Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 19:11   #1

Lightbulb BBQ recommendations please

So someone decided to hit our boat, and it destroyed the grill that was on the back. On the plus side, that grill was kind of lame anyway. What I'm looking for in a new grill:

1) No flame outs! I'm so tired of leaving food on the grill to be cooked, only to check ten minutes later and it's cold.

And that's pretty much all that's on my list! I heard someone saying you can get a wok on some grills? That would be nice too. It's just for the two of us, so nothing too big and nothing too small.

Here's my current grill (from the impact of the other boat):

http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...6/dscf2159.jpg
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 19:19   #2

Boat: Tayana 48
It might be too small for a wok, but I'm lovin' my Force 10 "Stow 'n go". It has little fold-down legs on the corners so you can take it to shore for a bbq, and has great heat distribution. Does not offer electronic ignition, but that's just one less thing to malfunction anyway. Oh yeah, its pretty inexpensive, too...expect to pay about $130-140. Mounting hardware is another 30 bucks.
HIH
John
Old 08-04-2007, 20:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
It might be too small for a wok, but I'm lovin' my Force 10 "Stow 'n go". It has little fold-down legs on the corners so you can take it to shore for a bbq, and has great heat distribution. Does not offer electronic ignition, but that's just one less thing to malfunction anyway. Oh yeah, its pretty inexpensive, too...expect to pay about $130-140. Mounting hardware is another 30 bucks.
HIH
John
One like this? Binnacle.com - Your complete online marine store

The manual ignition and cost are fine. I'm in agreement about "one less thing to go wrong", and as long as it's under $300 I'm cool. I did a tremendous amount of cooking on my old one, and would have done more if it wasn't for the fact that it's bent up and smashed now.

Any problems with flameouts?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15   #4

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I have one too - great little barby with no flame-outs so far - but if it blowing like stink, it might. Easy on and off with the rail mount.
Old 09-04-2007, 13:19   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
We got a small stainless steel propane grill from Lowes for about $80 two years ago. It is still going strong! Our Force 10 died after 3 years rusted control valve ($350). (Didn't use it on a cruiser, it was on my fishing boat)
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:39   #6

Boat: Tayana 48
RebelHeart
Yeah, that's the one. I have not had any flame-outs, but have only had it cooking in 10-12 kts. I just looked at Defender.com, they now have 3 sizes, 125, 145 and 225 square inches. Prices are from $140-$220. Mine is the 145 inch...I might have gone bigger if it had been available, but I do like to compact size and ease of transporting.
I haven't seen rust problems yet, but I fully anticipate that I will need to replace every 3-4 years. At least its cheap enough to do so. And the convenience of being able to transport it to shore, or another boat, is an added benefit.
John
Old 09-04-2007, 16:20   #7

why do you need to replace every 3-4 yrs. i have an old magma kettle manual light that came wit hmy boat. it is about 16-18 yrs old and still functions fine. it is even set up to run off a propane bottle or cylinder. it gets covered after every use. and cleaned as needed. stays hung off the rail all summer. also have the magma newporter for big gatherings don't like it as much. uses alot more fuel, big and bulky.
mike d. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 19:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
why do you need to replace every 3-4 yrs. i have an old magma kettle manual light that came wit hmy boat. it is about 16-18 yrs old and still functions fine. it is even set up to run off a propane bottle or cylinder. it gets covered after every use.
I don't see the problem either. I'm sure, if you smash it hard enough it will break - so will most everything.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 12:30   #9

Grills:

I have one of the stainless ones that takes the little green bottles. I bought it at Home Depot and it's been a good grill. It will flame out if you have much wind though. It cost about $65. I think the brand is West Bend?.?
Wilverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue