Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 21:16   #16
Registered User
 
zeta's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Boat: mt34dt
Posts: 308
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

This should suffice:
__________________

__________________
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 21:30   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier

so bad! ... I was about to reply, "by stepping onto the quayside with your wallet and an empty rucksack" then I saw your post...
Yeah, a glib responsse and a bit mean spirited. But funny...

There are lots of ideas around provisioning. The first is how many people? How long till restock? How much storage space? Fridge? Freezer? Ice box - how long the ice last?

For me?

Lots of pasta, dried beans and rice as staples. I also love soda crackers which to me are a good replacement for bread which is a pain to make or doesn't last long on a boat. Tortillas!

Then it's all the stuff to make the staples taste good. The trick is finding low sodium and healthy. I like the sachet mixes for pastas. Flavors are endless. Carbonara, pesto, etc.

Veggies - I would stick with hard veggies - potato, yams, pumpkin, carrot, onions. Canned peas, carrots, corn mix - I throw that in everything from pastas to fried rice.

Condiments - I am simplistic. I love garlic and use minced in a jar all the time. Salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, basil are about the only spices I use. Yes fresh is cool but shakers are fine. Mustard freak - several types. I can take or leave ketchup ('mato sauce) but tobasco is a must have. Canned ghee and margarine and small bottles of mayo. Small cans, open. If spoiled before consumed, toss... I can live without sugar and use equal sachets instead.

Fluids - water or water maker - lots. Many dont like but I love the Crystal light drinks - powder sachets, make a couple quarts at a time. Coffee, coffee, coffee... And a little tea. Of course whatever else you like. When I get dehydrated I can kill for gatorade. Coke/pepsi/soda water. I am a rum soda guy - can live without beer. Sufficient uht milk.

Meats - canned tuna & salmon, canned chicken, canned corned beef (but way salty). Canned hams & sausages. Not a fan of spam any more. I have also been thinking that one could get small coolers. Big enough to hold a couple of steaks, couple of chicken breasts, some sausages (I am a sucker for spicy links) - basically a cooler the size of a 6-8 pack. Pack the meat and fill with water. Seal with duct tape. Deep freeze. find the coolest spot on the boat to store. I wonder if you could get one to last 4 weeks. Basically a cooler of meat per week.

Savouries - dried chinese sausage, filipino sausage, hot links/jerky - chopped up into rice dishes to liven the meal

Others - oatmeal, canned fruits, granola bars, trail mixes, bags of nuts - every time we charter we also bring chocolate (peanut m&ms) - don't they are always gone by day two. I think they roll inot the bilge and disappear...


So bit of a brain dump just for ideas. I haven't fleshed out what might be missing but more important than quantity is variety. Also you pretty much figure out what you eat now and find ways to substitute prepared or fridge needing ingredients with dry or fresh. Dry ingredients as opposed to canned and fresh would consume less space or be more flexible on where you can store.

Ice - I think getting away without ref is pretty easy. But a cold drink is way comforting. I think a tiny ice maker, enough to cool drinks and milk would be a real joy to have.
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:52   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The grocery store?
Yeah, that is what I always do. While there buy stuff you like to eat.
__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:22   #19
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

Why are Americans and Canadians OBSESSED with ice?

When I went to Nova Scotia and checked into a motel, even before I filled the registration card, she pointed out the TWO ice machines in the hallways. The weather that evening was cool and raining. Why the hell would I want or need ice?

On top of that, you freeze beer and cider, killing and potential flavours. Ok, scrub that for Bud, coors miller etc, its hardly a beer anyways, more of a kids alcopop, like a melted popsicle. Maybe its best you do anethetise the throat with ice and gas before consuming.

Real ales must be served at room temp, and a cider is a cousin to a red wine and they too must be served ambient.

If your addicted to ice, how will you live without when the world stops turning?
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Go
Boat: Various
Posts: 666
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

While I agree about the three basic food groups (rum, ice, beer) I find it's truly a lifesaver to have a shipload of sandwiches made up and in the reefer. For the first few days out you're very busy, routines are unfamiliar, and some people may be seasick. Having sandwiches ready to grab plus perhaps hot water for bouillon or tea, everybody can keep belly from backbone even if the cook can't keep up. Lightly salted popcorn is also filling and calming. If you don't have a microwave underway, buy popcorn in bulk and have a hand-cranked stove-top popper handy. They are bulky and balky but once you get the hang of the danged thing you'll be glad you have it. Great over beach fires too.
__________________
Janet Groene
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:19   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: Bristol 38.8
Posts: 1,625
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

Instead of pasta and rice I stock quinoa, just as I do on land. It's healthier and keeps forever. Like others, I carry plenty of dried food that keeps without refrigeration. I'm fond of the Alessi dried Italian soups so I stock up on those. Cabbage and root vegetables also keep for a long time.

