pure white rice.

It left me with the impression that at least for California grown rice, there is no difference between white or dark since they are coming from the exact same plants, grown from the same seeds in the same field.

There actually isn't any difference between the two until after the processing...

any rice isn't considered "white rice" until it has been "polished". which is the process of removing it's exterior coating (which is the "bran" and "germ" and all the other good stuff). So even if there are color differences it wouldn't matter in the final product. If its been polished and it's still brown, it's not "brown rice" And "brown rice" is only brown because it still has it's natural coatings, and it's often not actually brown, the color will depend on the ripeness of the grain, as well as the actual type of seed and even climate conditions and any othe variables in the growing process.

I hope that makes sense.

Not sure what they were doing in that film, but I know if you go look at some imported rice's from the asian store, you will see many different colored grains, green, brown, white, black, red, even transparent (all in the same bag!). The uniformity of a product is very important to American food manufacturing. So that may have something to do with what they were doing.... Either that or they are genetically altering grains to try and invent some type of "healthy white" rice.