Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 14:12   #16

Re: Anyone use a Wine Cabinet as their fridge?

I think the notion that you can see what's inside would work against you over time. The untidy clutter of fitting everything in would always be on display. Some people wouldn't care, but it would bother me.

The bigger issue as has been discussed is that you would need to push the compressor to it's maximum limit to reach a temperature at the threshold of it's abilities. It would be likely to fail way before it's expected lifetime.

Whatever you end up going with, I would suggest using a low amp fan like a computer fan to circulate air behind the unit to help the compressor work more efficiently. Many people wire them to the compressor so they only run when the compressor is on. That and additional insulation on the other 4 sides will help it be a low amp eating beast.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:24   #17

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Whatever you end up going with, I would suggest using a low amp fan like a computer fan to circulate air behind the unit to help the compressor work more efficiently. Many people wire them to the compressor so they only run when the compressor is on. That and additional insulation on the other 4 sides will help it be a low amp eating beast.
Computer fans have to be one of the least recognized benefits ever to come from the world of computing! lol
I've seen them installed on PaintBall Masks to reduce fogging, lots of non-computer cooling/air circulation applications... I have them planned for use when I install my electric motor and all the batteries for it
Old 09-05-2017, 14:31   #18

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

What about one of those little dorm fridges on a small inverter. They are small and around for under $100. plus a $25 inverter. I don't know what their draw is, so you'd need to know that and keep an eye on your batteries.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLizzard View Post
What about one of those little dorm fridges on a small inverter. They are small and around for under $100. plus a $25 inverter. I don't know what their draw is, so you'd need to know that and keep an eye on your batteries.
I've seen pics of people using them in their boats.
I'm not looking for volume here... so the smaller interior and exterior of a small wine cabinet was enticing!
Old 09-05-2017, 22:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
Computer fans have to be one of the least recognized benefits ever to come from the world of computing! lol
I've seen them installed on PaintBall Masks to reduce fogging, lots of non-computer cooling/air circulation applications... I have them planned for use when I install my electric motor and all the batteries for it
Many of these fans get noisey after a period of time. The decal is removed and pry out the dust plug and re-lubricate. So easy access is important.

The fridge in your original post ? Nothing I'd want. The glass wouldn't last a month if that. However this unit may be exactly what you require.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 22:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Many of these fans get noisey after a period of time. .
You must have a sweet boat if you can hear a computer fan running!

The way I've seen it rigged is an intake vent to the coils behind the fridge and then the fan blowing out a separate vent.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 00:46   #22

Also may help if you hit the doldrums. Or a gib fan !!

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07   #23

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

No but I use a standard domestic "narrow" fridge with a freezer compartment from LG. It runs off mains so We get it cold on shore power, switch on the inverter and motor sail. I have done a 80nm journey from France to the UK with no fridge power but I did have two large lumps of meat which were frozen, acted like an ice-box. When I was fitting out I talked to some canal narrow boat owners and they all seem to have gone down the domestic/inverter route. The only difference is mine has a 1" drop down rod on the top & door to keep it held closed when we are chucked about.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14   #24

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I have a wine fridge behind my desk at work. It's a compressor type Danby. At max cold it keeps right around 38 degrees. This fridge used to travel around the country in a trade show display, we always had trouble with it in that use, mainly because it took to long to get to temp particularly on a hot Florida day. It did improve when we added a couple fans to the cabinet it was in, but still, I would think on a boat that sees large temp swings not the best thing.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21   #25

Boat: Cherubini 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLizzard View Post

I had the same thought and I am making it work after some trial and error. The real expert on this is 'sailorchic' but here is a link to the discussion that I started on dorm fridge = inverter.

Bottom line: It works, but you must be conscious of 1)the consumption rate of the fridge. 2) the amp hr storage capacity you have and 3) the recharging capabilities of your charging source.

My top take aways; the energy star fridge is worth the extra $50.00; you get ice cream and the power draw is really low.
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:40   #26

Why not get a dorm refrig; cost about $100
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09   #27

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Why not get a Whynter 12v portable fridge/freezer? Not much more money and portable. Plus it is actually made to do what your asking of it instead of a wine cooler.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:13   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
No but I use a standard domestic "narrow" fridge with a freezer compartment from LG. It runs off mains so We get it cold on shore power, switch on the inverter and motor sail. I have done a 80nm journey from France to the UK with no fridge power but I did have two large lumps of meat which were frozen, acted like an ice-box. When I was fitting out I talked to some canal narrow boat owners and they all seem to have gone down the domestic/inverter route. The only difference is mine has a 1" drop down rod on the top & door to keep it held closed when we are chucked about.
Thanks! I'll take a look around here in the States to see what's available
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Why not get a Whynter 12v portable fridge/freezer? Not much more money and portable. Plus it is actually made to do what your asking of it instead of a wine cooler.
I'll look into that.. .haven't heard of that brand
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockgoody View Post
Why not get a dorm refrig; cost about $100
Already thought about that and have seen pics on people's blogs where they used them.
We used similar sized fridges in the medical lab.
I was just wanting something smaller... again... based upon my lifestyle, I don't require a large fridge.
It wouldn't be some permanent installation that would mean reconstruction of the boat... so if I sell it down the way, it shouldn't be a minus on my end

Tags
cabin