Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 18:26   #31

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
..... Make tons of your own gorp (recipes found at CreateAGorp) and seal in individual snack bags. Forget salty, sugary, fatty junk food like toaster pastries and potato crisps. Combine healthful ingredients and snacks stick to your ribs longer.
Just read some of those recipes. They all sound extremely sweet or salty and/or high fat. Surely there are better snack mixtures utilizing various dried fruits -- maybe mixed with whole-grain unsweetened cereals or tiny whole-grain crackers or some sort. Even plain goldfish crackers, yellow and black raisins, snipped dried apricots and apples and cranberries, mixed with a light sprinkling of nuts would be much healthier and still be filling.

You need plenty of snack foods on long crossings, but all those snacks don't have to be laden with sugar, salt & fat -- just a few of them to indulge yourself on days when you need a little lift from the boredom.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 08:39   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
With chocolate there is one weird thing similar the world over. Cooking chocolate is about 1/2 the price and double the quality of the chocolte designed for eating....

It often comes in a plain wrapper or something to denote its meant to be stuffed into cakes before being stuffed into ya gob.

I just buy heaps of the dark and milk cooking chocolate. Sometimes I put a M&M on my head to look like a cake

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 12:43   #33

Location: Palma de Mallorca, Antigua, San Francisco and beyond!
Boat: where do i begin?
Me again!! old style cured ham is available and very much legal in the states but its nothing like the jamon iberico in spain which is not availble for sale probably due to different agricultural standards and, well, the hooves are attached to the jamon legs which could be off putting to an average american.. I know they are attempting to cure some nice him in a similar way in northern california and new england but they may have a hundred or so years of catching up to get to the same thing..you could most likely smuggle one into the states onboard but be prepared to see if it floats!
aashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 23:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashton View Post
Me again!! old style cured ham is available and very much legal in the states but its nothing like the jamon iberico in spain which is not availble for sale probably due to different agricultural standards and, well, the hooves are attached to the jamon legs which could be off putting to an average american.. I know they are attempting to cure some nice him in a similar way in northern california and new england but they may have a hundred or so years of catching up to get to the same thing..you could most likely smuggle one into the states onboard but be prepared to see if it floats!
Again, this is sold in the USA. Just difficult to find and only sold in high-end specialty markets. This news article was dated 15 Dec 2007:

First shipment of Jamon Iberico arrives in USA | ifood.tv

Next the rumor will be that only the lesser quality jamon iberico is exported and the best is kept for Spanish consumption. Maybe so.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 21-10-2010, 03:11   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Next the rumor will be that only the lesser quality jamon iberico is exported and the best is kept for Spanish consumption. Maybe so.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Hi Judy,

I think the best quality stuff would only sell in Spain: My leg was about 40 euros = USD$55 but the top quality stuff here is over 300 euros = USD$420 for one leggggggggggggg!
Only an affecionado will outlay that.

Old 21-10-2010, 18:12   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Mark,
beware of cheap cooking chocolate , which can contain virtually no cocoa solids and is all animal fats. High quality cooking chocolate is quite bitter and is typically upto 70% cocoa solids.

As to serano, A wholeleg for 40 euros, jeepers id be very suspect.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 20:17   #37

Boat: looking
Good use for your old tube socks...

Use tube socks to store wine (or other bottled beverages). It will protect the bottles when they roll around. If a bottle does break all the glass will be contained in the sock rather than become a hazard.
Old 21-10-2010, 21:04   #38

culinary wasteland?? thats insulting, just because our tastes for different foods are not the same as everyone elses, does not mean we are mediocre...as a former chef, (been at the stove for 35 years) i have found the foundation of american cuisine lies not in the "sauces" (which are only cover ups for bland or non filling foods) but rather in the skills of foods that compliment each other..
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 21:57   #39

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
COUNTRY HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Illegal!??????!!!!!!!!

Really?

Because its not refrigerated? Or processed some way?
You can't buy old style cured ham in the USA?

That would take the taps out of a flememco dancer!
Salt cured covered in cloth hanging from the ceilings in country stores all most got 1 last week 60 bucks
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 23:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
Good use for your old tube socks...

Use tube socks to store wine (or other bottled beverages). It will protect the bottles when they roll around. If a bottle does break all the glass will be contained in the sock rather than become a hazard.
Now that is a good tip! We cut wide strips from rolls of mesh like one would use to line kitchen shelves. The kind of rubbery mesh that most of us cruisers use to keep things from rolling and sliding on the galley counters when at sea. We place a wide strip of this rubbery mesh around each bottle of wine and secure it with painters duct tape, which is easy to remove and is reusable if left attached to the mesh strip. Then we lay the wine bottles on their sides athwartships and stack in a dry bilge area beneath the cabin sole -- coolest place on the boat and the bottles won't roll. Just stowed away another 4 cases of cabernet sauvignon for the upcoming Red Sea trip. The wine cellar is full.

Now I wish we hadn't thrown away old socks. Will remember that tip for future use.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 23-10-2010, 13:11   #41
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Make a ton of trail mix and package it in snack bags to keep it fresh and also control portions so you don't over-do. Make a variety of different sweet and savory recipes for breakfast, snacks, whole meals. There will be times when you don't feel like eating, times when you don't feel like cooking, times when you really need nourishment but just don't have time to prepare a meal and times when you're wandering about at odd hours and want something to eat without disturbing others. Gorp recipes galore at http://www.2NQecb
Old 23-10-2010, 14:17   #42

Boat: PETERSON 44
Your right Tortillas
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I think you mean flour tortillas. Fajitas are the marinated grilled meat, usually thinly sliced, that are grilled (sauteed) with green pepper strips (capsicum) and onion strips.

Fajita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia gives credit for the original fajitas to several different people, but I have always been under the impression that fajitas were created by Mama Ninfa in her home on Navigation in Houston, Texas, about 70 years ago and later became the featured item in her restaurants.

And, yes, tortillas are great for wrapping many foods. When visiting Australia a family in Mackay called tortillas "burrito bread." Whatever you want call them, they are good and very easy to make.

Judy
S/V BeBe
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 17:46   #43

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
just slice off a piece of that ham and keep crusing {smoked salt cured country ham }
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 12:24   #44
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Rule #1: take twice as much food as you think you'll need. Rule #2. Take a good variety of stuff because you'll probably develop strange cravings, binges and blacklists. Once, in the middle of the afternoon (after having a normal breakfast and lunch), I scarfed down an entire can of tuna like I was starving. Dunno why, but just had to have it. Rule #3. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes at sea you don't notice that you're getting dehydrated inside even though you're soaking wet outside.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:12   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Not enough gas!!!!!!!!

Oh stuff it all!

I don't have enough bloody gas!!!

I just ran out of Camping Gaz and now I can clearly claculate I use a tank between 20 and 27 days dependant on the amount of things I roast in the oven.

I am looking at a pretty slow trip trans Atlantic of not far under 25 days.
I only have one Camping Gaz cylinder and refuse to buy another as it will be lost money (or about $70US for the tank).
I will swap this one for a new one just before I leave.

It really means no roast dinners
No roast potatoes
No baking bread

Buying a $100 preasure cooker is a waste as I could buy a $70 cylinder...

Love my pasta and rice dishes!

What tricks can I use to save gas but still live like a king and have a midnight Hot Choccie? Without buying a preasure cooker?

Mark

Tags
atlantic crossing