Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26   #121

Re: Any Preppers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
If the poles reverse?? Wouldn't the electro pulses to the heart, and even our synaptic thoughts justcease?
Best advice is get to the store now and get a roll of aluminum foil, you need to make a cone shaped hat for each family member, 18" high as that would be the quarter wave length of the operating frequency of your snapse.

If you have a pacemaker, better wrap you body fromyour neck to your waist.

You'll need to wear these articles over the next 72 hours beginning midnight EST for the solar flare predicted.

PS, don't forget your pets!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:28   #122

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post

If the poles reverse?? Wouldn't the electro pulses to the heart, and even our synaptic thoughts justcease?
Good thinking! But know one really knows as it has never happened in recorded history...though there seems to be evidence that it has happened before. I have read a lot of articles on this and there are sooooooo many theories working out there. The only thing that I have seen that is 'concrete' is that the solar storms are weakening the magnetosphere (and making the northern lights looking really pretty). From there......just a lot of 'theory' going on......from what I have seen.

I am NOT a genius, but it would appear to me that the Hadron Collider may be trying to study something along this line. That seems like a really large expense and is probably designed to get large results.

I think as far as sailors go.....we will probably would have to start navigating with a 'Magnetic South'.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29   #123

Gelfling, that's funny, China would be financing a war against themselves!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Gelfling, that's funny, China would be financing a war against themselves!
Or...better yet.....their enemies in the South China Sea. They are not big fans of either the Philippians or Vietnam. And with only one aircraft carrier...they know their navy is week.

China is well protected against a domestic invasion (defense) but their mobility is limited and thus lack an offensive force. America has that.....and flaunts it.

Seems like a good business move to me! Every investment is made for the sake of a return.........this philosophy isn't limited to Capitalism.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Hmmmm, pretty OT by now, LOL, but expected that too, can you sink a water tight container with your stuff to be retrieved later? Maybe a hard plastic type and anchor it down...? Make sure zombies would not trip over it....
Old idea. PVC pipe.

BTW I believe that the Mormon's require a years supply as an article of faith.

Also, elsewhere I have seen some people wig out when they say what FEMA recommends as "normal" stock.

Prepping for an eventuality, not the end of the world but "stuff happens," is simple common sense.

Those living in a city should be aware of how interdependent the systems are. A city is nothing more than a really huge, really complicated boat with tons and tons of integration. And nothing ever goes really wrong with that, right?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55   #126

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Or make yourself a container like this:

2-cm MG C/30 in Unterseebootslafette | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

recovered from a U-boat sunk in 1940.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:10   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
Makes sense. In an era of downsizing, why would the US establish NEW military operations in Australia? As the US is one of China's biggest investments these days....it may have been at China's discretion that the US has made such a move.....it could be said it is being done with the Chinese money....right?
I mentioned this sometime ago. China may come in and take the minerals they need. Why worry about 3 dozen aussies?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21   #128
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
I mentioned this sometime ago. China may come in and take the minerals they need. Why worry about 3 dozen aussies?

That didn't work out too well for the Japanese when they tried it. Never underestimate the Diggers and their nuclear armed buddies, the USA.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That didn't work out too well for the Japanese when they tried it. Never underestimate the Diggers and their nuclear armed buddies, the USA.
I don't mate.
Just speculating on a possible world event...
However, my grandpa (95 not out) getting too old to do it again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC250683.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	38431  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15   #130
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
China is well protected against a domestic invasion (defense) but their mobility is limited and thus lack an offensive force. America has that.....and flaunts it.
My take is that China will create a carrier fleet (or 2), but apart from sending around the world on courtesy visits / for willy waving (as others do) main purpose being to help chase the US influence out of the region - even if the US can still have it's navy wandering around. and also to prevent India getting too many ideas. But I suspect that the Chinese are too smart to overspend on military toys vs the benefit to own economy - as the Soviets did. and the US is now doing.

