Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53   #76

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Any Preppers ?

I saw this post start and immediately thought "Wow, Waveracker is really board!" I got on again today and noticed the thread really took off, so I read. I have to say, I thought the Society of Sailors were a lot more 'open minded'. Of course, all the responses that were 'in just' were probably 'just that'.

IMO....the end of the Mayan calendar would represent the end of time, not the end of the world. This is possible, as man did create time.

As far as nothing 'physically' happening, well it already has. The USD is loosing its strength in the world market, the Chinese economy is rapidly approaching the point where it will be the largest in the world. The height of the solar storms will be at its peak at the end of 2012 (this has all kinds of bad effect on Mother Earth) so I don't see it completely out of the possibility that the poles will reverse because the magnetosphere gets that unstable, maybe not probably.... definitely possible and all of these things will 'change the world', for anything to 'change', something has to end so another can begin.

And as far as from a prophetic stand point, we are really close to completing the 'hive mind' as we are in a really big hurry to get internet to locations where it is lacking, and those places are really really few. Maybe that is our change is that at this point we will ALL be apart of the 'hive mind'.

So, "Once you rule out all that is impossible, then no matter how improbable, what you are left with is the Truth" - Spock.

As far as any of you that have not had to encounter a Zombie. I need to know where you are at so I can get there ASAP! There are zombies all over the place where I am at! It is really sad to see so many people dead inside.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:59   #77

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Sorry....I got off topic. I am a 'prepper', I am 'prepping' for better things to come!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18   #78

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
When the Zombies come remember the two most important rules to survive Zombieland cardio and double tap.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18   #79

Boat: Tartan TOCK 40

I’m personally more worried about economic collapse than any other catastrophe. Seems like a good time to go sailing.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27   #80

Boat: Orca 38

Had to leave the boat and get on a ferry to downtown Seattle today. I hope to dodge the Zombie tribe and return to my pod safely so that I can continue to spend all my money and time obsessing about her and not end of time scenarios.

Escape pod? Hell, she's my haven, refuge, home, transportation, provider of joy, devils workshop avoider........ She's my escape pod from the zombie mob already and I didn't even realize it.

Yay, more ammunition to convince bookkeeping that the money is indeed well spent.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39   #81

Thanks for the important info.
I never knew zombies walked along the bottom and up the anchor chain.
I recently read "Warm Bodies". Very insightful first person account from a real zombie.
new release:
Amazon.com: Warm Bodies: A Novel (9781439192313): Isaac Marion: Books
Old 06-03-2012, 07:41   #82

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
LOL as long as you have enough guns and ammunition.

I suspect preppers are not very community minded today never mind tomorrow.

Don't we all need to be even more community minded , if we wish to survive cataclysmic situations?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45   #83

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53   #84

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
People get cabin fever up in Alaska this time of year.
What is the sentiment of the locals in Alaska?
Are they generally like cruisers - prepping is de rigueur?
In areas where one is living on the edge of civilization, one tends to be a bit more prepared for emergencies and being cut off from supplies for periods of time. It only makes sense to stock up on essentials.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55   #85

Yes Gelfling, not much to do here until warmer weather...

Seeing the Today show about prepping was the inspiration for the question. I'm surprised at some of the responses, zombie paranoia, but RLM (I think that's right) who "teaches" survival made a good point about how far are you willing to go to protect or promote the well being of your family, which I guess turns everyone into the zomie at some point, of sorts.

Living where I do I own various boomsticks. I have not been hunting for about 30 years and never killed anything just for the sake of shooting it. The reason I have them is that Bubba, who thinks he will have an opportunity to play Rambo, has such weapons. The Bubbas in my area (as well as a few gang types) act as if they just can't wait for the opportunity to live that life portrayed in the movies. There are some real nuts out there.

Making the decission as to how far one might go to protect themselves or their family might be something some need to think about, I don't really. The real problem is deciding that your actions are the absolute last resort, the situation dictates and justifies the use of a weapon. Then there is the issue of living with your decission afterwards.

My grandfather was a minister in the depression. They didn't have much and while as bad as things got, crime was rather low compared to today, but if they had something they shared. I was told of stories of the hobo's who would mark the house to signal others that a handout could be had. I'm sure I would be the same way, so long as the need was genuine.

If there were an epidemic that might be a good reason to head out for fresh air, some killer bug might motivate me to move out.

I wonder too if the ICW would get crowded, I can see the northeatern areas getting to be a cluster mess. Kinda like a clogged interstate. Wonder if you have have a priate mentality set in with landlubber gangs.

Anyway, I guess I will admit it, the real reason the thought of cruising came back to me at my age is largely due to the political climate in my area, people are driving me nuts here! I want my boat finished and ready to go by this November. If our representatives will be taking the attitude of "my way or the highway" I'm seriously thinking of taking the highway...or waterway! (notice how I made that admission without mentioning any political views....LOL) And I don't mean to get politics in this thread, but it seems to be an issue for many who are checking out and going to a more secluded lifestyle. Not far from me there is a compound being built by prepper/survivalists who are accepting "applications" for "like minded individuals".
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Evolution is a very slow process for a species whose generations span about 20 years. The human being of today is the same as the human being of 3000 years ago. We have different toys and tools and a much deeper pool of knowledge to draw from but we are the same animal. Sticking our heads in the sand and waiting for some disaster to "cleanse" the species is a method of looking past the problems of our lives that has never been successful but seems to continue to arise in the human psyche. There's never been so many of us on the planet and yet we get along fairly well considering our history.

It seems to me that rather then preparing to survive a coming cataclysm we are better off working on the means to avert it.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:58   #87

BTW, an asteroid was just discovered that is predicted to pass between our orbiting artificial satellites and the Earth... Better get the bomb shelter cleaned up....

Old 06-03-2012, 09:34   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
In areas where one is living on the edge of civilization, one tends to be a bit more prepared for emergencies and being cut off from supplies for periods of time. It only makes sense to stock up on essentials.
that's what I thought - makes sense.
so if there is an outbreak of zombieitis in your town and Bolto can't get thru with the antidote, would you fly away, or sail away?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40   #89

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Sail away. If I flew, i might get somewhere faster, but 800 miles or so later and I am out of aviation spirit. Sailing I will run out of provisions before I run out of wind.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04   #90

Wouldn't it be great if the entire world population were of the same Religion and the same Political system.
Closed Thread