Instead of sandwiches I plan on lots of one pot meals that you can eat out of a mug with a hunk of bread: chili, stew, hearty soups. Great when you are sailing. The key is to have the food ready ahead of time, because it's a PITA to cook in a seaway.

Garbage can be a real problem on a boat unless you have a solid fuel stove. I take everything out of the package and store it in reusable plastic or metal containers to cut down on the trash.

I carry plenty of spices, and the most crucial for me is lemon pepper because its great on grilled fish. I also carry dry wasabi powder and picked ginger for when I don't feel like cooking the fish.

JanetGroene's popcorn suggestion is good, except popcorn makes a mess when it spills. I have a microwave but it's almost as easy to pop it on the stove. All you need is a pot with a top and a little vegetable oil. Just keep shaking the pan from side to side when you start to hear the popping noise.

As for rum, I strongly recommend Gosling's 151 proof black Bedrmuda rum. A little goes a long way.
__________________
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:41   #22
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou
Why are Americans and Canadians OBSESSED with ice?

When I went to Nova Scotia and checked into a motel, even before I filled the registration card, she pointed out the TWO ice machines in the hallways. The weather that evening was cool and raining. Why the hell would I want or need ice?

On top of that, you freeze beer and cider, killing and potential flavours. Ok, scrub that for Bud, coors miller etc, its hardly a beer anyways, more of a kids alcopop, like a melted popsicle. Maybe its best you do anethetise the throat with ice and gas before consuming.

Real ales must be served at room temp, and a cider is a cousin to a red wine and they too must be served ambient.

If your addicted to ice, how will you live without when the world stops turning?
+1 Anjou, I love Normandy cider, I keep it at ho e under the stairs near an outside wall. Keeps it just right. When I want ice I want 1yes one cube. I was always stunned at these huge ice machine in US motels, I could never figure out why you needed a wheelbarrow of ice at a time.

( phsst , the foreign cousins make beer from rice. , nasty stuff. If you want beer, only German, czech , or Austrian, ale the Brits make the best. Cider well I'm completely biased.

What I love at the moment is the explosion of bottled specialist beers and ales yum, so much better now then the junk out of draught taps. ( PS I never drink anything in a bar machine dispensed ) mind you Ive gone back to Guinness, but hate that pubs cool it way down, it used to served like ale, now to compete with the "ice cooled crap" they chill it way too much. Have to go to Dublin to get a decent pint.

Everything even ales benefit from being a little chilled , but the emphasis is on little. Some are so cold you can't hold the glass.


Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:36   #23
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Basic Food Shopping List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
While I agree about the three basic food groups (rum, ice, beer) I find it's truly a lifesaver to have a shipload of sandwiches made up and in the reefer. For the first few days out you're very busy, routines are unfamiliar, and some people may be seasick. Having sandwiches ready to grab plus perhaps hot water for bouillon or tea, everybody can keep belly from backbone even if the cook can't keep up. Lightly salted popcorn is also filling and calming. If you don't have a microwave underway, buy popcorn in bulk and have a hand-cranked stove-top popper handy. They are bulky and balky but once you get the hang of the danged thing you'll be glad you have it. Great over beach fires too.
This is an excellent example of why each boat should provision according to food preferences of crew. Under absolutely no circumstances would I ever eat a sandwich that has been prepared and refrigerated or frozen. Bread that has been wrapped with plastic and left to sit for hours in a refrigerator is appalling to me. My husband finds nothing objectionable about pre-prepared sandwiches but the very thought of eating one turns my stomach.

I cook chicken breast or de-bone rotisserie chickens and package it in individual servings for those first few days of a long passage or if have heavy weather. For some reason, eating cold or warmed chicken with a piece of plain bread is okay; but the prepared sandwich is not. That is just me.

Provision for what you and your crew or family prefer to eat, not for what others like. If you don't eat it at home on land, you will not eat it just because you are now on a boat.

Judy
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:29   #24
Registered User
 
justjohn's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VI and headed south
Boat: 1984 34 Oday
Posts: 68
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

so beer, rum, rice and beans?
__________________
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:31   #25
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

and wine, perhaps a bottle of cider or two. After that what else do you want , most of the food groups are there, somewhere, hiding

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:53   #26
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
+1 Anjou, I love Normandy cider, I keep it at ho e under the stairs near an outside wall. Keeps it just right.
Normandy Cider! - especially stuff from the farm sold at Fetes / Markets .......that brings back some happy memories, well, some vague recollections . Wicked Stuff ......and normally I don't like cider .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:52   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

lots of campbell soups, chips, water, fried chicken(yes fried chicken..lol)!
__________________
mandamcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

