Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 19:26   #46

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
OK, got myself a solid-fuel Magma. First go at lighting it wasn't too successful despite buying the Magma cylinder thing. What's the best way to light the charcoal?

lockie
We had issues at the start as well using way to many beads

Then we got this book https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...asp?item=10108
(at least I think it was this book) which had lighting instructions

From memory it was 4 little lucifers or similar in the middle
and 12 heat beads surrounding and up into a pyramid

Light and let turn red with the white ash on the outer (about 20 minutes from memory) and then cook away

Very satisfying results with it but it is not a fast bbq, more of an oven

Bearing that in mind, have some damper or apples or something at the ready to put in after main meal is cooked as the beads do keep burning for a while.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:44   #47

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Propane is either stripped (along with butane and ethane) from natural gas or extracted from crude oil during the refining process when making gasoline. Personally I like charcoal for grilling in the backyard and propane for grilling on the water. Propane will keep better in storage, lights instantly and when finished there is no mess to clean up. With charcoal there is going to be stinky smoke as it burns down and always the possibility of wind blowing soot and ashes all over the place.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52   #48
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

We use a little weber kettle, a smokey jo, on the boat, and mesquite charcoal. For lighting I loosely crumple paper into the bottom half of a coffee can that has the top and bottom removed. I pile two handfuls of charcoal on top and then curse as I struggle to keep himself's bic lighter lit long enough to get the paper burning. Once it's going then it's all good. trick is to keep the paper LOOSE to allow lots of air flow. Sometime I crumple up extra paper under the lower grill (that the charcoal sits on) to add a boost to the start.

Once the coals are glowing I use the tongs to pull the can upa nd out and then spread the coals and put the grill in place.

We have a small round propane grill and I have always meant to gut out the propane element so I can use it with coal. I have considered leaving in the propane element and using that as a gas lighter to start the coals but haven't gotten around to trying it at dock to see how it works.

I would pretty much only grill when becalmed or at protected anchor. And YES I miss the big ole swim platform off our old boats which we used to grill on... that was sweet.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 05:57   #49

Boat: Geo Wilson, Black Swan, 30foot
Send a message via Skype™ to CygnusV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I deceided to stick with propane when mine gave out but I sure thought long and hard about the Cobb:
Much more info ( and videos) with a variety of other types of Grill etc

Cobb grill / stove / cooker in action

We like it because as others have said the body remains cool enough to sit either on the deck/plastic table/grass etc without burning the surface. Onboard use with either charcoal or (again as stated in another reply) coconut husk, which is excellent.

The pic' below is from last summer. We'd moored up on the river and fired the Cobb up, went to a nearby pub and came back to roast fore rib of beef which we demolished with salad. What a good day that was!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roast beef rib on Cobb.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	30660  
Old 20-08-2011, 12:43   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
We use a little weber kettle, a smokey jo, on the boat, and mesquite charcoal. For lighting I loosely crumple paper into the bottom half of a coffee can that has the top and bottom removed. I pile two handfuls of charcoal on top and then curse as I struggle to keep himself's bic lighter lit long enough to get the paper burning. Once it's going then it's all good. trick is to keep the paper LOOSE to allow lots of air flow. Sometime I crumple up extra paper under the lower grill (that the charcoal sits on) to add a boost to the start.

Once the coals are glowing I use the tongs to pull the can upa nd out and then spread the coals and put the grill in place.

We have a small round propane grill and I have always meant to gut out the propane element so I can use it with coal. I have considered leaving in the propane element and using that as a gas lighter to start the coals but haven't gotten around to trying it at dock to see how it works.

I would pretty much only grill when becalmed or at protected anchor. And YES I miss the big ole swim platform off our old boats which we used to grill on... that was sweet.
Yikes; and what's the problem with propane?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 14:15   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

What I don't like about propane grilling is the leftover grease. Always finds a way to drip from somewhere. It is nice looking stainless till it is used. After that is looks pretty bad. With charcoal at home it is mostly in the ashes (or burnt up). Tastes better too!
Old 20-08-2011, 15:41   #52

Hmmm, we have 2 SS BBQs and neither looks like shyte after 3 years and never leak grease on deck; however the rail extensions are required to drip overboard and not on deck.

Old 20-08-2011, 16:22   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Mine looked like they hadn't been touched in 5 yrs. They had only been cooked on for 5 yrs!

The grease drips onto the boat, so mount so the grill overboard, then the grease will feed the fishies and boat will be pristine.

I dislike shiny. I just acquired a rail mount ss bbq because I could not find a weber smokey joe here in maz for 2.50 usd.

They want 60+ usd for their new ones. ouch. So i found a used ss.

I have owned 4 ss grills-- all 4 magma. The charcoal ones do not extinguish in winds as do the propane ones. The charcoal ones do require charcoal for use. Propane cylinders for the bbqs in mexico costs 798 pesos in Mazatlan. Pesos were 12/4 to one dollar yesterday.

