Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2014, 20:43   #1

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
anyone have experience using the easygreen sprouter?

It supposedly mists with highly oxygenated water. And is fully automatic. Thanks Joe
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 03:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: anyone have experience using the easygreen sprouter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
It supposedly mists with highly oxygenated water. And is fully automatic. Thanks Joe
No experience with that but I use the method described in the thread below with great success. Why spend any more money?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ide-75642.html
Old 31-01-2014, 05:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post

No experience with that but I use the method described in the thread below with great success. Why spend any more money?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ide-75642.html
Thanks for the reply. I live in Florida and it's almost impossible to grow sprouts in the summer I've tried everything. The main thing you want to do is rinse them often and make sure they get a lot of air. I forgot to mention EasyGreen sprouters mist is supposed to have a cooling effect. Also I'm not always on my boat to rinse them. I really like the set it and forget it idea
Old 31-01-2014, 05:44   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I vote for the mayonese jar with holes in the lid.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 05:54   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I started with basic jar with holes punched in the lid. Worked fine, but I bought these stackable trays a couple of years ago, and have been using it ever since. Love it. Easy, and produces a constant flow of sprouts.

Victorio 4 Tray Sprouter - Veseys

Old 31-01-2014, 06:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I live in Florida and it's almost impossible to grow sprouts in the summer I've tried everything. The main thing you want to do is rinse them often and make sure they get a lot of air. I forgot to mention EasyGreen sprouters mist is supposed to have a cooling effect. Also I'm not always on my boat to rinse them. I really like the set it and forget it idea
I'm also in a hot climate (Greece) and find that during the summer I have to rinse the beans three or sometimes four times a day to stop them drying out. The advantage is that they are ready to use in about 4 days. But you do have to be on board to look after them!
Old 31-01-2014, 08:28   #7

Hmm... Sounds a bit off to me. I wanted to go to the easygreen website, but decided not to when my browser warned me that it was not secure. So I looked around and found this...

"The EasyGreen Sprouter uses a patented technology where mist and oxygen are applied simultaneously to the seeds..."

"Mist and oxygen simultaneously"? Well, since there is oxygen in the air, the seeds are ALWAYS being supplied with oxygen. Hence, all they have to do is add some mist and they can make this rather meaningless claim. Or is there an oxygen tank connected to this thing? I don't think so. Hardly sounds like something you would need to patent.

And they say "highly oxygenated water"!?! You are allowed only one oxygen atom for every two hydrogen atoms in water. No more. And the very act of misting "oxygenates" the water. That is, mixes it with air and therefore carries along extra oxygen with it. Hence, you are ALWAYS using "highly oxygenated water" when you mist something.

I'm not saying this is a scam, but it certainly has a few of the red flags that go along with scams. Using vague, but very scientific-sounding phrases to describe very ordinary things. Claiming patents, but saying nothing detailed about how the device works. And, of course, charging a lot of money for something that sounds like nothing more than a mister on a timer.

Your choice, of course, but personally I would pass.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 08:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Hmm... Sounds a bit off to me. I wanted to go to the easygreen website, but decided not to when my browser warned me that it was not secure. So I looked around and found this...

"The EasyGreen Sprouter uses a patented technology where mist and oxygen are applied simultaneously to the seeds..."

"Mist and oxygen simultaneously"? Well, since there is oxygen in the air, the seeds are ALWAYS being supplied with oxygen. Hence, all they have to do is add some mist and they can make this rather meaningless claim. Or is there an oxygen tank connected to this thing? I don't think so. Hardly sounds like something you would need to patent.

And they say "highly oxygenated water"!?! You are allowed only one oxygen atom for every two hydrogen atoms in water. No more. And the very act of misting "oxygenates" the water. That is, mixes it with air and therefore carries along extra oxygen with it. Hence, you are ALWAYS using "highly oxygenated water" when you mist something.

I'm not saying this is a scam, but it certainly has a few of the red flags that go along with scams. Using vague, but very scientific-sounding phrases to describe very ordinary things. Claiming patents, but saying nothing detailed about how the device works. And, of course, charging a lot of money for something that sounds like nothing more than a mister on a timer.

Your choice, of course, but personally I would pass.
I think your spot on with your analysis. the fact that it's such a fine mist allows it to be more oxygenated. Overpriced absolutely but if it works as advertised and I grow broccoli sprouts it should pay for itself. I've used jars I've used sprouting trays I've used paper towels in trays. I'm really looking for something that can work un- attended. Hopefully someone with personal experience will post. Thanks everyone for all the info.
Old 01-02-2014, 14:10   #9
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We can't comment from any experience with the EasyGreen unit/system, altho we agree with denverdOn's remarks. Sprouting is not brain surgery!

FWIW, we use the Easy Sprout system which offers a number of great features very well suited to cruising, including...
  • often no (and always less) rinsing; this is particularly good for life underway or on anchor when water can be a premium commodity
  • air circulation is by natural convection
  • multiple containers allow multiple varieties of sprouts in both preparation and refrigeration
We love our sprouts!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AlfSprouts.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	75107

Very reasonably priced too. Check them out at...

Easy Sprouter Set, Floating Impressions
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 18:35   #10

Fee fi fo fum do I smell a salesperson?
Old 01-02-2014, 18:59   #11
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Fee fi fo fum do I smell a salesperson?
Guilty!

...altho, to be fair, we were not trying to be sneaky and we did say FWIW...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

Guilty!

...altho, to be fair, we were not trying to be sneaky and we did say FWIW...
Thanks for coming clean. for what it's worth is not a disclaimer. All I ask is if you have a product to sell identify yourself as such. But thanks again for your honesty