Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 10:11   #31

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)
Re: Bean to Cup Machines?

I have a nespresso machine and do pour over coffee. The taste between nespresso and pour over cant be compared. While I used nespresso for years, the pour over is far superior and much less expensive. You need a grinder (hand) paper filters, the holder for the coffee, and the cup below it and the pot with a narrow stream spout. You can make depending on the pour over device, 9 cups of coffee. Here is a video of what this is and you can see that it fits sailing well (I would not get this round bottomed container though) Blue Bottle Coffee Expert Shows Us How To Make The Perfect Pour Over
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
I have a nespresso machine and do pour over coffee. The taste between nespresso and pour over cant be compared. While I used nespresso for years, the pour over is far superior and much less expensive. You need a grinder (hand) paper filters, the holder for the coffee, and the cup below it and the pot with a narrow stream spout. You can make depending on the pour over device, 9 cups of coffee. Here is a video of what this is and you can see that it fits sailing well (I would not get this round bottomed container though) Blue Bottle Coffee Expert Shows Us How To Make The Perfect Pour Over
Hmm, could be worth trying. When I first became a coffee addict (decades ago, in law school) I used Melitta filters with the plastic holders. Bought fresh roasted beans from a head shops (really). Ground them in a crappy Bosch blade grinder. I remember its being incredibly delicious.

Weavis, do you ever use this method? Opinions?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:22   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The real question is how big a boat do you need to have the electrons and space to have one of these machines. Do you buy the machine and then find a boat to fit.

Survive with hand grinder, Melita filter and an ancient Thermos brand SS thermos as a receptical if I want really good coffee. If I'm lazy or conditions are too bad to use the Melita, have an insulated SS French Press.

Can't believe anyone would drink that crank case oil instant stuff. Also the same for pre ground coffee. Coffee doesn't last forever and loses flavor/spoils faster after it is ground. Dark roast brings the oils in the bean to the surface which also causes them to spoil quicker. Much prefer a medium roast to the burned coffee that fuels Seattle. Charcoal is charcoal after all. If you go electric, want small and can live with the inconsistent grounds size of a blade grinder, Krups makes a good one. Much prefer a burr grinder that gives a uniform grind. Have one made by Solis that works fine and didn't cost a fortune. Drink my coffee strong and black. Don't want any adulterants to get between me and the experience. Also added benefit of not having to deal with putting in the additions while hanging on in a gyrating sailboat. Like to drink my coffee not wear it.

Had a coffee farm till I blew my back out so am intimate with coffee from planting the keikis through to the roasting, packaging and marketing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:00   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I use these on board for filter coffee.

For quick use after making just pour straight into mug........... this was new product I was testing so was measuring volume.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35   #35

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Wevis, May I respectfully disagree with this method that you show as being pour over? This is more like soak over with coffee ground at some other time, and then soaked. For a coffee fanatic, it is a sacrilege. If you gracefully give me that right, then.....

And, to try this method before you buy is easy, go to a real coffee shop, not a starbucks, and they should have it. Just ask and look like you know what you are doing, and say "Hi, pour over please" and then look hipster.

The "blooming" process is caused by the release of CO2 from FRESHLY ground coffee. Then, you have to use a thin spouted (if that is a word) hot water pot, not a wide one, so that you let the water slowly, slowly (but it only takes 2 minutes to make a cup or 3 minutes to make many with the right size filter holder) stream into a waiting cup.

I have made this on rough seas on deliveries, and brought the filter holder that I bought on amazon, and then amazed a new captain at my Coffeelisious creation. Easy, fast, and good. But, don't ruin the correct process. Here is a link to the portable filter holder that you put over a single cup and the second is the cool looking funky pot for the water...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Buono-Co...ver+coffee+pot
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
Wevis, May I respectfully disagree with this method that you show as being pour over? This is more like soak over with coffee ground at some other time, and then soaked. For a coffee fanatic, it is a sacrilege. If you gracefully give me that right, then.....

And, to try this method before you buy is easy, go to a real coffee shop, not a starbucks, and they should have it. Just ask and look like you know what you are doing, and say "Hi, pour over please" and then look hipster.

The "blooming" process is caused by the release of CO2 from FRESHLY ground coffee. Then, you have to use a thin spouted (if that is a word) hot water pot, not a wide one, so that you let the water slowly, slowly (but it only takes 2 minutes to make a cup or 3 minutes to make many with the right size filter holder) stream into a waiting cup.