Do you have a fridge and or freezer? What do you Like to eat?First thing I did was stock my boat with Lots of sealed containers and Zip Lock bags. I don't have a fridge or freezer so I plan accordingly I don't get anything that needs to be refridgearated longer than my Ice will last in My ice chest. There are ways around some things that I like that need to be kept in a fridge after they are opened. Like mayo, mustard,catchup,relish. Those things i buy in resturaunt bulk stores in the individual packets like at McDonnals. I buy lots of noodles, pastas, beans,rice. I purchased a bread machine so that I have fresh bread easy, a Rice cooker so i dont have to stand and watch over the rice and it comes out perfect every time. Lots of canned food ( make sure you write with a permanent marker what they are and the date of purchase on the top for some reason lables vanish then its what you open is what you eat)I buy lots of differnt sauces for the noodles and pastas but I put them in plastic tubs with soft foam sheets between them keeps the jars from breaking make sure you get the spices and seasonings you like if you think out your shopping and know what you enjoy eating you can pretty much have anything you want. they sell lots of canned fruits. there are canned seafood and canned ham, spam, peanut butter, you can get jelly packets again at the resturaunt supplies theres powdered milk canned condensed milk powdered eggs, pancake mix, chips, granola, cream of wheat, oatmeal, crackers, soups,nuts, dried fruits,cheese whiz, and tons more i am sure hope this helps with some ideas. Oh and for those special moments some nice wine or wine coolers are nice to have on hand hb
__________________
JGomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:57   #29
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 783
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yeah, a glib responsse and a bit mean spirited. But funny...

There are lots of ideas around provisioning. The first is how many people? How long till restock? How much storage space? Fridge? Freezer? Ice box - how long the ice last?

For me?

Lots of pasta, dried beans and rice as staples. I also love soda crackers which to me are a good replacement for bread which is a pain to make or doesn't last long on a boat. Tortillas!

Then it's all the stuff to make the staples taste good. The trick is finding low sodium and healthy. I like the sachet mixes for pastas. Flavors are endless. Carbonara, pesto, etc.

Veggies - I would stick with hard veggies - potato, yams, pumpkin, carrot, onions. Canned peas, carrots, corn mix - I throw that in everything from pastas to fried rice.

Condiments - I am simplistic. I love garlic and use minced in a jar all the time. Salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, basil are about the only spices I use. Yes fresh is cool but shakers are fine. Mustard freak - several types. I can take or leave ketchup ('mato sauce) but tobasco is a must have. Canned ghee and margarine and small bottles of mayo. Small cans, open. If spoiled before consumed, toss... I can live without sugar and use equal sachets instead.

Fluids - water or water maker - lots. Many dont like but I love the Crystal light drinks - powder sachets, make a couple quarts at a time. Coffee, coffee, coffee... And a little tea. Of course whatever else you like. When I get dehydrated I can kill for gatorade. Coke/pepsi/soda water. I am a rum soda guy - can live without beer. Sufficient uht milk.

Meats - canned tuna & salmon, canned chicken, canned corned beef (but way salty). Canned hams & sausages. Not a fan of spam any more. I have also been thinking that one could get small coolers. Big enough to hold a couple of steaks, couple of chicken breasts, some sausages (I am a sucker for spicy links) - basically a cooler the size of a 6-8 pack. Pack the meat and fill with water. Seal with duct tape. Deep freeze. find the coolest spot on the boat to store. I wonder if you could get one to last 4 weeks. Basically a cooler of meat per week.

Savouries - dried chinese sausage, filipino sausage, hot links/jerky - chopped up into rice dishes to liven the meal

Others - oatmeal, canned fruits, granola bars, trail mixes, bags of nuts - every time we charter we also bring chocolate (peanut m&ms) - don't they are always gone by day two. I think they roll inot the bilge and disappear...


So bit of a brain dump just for ideas. I haven't fleshed out what might be missing but more important than quantity is variety. Also you pretty much figure out what you eat now and find ways to substitute prepared or fridge needing ingredients with dry or fresh. Dry ingredients as opposed to canned and fresh would consume less space or be more flexible on where you can store.

Ice - I think getting away without ref is pretty easy. But a cold drink is way comforting. I think a tiny ice maker, enough to cool drinks and milk would be a real joy to have.
Can anyone name a canning company that uses less salt in their meats. Every time I try canned meat you need to rinse it off before you use it because of all the salt they use in it.
__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:36   #30
Registered User
 
skippy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
Posts: 98
Images: 1
Re: Basic Food Shopping List ?

i just read an article that you can take extra virgin olive oil and put in sterilized glass canning jars, put your favorite cheese in the oil and put the lid on tight. this does not have to be refrigerated and will keep your cheese for 6 mos. gonna try this!!

Hey! Is that my cheese?
__________________

__________________
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Food Shopping List ? justjohn Provisioning: Food & Drink 44 12-05-2012 05:31
Food Allergies lcrider Health, Safety & Related Gear 26 09-05-2012 15:21
Bermuda - Rules on Food etc PamlicoTraveler Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 25-03-2012 10:42
Do You Dry Food While Underway? Mike OReilly Provisioning: Food & Drink 21 16-03-2012 09:45
A List of General Questions Notpopeye General Sailing Forum 8 12-03-2012 19:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.