I doubt that the Chinese are seeking territorial expansion, simply too much of a PITA - but regional economic domination makes sense and plusses as well as minuses to the countries concerned (think US and UK / Central America). World domination comes from economic power - don't need boots on the ground, as the US discovered - just an ability to "defend" it's interests / remind da locals who is boss.

Whether true or not, caught a snippet on the news recently that China is growing at a rate that adds the equivalent economy the size of Greece every 11 1/2 weeks! (leaving aside that no one wants the actual Greek economy - even the Greeks!).....and they are probably less than halfway to where there economy will be! (sooner rather than later!) - and then of course they get the age old problem of sustaining it all, one important thing they have recognised is that multiculturalism within own borders is not sustainable - hence they are rather active on what would be called "ethnic cleansing" if undertaken anywhere else. Something to bear in mind is that for the Chinese, Westerners are lower than dog sh#t on the Chinese evolutionary scale - that may change over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My take is that China will create a carrier fleet (or 2), but apart from sending around the world on courtesy visits / for willy waving (as others do) main purpose being to help chase the US influence out of the region - even if the US can still have it's navy wandering around. and also to prevent India getting too many ideas. But I suspect that the Chinese are too smart to overspend on military toys vs the benefit to own economy - as the Soviets did. and the US is now doing.

I doubt that the Chinese are seeking territorial expansion, simply too much of a PITA - but regional economic domination makes sense and plusses as well as minuses to the countries concerned (think US and UK / Central America). World domination comes from economic power - don't need boots on the ground, as the US discovered - just an ability to "defend" it's interests / remind da locals who is boss.

Whether true or not, caught a snippet on the news recently that China is growing at a rate that adds the equivalent economy the size of Greece every 11 1/2 weeks! (leaving aside that no one wants the actual Greek economy - even the Greeks!).....and they are probably less than halfway to where there economy will be! (sooner rather than later!) - and then of course they get the age old problem of sustaining it all, one important thing they have recognised is that multiculturalism within own borders is not sustainable - hence they are rather active on what would be called "ethnic cleansing" if undertaken anywhere else. Something to bear in mind is that for the Chinese, Westerners are lower than dog sh#t on the Chinese evolutionary scale - that may change over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.
DOJ....it would be easy to think this. But have you ever been to China? I went there to teach English a couple years ago and learned a lot. One...they don't want to learn 'English'. The find that the English have very little to learn in the world economy. They want to learn AMERICAN. Yeah...there is a difference. They appreciate what the 'free market' can produce, but they tend to keep very tight regulations over it so that the inherent greed in the system is minimalized. They are tired of being 'third world' and if you go to any of their cities with a poputlation of 1mil+ (There are over 100 of them) and their infrastructure makes American cities look 3rd world.

Having been there...I can say they love Americans. If anything....to get back on topic.....it seems to me that an American alliance with a superpower like China will change the world a lot.....and most of it will be for the good. I say 'most' because there is that '1%' that wont agree with it....for sure.

I think it will be interesting to watch in the years to come!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:06   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Unless it has something to do with cruising we should steer away from geopolitics and stay on the <ahem> serious topic of preppers and the impact of zombies on the cruising lifestyle.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:12   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Or make yourself a container like this:

2-cm MG C/30 in Unterseebootslafette | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

recovered from a U-boat sunk in 1940.
Ok On topic.
So Astrid do you think its possible to hold out in Iceland in a yacht?
Seems to me a good place - the natives probably won't eat me, they already told the banks where to go...Probably too cold for Zombies. DO they have guns?
what else?

edit: I was thinking the channel isles - but they already acquiesced to the USA banking regulations...
Old 07-03-2012, 13:03   #134

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
..Probably too cold for Zombies. .
While zombies do use torpor in colder climates, they never completely stop. It may take it a month to get aboard.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 07-03-2012, 13:21   #135

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
While zombies do use torpor in colder climates, they never completely stop. It may take it a month to get aboard.
Hahahahaaa! Cracked me up!
Closed Thread