I have made this on rough seas on deliveries, and brought the filter holder that I bought on amazon, and then amazed a new captain at my Coffeelisious creation. Easy, fast, and good. But, don't ruin the correct process. Here is a link to the portable filter holder that you put over a single cup and the second is the cool looking funky pot for the water...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Buono-Co...ver+coffee+pot
I dont think I said it was a pour over. I said it was a method that I use I was not answering the pour over question.

I grind the coffee fresh on land and as its usually 2 days old the bloom is about an inch. I then let it sit for a while and then pour.

Its a hybrid French Press/filter combination.

To answer the pour over- I like it.
Old 04-08-2015, 00:01   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is the issue for boat owners.

A decision has to be made regarding what type of coffee is to consumed during voyages.

a/. filter
b/. Espresso.

In the absence of a catamaran, heel is going to play a part in the operation of an expensive espresso machine unless sat on a gimbal. Great in dock or at anchor but not so good on a reach. The alternative is filter coffee or a Nespresso machine or some single shot device.

Im happy with good quality filter coffee. My storeroom at home contains half bags of 5 coffees which I roast as required. The 'goto' coffee for everyday use is a Colombian. When I used to go to the boat for the day or for a couple of days, I would take 500 grams of roasted and sealed colombian and use the clever dripper. 2 mugs out of one prep.I would bring the coffee home with me when finished and take a fresh bag on the next visit.

When the permanent Cat finally arrives, I will set up the galley with the dual fuel burn expresso machine and be a happy camper. Until then, the good quality coffee and the clever dripper works in all weathers.

For those that drink instant, strong as anything and thick as tar, the Robusta will eventually win and holes will appear in places you dont want them.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35   #38

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Here is the issue for boat owners.
a/. filter
b/. Espresso.
No mention of percolated coffee? This method is well suited to boats...even monohulls! Coffee was prepared this way for decades until the big Melitta revolution. I worked on a Maple Leaf 48 that had a dedicated gimballed single burner stove, bulkhead mounted, with percolator. Coffee can be made thick as tar if required for a long night watch, or more refined if you have the inclination.

Amazon.com: Farberware Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 8-Cup Coffee Percolator: Kitchen & Dining

Forespar Mini-Galley Hot-Spot
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
No mention of percolated coffee? This method is well suited to boats...even monohulls! Coffee was prepared this way for decades until the big Melitta revolution. I worked on a Maple Leaf 48 that had a dedicated gimballed single burner stove, bulkhead mounted, with percolator. Coffee can be made thick as tar if required for a long night watch, or more refined if you have the inclination.

Amazon.com: Farberware Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 8-Cup Coffee Percolator: Kitchen & Dining

No mention of it from me.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:19   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

My father had one of those on his boat for decades. Almost turned me into a tea drinker Percolaters seem purpose-built to burn out everything tasty in coffee, and concentrate everything nasty and bitter.

One day I threw it out with the trash, and gave him a french press. He still remembers that day with gratitude, and it was a couple of decades ago!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of my fantasies is to put a cause of death as "From drinking Percolated coffee.".

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52   #42

Boat: 37C Hunter

Being on the hook we use our own power which, while we have plenty we are careful how we use it (thus no coffee machine). We used to only make French press coffee on board. Then I had some wonderful single brew, drip costa rican coffee on St. Croix and fell in love with it. So I bought for $7 a Primula Coffee Brew Buddy Single Cup Coffee Maker, Red from Amazon. The downside is of course you make one cup at a time but it makes such a great cup of coffee. And if I am feeling a bit crazy I froth my milk with a little $10 frother from Amazon.

Camile
s/v Obsession
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:56   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Coffee is the one beverage that hours are spent over discussing techniques and styles.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:07   #44

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Over the years I have tried many things. I got hooked on Italian espresso when I lived there. Needless to say, most americans have zero idea on what good coffee is. In the end I am on my second Euro-piccola by Pavoni. I have to just figure out how to power it on the boat.

Of course in the US, it can be a challenge finding good beans. It is usually some americanized blend and roast or just burned beans and called dark blend. I use imported beans from, where else but Italy.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Over the years I have tried many things. I got hooked on Italian espresso when I lived there. Needless to say, most americans have zero idea on what good coffee is. In the end I am on my second Euro-piccola by Pavoni. I have to just figure out how to power it on the boat.

Of course in the US, it can be a challenge finding good beans. It is usually some americanized blend and roast or just burned beans and called dark blend. I use imported beans from, where else but Italy.
I have had several Pavonis.
Unique, wrong threaded and for small single shots of espresso. Difficult to multi shot without cooling in between.

Lovely pour from them.