Mine is charcoal now. Ccharcoal is easy to find cheap--I use mexican mesquite, which i haven't had to find here yet.

I found my ss rail mount charcoal grill used for under 20us dollars. with rail mount, now I just have to find the rails........
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 16:52   #54

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusV View Post
Much more info ( and videos) with a variety of other types of Grill etc

Cobb grill / stove / cooker in action

We like it because as others have said the body remains cool enough to sit either on the deck/plastic table/grass etc without burning the surface. Onboard use with either charcoal or (again as stated in another reply) coconut husk, which is excellent.

The pic' below is from last summer. We'd moored up on the river and fired the Cobb up, went to a nearby pub and came back to roast fore rib of beef which we demolished with salad. What a good day that was!

Just to add another endorcement for the Cobb BBQ. Bought one earlier this year and have found it to be absolutely perfect for a boat. Like has been said, no need to worry about GRP decks etc, and it's also very stable. Even in a heavy swell at anchor you won't have to worry about it.

Another plus is how little fuel it needs, just 5 or 6 brickettes on average is more than enough, no need to hump large bags of solid fuel around.

Also, because it's self contained, it's just as easy to use on quayside as it is on board and you won't have to wait until it cools down to bring it back on board when you're done.
Old 22-08-2011, 02:42   #55

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

I have to say we looked at gas BBQ's but they are expensive and the gas aint cheap. We went down the COBB GRILL way and boy have we been pleased we use it on the GRP deck and have no probs as it only gets hot on the top. The bottom and sides stay cool you can even pick it up when its going full tilt. We had a BBQ for 14 friends on the quay in Morlaix Brittany. We used 8 bricquets and cooked for 4.5 hours and all was lovely and jucy and tasty. Its also very easy to clean and can be transported in the dinghy to use ashore.
Old 22-08-2011, 05:47   #56

While a Cobb may have a place on board, there is no evidence that it's cheaper nor safer than a gas grill; in fact they're about the same price and once lit have no "off" switch. As well, another form of fuel has to purchased and stowed aboard (briquettes not fairing that well in moist situations) as well as the issue of getting rid of the ash (throwing it overboard is not an option). As, liveaboards we BBQ at least one meal (almost) everyday; the time wasted to heat up and cool the unit down is just wasted time.

Old 22-08-2011, 07:09   #57

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I have to both aggree and disaggree with the above. Fuel storage and waste disposal would be an issue if you use it very often, as with all solid fuel BBQ's (although I honestly can't see the problem with putting ash overboard if not in a marina) and yes, you can't just 'turn off' a solid fuel one either. However, for the occasional user, I still think they're a better option with the added bonus of being able to be taken ashore, either to the beach or just on the quayside. Most gas units are just to cumbersome for that.

Therefore, it's 'horses for courses'.
Old 22-08-2011, 09:16   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

turning off a bbq is putting on the lid and making sure there are no air leaks . it goes right out. the metal stays warm a bit of time, but if it is rail mount an dyou heel far enough, that problem is solved.....
i used a weber kettle smokey joe for years. i got them for 2.50 used and used them up. when legs fell of, dumpster got them. couldnt use em underway....
now i found a used magma type charcoal rail mount--omg i am a yottie ..oops.....now i only have to install a rail for mounting it or use my wood base mount and screw it into m y teak cap.....decisions....decisions.....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:03   #59

Boat: UFO34

Does anyone have experience with the Magma kettle BBQ that is propane gas fired from the disposable 1Lb canister? At face value, it looks to be more convenient / less work than the charcoal version that seems to be very popular in this forum.
Magma have an open grill (wire mesh) as standard, but supply a cast aluminium plate that looks to be a necessary option to stop the fat dripping down into the bowl of the kettle. Any practical experience / advice would be welcome before I spend my dollars.
Old 24-10-2011, 10:20   #60

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi,

We've got one and found it good to cook on, provided you could mount it outboard so any dripping stuff missed the boat!

After a couple of mishaps we found it sensible to rig narrow guage 'safety' wires through all the items on the unit - grill, lid, burner etc. Bit too easy to pick them up red hot and possibly drop them overboard......!

Understand as an Aussie how the lack of a plate might seem to be an issue, but we found the wire grill just fine and when we needed a solid surface we placed a small cast iron griddle plate on one side.

But those small gas bottles are not always easy to find so suggest you also rig an spare extension hose for a big bottle if you aim to head further afield.

As we then moved to a classic power yacht and tend to BBQ ashore, we bought a tabletop Weber lookalike which we also run on an extension hose.

As a result, if anyone in the south of the UK wants a bargain priced second hand gas fired stainless steel Magma - just pm me!

JOHN

Tags
barbecue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: