Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 410
Re: Bath and Body Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I know this isnt food provisioning but we are planning to live aboard soon and I am curious what soaps, shampoos, lotions etc...are acceptable without going pricey organic stuff. Trying regular liquid Ivory right now for hair and body but it seems a bit drying.

Thank you!
I'm curious as well, why wouldn't you use the same products you use at home? We've been aboard three years now and use the same stuff we used on land. Have never had to take a saltwater shower, fresh water is just too easy to come by. Maybe on passage you may find the need for one. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this...

Old 01-10-2015, 11:48   #17

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

If you like Dr Bronners soaps, and would like to learn about the ingredients, and why it is called a "Castile soap" there is a very good FAQ page here that has some interesting info on the stuff.
https://www.drbronner.com/customer-service/faqs/

--------

The peppermint scented variety has been know to cause some either tingling or mild burning sensations in sensitive areas in SOME people. I experienced this as a cool feeling and tingling. This is also explained int the FAQ page, with the reason being the menthol in the peppermint essential oil used in that variety. The simple solution is to use one of the other varieties that does not contain menthol (mint) oil.

I suggest reading the FAQ, especially if you prefer organic things etc.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16   #18

Thank you for the welcome, Im loving all these ideas. Its so hard to know what is acceptable without being in that environment yet. Im so glad to have a friendly helpful place to ask these things, you all are awesome!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Misti, If you plan to spend much time swimming, the best thing for your skin and hair is a little oil (eg almond, apricot or avocado). Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to make it smell good (I like lavender and rose) and use it before jumping in. It keeps both hair and skin silky smooth and soft and it costs next to nothing. A tiny amount works well as a moisturiser too.

Use whatever shampoo is your favourite as a body wash. Very little is needed and most lather well in salt water. I find bars of soap on the transom messy and awkward.

SWL
Old 01-10-2015, 13:07   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I think "regular" products contain phosphates (?) and other ingredients that are harmful to the marine life. My sinks and shower discharge straight out of the hull (to the SF bay), no holding tank. Is Dr. Bonner's harmful to the marine environment, if anyone knows?
Old 01-10-2015, 13:45   #21

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
I think "regular" products contain phosphates (?) and other ingredients that are harmful to the marine life. My sinks and shower discharge straight out of the hull (to the SF bay), no holding tank. Is Dr. Bonner's harmful to the marine environment, if anyone knows?
Good question.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s (Hippie Era) when Bronner's soaps became widespread (usually found in health food stores then), I recall reading how it was recommended as "biodegradable" compared to other available liquid "faux soaps."

From the Dr Bronner's FAQ I linked above:
Do your soaps contain any foaming agents or detergents like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?

"Absolutely not. Dr. Bronner’s soaps are 100% true pure-castile soaps. The high-foaming lather of our soaps comes from their high coconut oil content, which creates a more luxurious and richer lather than any detergent could ever produce. “Pure-Castile” is your guarantee that what you are using is a genuinely ecological and simple soap – not a complex blend of detergents with a higher ecological impact due to the waste stream created during manufacturing and the detergents’ slower biodegradability. Unfortunately, many synthetic detergent blends are deceptively labeled as “Liquid Soap” despite the fact that they contain absolutely no real soap whatsoever."
Many "liquid soaps" and shampoos are really detergents. Detergents are different from real "soap."

I knew that but could not recall the difference I was taught years ago in Chemistry class. So I googled and found this page which explains it clearly:

Soaps vs Detergents,Soaps versus Detergents,Difference Between Soaps and Detergents

[I]
Soaps Ingredients
Usually labeled as beauty, facial, or cleansing bar soaps, true soaps are generally produced with natural products (soap and lye) and require very less energy in the manufacturing process. It is possible to make soaps without having leftover by-products, which tend to go to the landfill, and the soap, which flows down the drain while cleaning is biodegradable. These soaps have a pH of 9.5 to 10 (alkaline) that makes them effective cleansing agents and eliminates the requirement for harmful antibacterial chemicals and preservatives.

However, some manufacturers use beef tallow (fat), in soap making, as this is an unused byproduct of meat processing, which can be obtained very cheaply. While saponified beef tallow can be used to make a satisfactory soap, there are some substances in tallow, which that do not saponify, and may cause acne and skin breakouts.

Superior quality soaps are produced with oils, like - palm, castor, coconut, or olive oils, and retain the natural glycerin, rather removing it and selling it for profit, which bulk manufacturers generally do.

Detergents Ingredients
Detergents are generally made from petroleum products with surfactants, foaming agents and alcohol being their primary constituent. To remove the disagreeable odour of these chemicals, detergents are heavily scented with cheap, synthetic and artificial fragrances. Detergents ingredients also include preservatives and antibacterial agents (to increase their shelf life) that make the detergents frequent causes of allergies and reactions.[/I]
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 19:48   #22

thanks for the oil tip so most shampoos are bad for the fishies?
Old 20-10-2015, 14:47   #23

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

After reading this I tried Dr Bronner's Soap. It does everything stated in this thread. I'm a convert. One product does it all.

THAT's why I'm on this forum. Thanks.
Old 21-10-2015, 09:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I was looking for something else yesterday and I noticed that they had Dr. Bronner's soaps in bulk. You could fill up a variety of size bottles. It looked like a good way to save some money. May be not a lot but..... This grocery store caters to a clientele that is very healthy conscious. You won't find it in bulk at Safeway.
Old 21-10-2015, 10:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I stumbled into using Johnson baby shampoo. I use it on my diving mask to prevent fogging. Now I use it for shampoo and bodywash too. Smells good, is gentle, leaves hair/ skin soft and silky, rinses easily. I also have a bar of dial at our shower station on deck and down below, it is antibacterial which is needed from time to time.
Erika
Old 21-10-2015, 11:29   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I stumbled into using Johnson baby shampoo. I use it on my diving mask to prevent fogging. Now I use it for shampoo and bodywash too. Smells good, is gentle, leaves hair/ skin soft and silky, rinses easily. I also have a bar of dial at our shower station on deck and down below, it is antibacterial which is needed from time to time.
Erika
I'll second what Erika just wrote. I always have baby shampoo on the boat. You don't have to use so much water to rinse it off. And Dial is a good soap for under the pits. No body likes stinky sailors, except stink sailors.
Old 21-10-2015, 17:44   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
... Johnson baby shampoo. I use it on my diving mask to prevent fogging.
Thanks for this tip, too. From time to time I lose my little bottle of antifog and then fret over where to buy another. . . . No longer needed apparently.
Old 21-10-2015, 18:10   #28

Boat: Leopard 40

For my hair - whatever soap, shampoo, I find - works great, especially since I've been bald since age 19.

No one has mentioned Ivory soap .......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: