Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 10:03   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39
Re: Are watermakers losing their relevance?

Elie,
Salt can’t pass thru the membrane of a RO unit. No worries there. However, it also filters out essential minerals and hopefully your diet will make up that difference. We have noticed no Issues regarding that matter.

Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:09   #32

I think it depends on where you're looking.

The vast majority of used boats on the market are not boats used for extensive cruising. There are many boats cruising long term and long distances, but most are used for coastal cruising over shorter periods of time where water is readily available.

If you look up and down the East Coast of the US, you will find most boats don't' have watermakers. Water is available at every slip and fuel dock. Many communities in New England (Newport, RI; Edgartown, Ma (Martha's Vineyard)) have a floating water rafts to pull up to wash the boat and fill up with free water.

Most boats aren't used for passage making.

Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12   #33

I have done a circumnavigation of the world, high latitudes and many places in between, a combined 15 years full time cruising, all without a watermaker. In many parts of the world, especially in the tropics, the 10 liter jugs can be delivered down to your boat for a small fee. Even getting a load of 30 or so delivered to the boat is not a problem, let someone else lug the water for this senior sailor. Cost of a jug of water is perhaps $1.50 per jug, much cheaper than the watermaker and all that it takes to maintain it.
Paul Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15   #34

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 11.50m

We are currently in the Sea of Cortez and carry 400 litres of water. We installed a water maker 3 years ago and I believe it is a critical piece of equipment in this environment. We are often asked for water by other boats and kayakers in particular when at anchor. It will be the last piece of equipment that we DON"T use if we run out of power.

We have previously sailed in Indonesia for about 5 years, and finding potable water in most anchorages/ports there, is generally not possible other than at a store or road side stand, where it is sold by the bottle (diesel and gasoline is also often available in these places). Buying bottled water works, and filling the tanks using jerry cans for washing, showers etc also works, but it is a lot of trouble and takes a lot of time. At the same time, using a water maker in a busy port is not advisable given the significant levels of oil based pollution, but time in these locations is usually minimal given the beauty and serenity of out of port anchorages.
Marathon1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28   #35

I lived on my boat for 6 years. Sailed from Buffalo,NY to Brisbane, Australia and would never go without a water maker. Bigger the better as you run it when motor is running. Water taste great and no worries when in Pacific ports where questionable water is the norm.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35   #36

Why would they spend a few thousand on a machine that is rarely used and requires regular maintenance?

I would think outfits like The Moorings and Sunsail would install watermakers on most of their fleet, at least the big boats, for one reason: minimizing docking damage. The ONLY reason I ever dock a boat in my (admittedly limited) cruising experience in the BVIs is to get water. The fuel onboard could last for 3x my cruise, I can get groceries and booze using the dinghy, and for inexperienced captains like me, the "dock rash" chances are high. And the folks I usually take don't follow my entreaties to limit water use. Maybe I should be more of a hard-a**......... ;o)
mjgriffin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40   #37

Boat: Boatless at the moment

I'm always happy when I anchor in a, for example, Spanish ria and there are only other Europeans anchored without all the noise malers like airco's, generators, watermakers etc. The beautiful sound of silence. ...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:02   #38

You can hear someone else’s watermaker running?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:10   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lot of boats are used where water is available. No need for the maintenance and expense of a water maker. But long distance cruising they are very very nice to have. Ferrying water to the boat in jugs is a PITA. Unknown sources of water are problematic for quality. Water is not readily available in a lot of places. 250 gallons of water weighs about a ton. A watermaker and 50 gallon tank weighs much less.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:16   #40

Boat: 2011 FP Orana 44 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I imagine there are some that have to be set up on deck and can be quite noisy with compressors thumping away. But most are pretty quiet even when observing from the same vessel. I can hear mine but it's not even remotely annoying.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Yes you can, never cleaned your drive way with a high pressure cleaner? But many use a Honda gen on deck to power their noice maker.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:31   #42

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
I'm always happy when I anchor in a, for example, Spanish ria and there are only other Europeans anchored without all the noise malers like airco's, generators, watermakers etc. The beautiful sound of silence. ...
Better to avoid boats with electric water pumps too, they make a sound. Also remove your engines, no-one want to hear that. Use a composting toilet, as I can hear the strokes of you flushing your manual Jabsco.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37   #43

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t currently have a WM, but may install one at some point in the future. I think they are darn useful tools. The thing is, I haven’t found a need for one — yet.

We carry 200 gallons of water. We use ~1 gallon per person per day (so 2 gallons/day) for normal cruising. This gives us ~100 days. I have never yet run out of water. Even though we tend to spend most of our time off the dock, we’ve never yet exceeded 100 days straight. Something else draws us back to shore; usually food or booze, sometimes fuel, occasionally to meet friends. Never needed to go in just for water … so far.

(Last season a friend gave us a some of their water after we had been anchored out going on two months. Turns out we didn’t need it, but it was sure nice to have.)

So far, I’ve cruised in an area where water is accessible and “free” at the dock. If this were not the case then a WM would move way up the priority list. Still, I like the idea of being completely independent. So a WM is a possibility in the future. It’s just not a high priority for me so far.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Better to avoid boats with electric water pumps too, they make a sound. Also remove your engines, no-one want to hear that. Use a composting toilet, as I can hear the strokes of you flushing your manual Jabsco.
All good ideas, thanks
Old 11-01-2019, 11:48   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike.

We are close to you in tankage and usage. I got badly tempted to get a WM this year. In the yard at Grenada I pumped out our tanks and refilled with “fresh” water. It hasent killed us yet but it has a lot of fine sediment and we got some growth we had to kill with bleach. Blocks up the filter after a bit.

Now I’ve got to find a way to purge the tanks. Not easy the way they are constructed. Piss!

We do have a hand operated WM, just in case.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker