Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12   #76

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Are watermakers losing their relevance?

1st year of SeaTiger in BVI, I had no watermaker. Plans always centered around where to get water and on which day. Also watching our novice guests run water was stressing me out.. And part of the reason for being there was to be Stress Free.
So last year, added Spectra Newport 400 (Thanks Tellie) and the 1 week delivery back to BVI from Florida was nice, unlimited hot showers, deck wash and refill tanks as it dropped below 2/3 full. All aboard enjoyed watermaker.
On return to charter use, I enjoyed the freedom to use water as desired (as opposed to "only as needed") and freedom from planning based on water stops. Several Hard Core sailors on charter, while initially stating "we won't need it", then let me know "apparently one couple enjoys showering". Later that same experienced sailor let me know how GREAT the watermaker was.. "never again will I charter without a watermaker".
So even in the very friendly Islands of the BVI, I see the value of quality watermaker.

DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:44   #77
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Unfortunately, I do not know of a generic one for the 35. But let me know what you need and what costs you come up with and I'll see if I can't at the least get you a better price.
JT I am definitely going to go thru you for it . The current one has some 25+ years on it . Still running strong ( for now last test was 237 ppm) Its on its second boat. Been layed up for about 5 years now . I do the 6 month navy pms check and so far its doing great but when I cut lines again I will want to have new one on hand. I would never be without the capability of making water. Rationing is not living. BTDT

Old 12-01-2019, 11:02   #78

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Money no object, sure I'll take one. But now I need more power to run it, time and parts to fix it, noise to listen to etc.Our boat holds 200 gallons, we use about 10 gal per day without being conservative. Finding a hose to fill up has never been a problem anywhere I've been cruising for 30,000 miles. Only once did we fetch some by dingy.
Planning ahead helps, but almost every harbor that has fuel has water, and docking every 2-3 weeks isn't a bother. I prefer calling a laundry service to doing it myself anyways.
I bought a scuba compressor instead,
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:31   #79

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

In regard to water makers there are two points I would like to add. One, is that many island destinations without tall mountains have a shortage of water. It is inconsiderate to take from those in need. Second, to have a water maker and not need it is a pain. Water makers require maintenance whether they are used or not. To store a water maker without use requires pickling the membrane. The pickling only last six to nine months to be on the safe side. So for boats that stay in marinas a water maker is an undesirable item.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:17   #80
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
As a retired diesel boat submariner (Oberon Class) we couldn't afford to waste Fresh Water, so we didn't even get wet, soap up, rinse off, dry off etc. Bird Baths were the go, ie; clean your teeth, maybe splash a handfull of water under your armpits and crutch. 8 weeks dived without a shower, no problems, everyone smelt the same and we were all in the same boat...so to speak!! When we finally got ashore and we stayed in Motels, we would use their hot water up in no time! It would take 2 weeks of showering every day to get the diesel out of your skin!
For me, my Spectra380C WM is a compulsory part of kit!

I just worked on a 20 year old 380C today. A little Clark pump work and it's running like a new toy. I really like the 380Cset up, it's extremely reliable, the easiest watermaker in the world to work on, and it is the most energy efficient watermaker in the world, even in Spectras line of watermakers. Hold on to it, an oldie but certainly a goodie.
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:31   #81

It's about being self sufficient. Water will be the "white gold" of the next generation.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:39   #82
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
It's about being self sufficient. Water will be the "white gold" of the next generation.

They say that WWIII will be fought over water.
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 17:05   #83

We are currently cruising the west coast of North America. Stopped using any shore water somewhere in Northern California. Itís not an availability issue. Itís a quality issue. We drink our water and I donít want marina water in my tank. So by about day 4 in a marina we are anxious to leave so we can refill the tank, do laundry, and have showers on the boat again.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 17:37   #84

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
We are currently cruising the west coast of North America. Stopped using any shore water somewhere in Northern California. Itís not an availability issue. Itís a quality issue. We drink our water and I donít want marina water in my tank. So by about day 4 in a marina we are anxious to leave so we can refill the tank, do laundry, and have showers on the boat again.
Not even good enough to wash the clothes?
Well, I guess you can flush the bilges with the water.
Old 12-01-2019, 17:47   #85

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Really? The urban water quality is that bad on the USA west coast? I travelled via the coast via motorcycle a few years ago. Did not notice the problem.

I guess youíll have to head north. Canadian water quality is generally good, just donít ask Victoria what they do with their waste water .
Old 12-01-2019, 18:08   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Really? The urban water quality is that bad on the USA west coast? I travelled via the coast via motorcycle a few years ago. Did not notice the problem.

I guess youíll have to head north. Canadian water quality is generally good, just donít ask Victoria what they do with their waste water .

Safe yes, but have you tasted tap water in LA? Once you use your water maker, you need to keep using it. Membranes donít like to sit. If you have pure water (not hard water or chlorinated water) in your tank, itís good to keep it that way. Most marinas in Mexico say not to drink their water. So we donít even think about shore water or ever worry about it.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:36   #87

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I just worked on a 20 year old 380C today. A little Clark pump work and it's running like a new toy. I really like the 380Cset up, it's extremely reliable, the easiest watermaker in the world to work on, and it is the most energy efficient watermaker in the world, even in Spectras line of watermakers. Hold on to it, an oldie but certainly a goodie.
That's good to know, because this particular unit as old as it is, is still in it's original box, unused. The guy I bought my current boat off was selling the 380C separate. He was asking 5K for it, I paid 2K! I will be fitting it up sometime in February just before I splash this boat after a major refit. Do you think the Membrane will be okay? (never seen the light of day, let alone any water.) Any thing special to look out for on fit up?
Cheers mate for your input & advice, much appreciated.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 22:19   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Most of the survival food, except for the MRE, require water. See another reason for a supply fresh water.

The WM can successfully remove the salt and most of the remaining 'bad' things but, to be more pure, one needs to install an ultraviolet light feature prior to the storage tank.
Nope, not needed.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:17   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Recently I was looking through some ads on yw and noted that none of the ~40ish foot boats I happened to be viewing were equipped with watermakers.

The water tankage on these vessels was -- to my mind -- vast. 250 gallons. It made me think. Even at 20 gallons a day that's enough for most passages.

In years past purity, availability, and cost of water in remote areas was a major concern. Has the availability situation changed? Is the vast tankage present in a larger boat enough to reduce the utility of an RO watermaker?
There are two different discussions going on:
1) Original Question: Why do most cruising boats for sale not have water makers? Answer, most cruisers have no need for them. Water is readily available for little to no cost and easily stored onboard.
2) If you do extensive cruising away from viable water sources, is a water maker a good idea? Answer: Yes, it's a really nice tool though not absolutely necessary.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:41   #90
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There are two different discussions going on:
1) Original Question: Why do most cruising boats for sale not have water makers? Answer, most cruisers have no need for them. Water is readily available for little to no cost and easily stored onboard.
2) If you do extensive cruising away from viable water sources, is a water maker a good idea? Answer: Yes, it's a really nice tool though not absolutely necessary.
I disagree with #1 its just as likely that the reason many cruiser sailboats don't have watermaker for the same reason my last one didn't. They are expensive but don't add much to the value of a boat so like me they take the watermaker with them to their next boat.
Vice that just a quick look on eBay will give you another answer.

As to #2 well I totally agree yes a watermaker is great to have , once you do have one it becomes indispensable .

Tags
water, watermaker