Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2014, 12:29   #61

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Argument about Bahamian food prices

I'm just sitting on my porch overlooking Coco Bay with Rhum drink in my hand laughing at all the people from frozen locations fussing about the cost of living in Paradise. Rainey today as the cold front comes through, back to 80 by the weekend, a chilly 73 today!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:38   #62

Boat: 38' French Cat

I was wrong about the conch, please do not tell my wife i admitted this, email reply below from the person in charge!

I refer to your e-mail of 7th January, 2014 on the above.
Please firstly be advised that you are permitted to harvest conch from the shore without a sportsfishing permit.
If however you decide to fish from a fishing vessel that is not owned by a citizen of The Bahamas, i.e., (a rental), you must first obtain a sportsfishing permit at a Bahamian port of entry before engaging in any fishing in The Bahamas. Upon receipt of the sportsfishing permit, your allowable daily quota is not more than 6 conch on the fishing vessel at any one time.
Please note that if you decide to fish from a Bahamian owned vessel, (a rental), your allowable daily quota is not more than 250 pounds of marine resources including conch on the fishing vessel at any one time. The Bahamian fishing vessel is not required to have a sportsfishing permit.
Wishing you a pleasant visit to The Bahamas.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 08-01-2014, 13:59   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I was wrong about the conch, please do not tell my wife i admitted this, email reply below from the person in charge!

I refer to your e-mail of 7th January, 2014 on the above.
Please firstly be advised that you are permitted to harvest conch from the shore without a sportsfishing permit.
If however you decide to fish from a fishing vessel that is not owned by a citizen of The Bahamas, i.e., (a rental), you must first obtain a sportsfishing permit at a Bahamian port of entry before engaging in any fishing in The Bahamas. Upon receipt of the sportsfishing permit, your allowable daily quota is not more than 6 conch on the fishing vessel at any one time.
Please note that if you decide to fish from a Bahamian owned vessel, (a rental), your allowable daily quota is not more than 250 pounds of marine resources including conch on the fishing vessel at any one time. The Bahamian fishing vessel is not required to have a sportsfishing permit.
Wishing you a pleasant visit to The Bahamas.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Great, it's safe to post these pics now. My granddaughters.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's been years , but while anchored in the harbor at Georgetown, one afternon I noticed a line of conch right under the boat. My buddy and I harvested 15 that day right off the mothership. what a feast. After all the cleaning was done a 9ft hammerhead was repeatedly circling under and around our boat....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's been years , but while anchored in the harbor at Georgetown, one afternon I noticed a line of conch right under the boat. My buddy and I harvested 15 that day right off the mothership. what a feast. After all the cleaning was done a 9ft hammerhead was repeatedly circling under and around our boat....
That's why they discourage cleaning conch and fish in Elizabeth Harbour (GT). Most folks take a dink trip out to dump the stuff after cleaning. I don't think you're allowed to take conch in there anymore but I might be wrong. They've also cancelled the cross harbour swim due to the occasional shark.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:15   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, almost all my hunting was outside by dink. I spent many hours out there. never been in as good shape in my life. An hour and a half of going up and down 20 feet maybe 4-5 days a week really improves the lungs and body!
I've found in the Bahamas that 3 pm or later is the shark hour. Never seen them much earlier except early morning. I guess those are the feeding hours for them. It was a damn big Hammerhaed and I was surprised to see it in the harbor. The scent of fresh conch probably attracted it, but I imagine it was in the harbor already.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36   #67

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ;
Whereas Central America is

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America"
Central America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Even Wikipedia admits Central and South America are glued to the Continent of the USA, other wise known as North America (plus sundry Canadians)

Appologies to the canadians

Mark
Don't forget, Mexico is also part of North America...

Back to the real thread - flying in to Abacos in 2 months for a charter - what is realistic to bring with me?

Tankersteve
Old 12-01-2014, 11:40   #68
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
If gasoline and milk are running at $5/gallon canadians will feel right at home!
And Europeans would all own V8's at that price !! ( we're at around 10 bucks a US gallon )

I really feel your pain on the breakfast cereals

Dave

Tags
food, men, price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: