Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2010, 11:24   #46

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
You can partially cook rice / pasta / potatoes, then take your pot off the stove, wrap it in a towel / blanket or sleeping bag, making sure the pot is not glowing otherwise whatever you used will have an individual design mark. Everything will still cook as long as you don't open the lid.
How long you need to cook things is a bit of an experiment.With rice I have managed to cook it for 5 minutes and then just leave it to soften up. But depends on the typeof rice and how much heat your stove gives .

If you cook pasta : When it is half done, you can add your veggies tomatoes etc and boil down the water so that you get a thick sauce, saving on simmering the sauce separately. You will probably get a soupy sauce / soggy pasta the first time round, but afterwards you will know exactly your timing.

Not sure if you are atthe dock at the moment, but if you have access to mince/ground meat, you can cook a whole lot with basics like onion,tomato salt and pepper reserve half ,cook the other half as bolognese for example and the next day make for example a risotto with the cooked mince/ground meat.

Old 16-11-2010, 11:40   #47
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Mark,,, I don't know your rice cooking techniques but if you've a heavy based saucepan with lid.... stock up on Basmati rice (I never use anything else) and use 1 cup rice x 2 cups water.... bring to the boil quick stir bang lid back on and turn off the gaz... leave for 10 mins or so and all the water should have soaked in... lovely rice...
The beauty is you can start the rice on one burner while prepping your sauce ingredients then switch pans.. only use one burner instead of two to do the cooking... cuts consumption loads...
You can use 1/2 cup if the above is to much rice to manage...
I like cold rice with milk and sugar or honey as a snack so none gets wasted over the side as fish food.
Also.. you've a fridge... knock up as many sauces/stews etc as possible in the coupla days before you set out and stick em in the freezer section, assuming your set-ups the same as on my former 331... then change your bottle at the last minute.
Also check the supermarkets for part cooked bread... takes about 10mins and cook 2-3 at a time....
Hope the aboves some use...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:04   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"*What tricks can I use to save gas"
Boil water. Add rice or pasta, llow to reboil. Then shut the flame. cover the pot, put a tea cozy over it. Let sit for 20 minutes and the rice or pasta is cooked. (Adjust time as needed, thinner products cook faster.)

Isn't "Gaz" just butane with a touch of propane added to it? You should be able to fit together your own refill valves and roll your own mix.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:11   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Make a ton of trail mix and package it in snack bags to keep it fresh and also control portions so you don't over-do. Make a variety of different sweet and savory recipes for breakfast, snacks, whole meals. There will be times when you don't feel like eating, times when you don't feel like cooking, times when you really need nourishment but just don't have time to prepare a meal and times when you're wandering about at odd hours and want something to eat without disturbing others. Gorp recipes galore at http://www.2NQecb
there are many folks with nut allergies--dont want anaphylaxis while underway. there are also many who are not able to eat nuts-- dont want to have an issue with intestinal ruptures while underway. this is an excellent solution for the trail hiking youth. older folks are not able to accommodate gorp. the dried fruits are excellent- but the nuts will kill them or render them not usable crew. be aware of the handicaps of your particular crew members so you do not have problems mid passage.
simple foods requiring minimal cooking are good for the rough passages if you have a well prepared galley in a well founded cruiser you will have a method of keeping stove on proper angle(gimballs) and you will have a method of keeping the cook from flying across the boat...mine has straps and all kinds of nifty cruiser oriented gadgets and hooks for this. is all part of planning a cruise--prepping the boat for travel. can YOU eat trail mix and trail mix alone for 5 days and nights??or even longer????? i cannot-- not even one day!!!!! sorry this isnt a functional answer to CRUISING galley work. i was able to cook on a not well prepped boat for a year without resorting to gorp. we sailed thru lightning storms and high winds-- we NEVER ate gorp.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:27   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You should be able to fit together your own refill valves and roll your own mix.

Can gas go 'backwards' through a regulator? i.e. I have 2 gas bottles both with regulators on their ends of the hose. Will gas go from the full to the empty through the empty regulator when the full is above and inverted?

Thats for everyones cooking ideas. That mehtod of doing pasta and rice will save a ton of gas. I will do a cookin' test!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:42   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
mark--when i cook rice and have some chicken-- canned or otherwise--and veggies--i will add those to the rice before done-ness is achieved and make em all stew together-- when i have a large enough pot to do pasta, and a strainer, i will steam veggies over the pasta as it cooks...saves time while underway and gas.....cook rice in chicken broth.with herbs and spices...cook rice in pressure cooker..can be saved in baggies for later also if coming into a bad passage---i did that with goood results..
a bag of saved pasta--use olive oil to keep it from sticking together-- works well with chopped onion and tuna or whatever for a salad--simple and easy.
dont know answer to gas question......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 14:35   #52

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Atlantic Crossing Menu ?

How long will a cured ham (like the kind my granny would hang up in the basement) last in the humid environment of a boat?
Old 17-04-2014, 14:57   #53
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Atlantic Crossing Menu ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
How long will a cured ham (like the kind my granny would hang up in the basement) last in the humid environment of a boat?
Well the Spanish hams last for yonks... just hang it in somewhere and carve slices as you fancy...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 15:23   #54

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

How long is a yonk? :-)
Old 17-04-2014, 15:43   #55

Boat: Catalina 30

Thread from the wayback machine...

I dunno how long a yonk is, but Jamón ibérico is one of the finest gastronomical things in the world. Add some manchego, and of course plenty of Rioja......

I'm guessin the OP has already found out the answers being sought though.

Tags
atlantic crossing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: