Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46   #31

I used this place, meats are high quality and have not been to salty. I have not checked how much salt they contain. The NZ butter is great.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/product.html
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 15:59   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

Skippy, an't nobody going steal your cheese! I would be interested to see how it turns out. I keep olive oil above the stove for months at a time....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:24   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Depends on where you are off to. Most places have shops so provisioning is really not necessary.

If going to Caribbean you can tick rum off.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:27   #34

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Skippy, an't nobody going steal your cheese! I would be interested to see how it turns out. I keep olive oil above the stove for months at a time....
Olive oil has been used as a preservative for centuries. Think "sun dried tomatoes." If you dry vegetables and then store them in olive oil they will keep for a long, long time.

I don't see why cheese would be any different.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:50   #35

You see unrefrigerated specialty cheeses packed in oil in the supermarket. My sun dried tomatoes in olive oil almost always get moldy before they are used up.... even in the fridge.... but it's always the very top layer and it may not be completely covered with oil...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53   #36

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"

Where are you and where are you going. How long will you be gone?

I agree with the sensible comment about the menu. Start there. Plan for 2 meals a day plus snacks. I have a spreadsheet that I used when we left the USA 2 1/2 years ago but if I was going for only a few weeks or a month I would go the menu planning route. If this is a long voyage then think about what you make at home and what ingredients you need. There are many 'One Pot' cookbooks out there and I like GalleySwap.com for ideas too.
Old 07-05-2012, 13:01   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

I would think dried tomatoes are placed in oil to modify their taste rather than to extend their shelf life. There is no reason to extend their shelf life as they keep easily for a year and next year you can dry another batch.

This much blah said sure thing keeping food in oil will seal the ingredient from air so it is a proper conservation method for many types of food.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:04   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are making a 3 day passage then make sure you have provisions for 2 weeks, just in case. ye never know what is gonna happen.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
if you are making a 3 day passage then make sure you have provisions for 2 weeks, just in case. ye never know what is gonna happen.....
There are some important things to be prepared for at sea. This is not one of them. You get yourself a problem on your 3 day cruise that leaves you out there for 2 weeks with no food. So what.... The average person is overweight anyway.... And don't say that's not true. It would be a golden chance to break your over endulging eating habits and lose some weight!!!!!

Make sure you have enough water.... Forget the provisions for the 2 week .... ye never know what's gonna happen!!
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:44   #40

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Submerging a food in olive oil (or any oil of your choice) might not extend the shelf life. Bacteria can still grow in that food that can make you sick. Several years ago the FDA warned about eating chopped garlic that was sold in jars of oil that did not contain preservatives. If the oil contains preservatives, the garlic is safe. If the oil does not contain preservatives, that garlic is not safe to eat after 2 weeks. I would worry that the same would apply to any other food submerged in any non-preservative oil. Seeing mold grow on sun-dried tomatoes placed in oil that does not contain preservatives surely indicates that bacteria is growing in that oil.

I would not chance it with cheese. Just buy the cheese (or tomatoes or garlic or whatever) in oils that do contain preservatives rather than attempting to do it yourself with the wrong oil and risk getting sick.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
There are some important things to be prepared for at sea. This is not one of them. You get yourself a problem on your 3 day cruise that leaves you out there for 2 weeks with no food. So what.... The average person is overweight anyway.... And don't say that's not true. It would be a golden chance to break your over endulging eating habits and lose some weight!!!!!

Make sure you have enough water.... Forget the provisions for the 2 week .... ye never know what's gonna happen!!
on my boat, water to drink is considered part of provisioning. i usually keep drinking water for a month on board even in port. food comes AFTER diesel and water. ALL is important to make a successful passage and not dehydrate or starve. food is important for energy. without food one becomes weaker. without water, same thing until ye die of dehydration.
i have some friends had bouts with dehydration despite my words--they learned.
having been icu and emergency rn forever, i KNOW what to bring and not to bring. only makes sense.
overstocking is better than understocking in ANYTHING.
weed out the unusable items and go for it.

havent submerged anything in olive oil--the stuff is too pricey to waste it like that. i use items as bought from store-isnt the need to preserve as much nowadays as was in history before fridges were invented. even sans fridge, i dont oil my items.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30   #42

Boat: Tayana 37

I've stored cheese using olive oil in a jar (don't waste oil, use for cooking or salad dressing), spray with vinegar water and vacuum packed, and cheeses sealed in wax from the store.
All worked to preserve cheese, although sometimes needed to slice off some mold.
Best method seemed to be the pre sealed/wax covered cheese, then the vacuum sealed method. Oil in a jar worked, but was messy.
Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27   #43

cheese stored sans oil lasts long enough for a passage. no problem. is a helluva mess to try to slice cheese with oil sliming your cutting board.
cheese is moldy milk. isnt gonna kill ye or give ye diseases without fridge. oil is good for cooking --i will not slime my galley with old wives tales.
not to mention the accident waiting to happen whenye want a cheese sammish in a roiling sea. do what makes sense. dont kill or maim yourself with land based old wives tales brought to sea. try to handle a grqab rail with oil on hands. try to catch self from falling likewise. common sense is very important.
Old 10-05-2012, 20:33   #44

I've kept cheeses (Costco Parmigiana Reggiano & cheddar) well wrapping them in cheesecloth soaked in vinegar. It keeps them for a very long time. I've also had feta & blue cheese in oil which was good- and the oil for salads is awesome. I'm not sure why it wouldn't keep bacteria out if jar was boiled and oil was heated. I would think it seals the air out so bacteria can't get in. I tried to look it up on Internet but couldn't find info. Would love the source of where the FDA said this was not good- I worked in a microbiology lab and am interested.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31   #45

On putting sun dried tomatoes in oil watch out for bacteria. I read a few articles and I would not do it. Below it a good recipe to dry them.

http://voices.yahoo.com/delicious-su...e-1378859.html
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food