Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:38   #16

I crusied for 3 plus years in the Caribe and in Spain and was never more than 7 or 8 days between provisioning. I've done some big ones when I provisioned for 5 for 2 weeks. YIKES!

Of course when you leave the major metro area (Caribbean???) then the pickins are slim etc. and you have to change your meal "structure".

For those who are out there cruising in more desolate and removed locations how do you provision and how much of your time is in these locations?

Like water, I never felt that provisioning up was a major hurdle aside from cost and what was available. I recall one delivery we're we stopped at a tiny island in the Bahamas where there was virtually nothing on the shelves but a few old cans. We didn't need, but if we did, it would not have cut it. But that was pretty much the exception. In most of the Caribe, and especially in the St Maarten, Guadeloupe, Martinigue, Antigua, St Lucia I had no problems with getting provisions.

What say you?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04   #17

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Not sure why powdered foods are worthwhile if you have to add heavy water to make them? 5 litres per person per day is reasonable.
OK, good for back-up with a long, long life but two weeks (planned trip) starting with fresh foods, fresh meat, fresh veg isn't too bad and moving to canned after a few days is reasonable on health and variety. After three days stew the lot, what's boiled will last another couple of days. That's the first week covered, then it's survival by inventive cooking and spices weigh very little and give variety and surprises. Add calories by chocolate, great, and it never goes off bad enough not to eat.
Your body lasts a month without food, a week without water.
Monitor it carefully, disconnect the electric pump when long cruising and hand pump for economical use.
Make salt water easy to access for preparing and rinsing veg, washing and rinsing plates etc. The debate seems open on clothes washing in sea water.