Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17   #196
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Any Preppers ?

Dave, maybe you should consider going boating now!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32   #197

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In the EU zombies are now seen as potential distressed ethnic groups, following a successful appeal by a zombie support group to the European Court of Zombie rights ( known as the EcB) . Public policy is now to integrate zombies into mainstream life, this however is proving very costly, with significant budget impacts on social Heath systems ( they are in very bad shape medically).The policy to integrate them into mainstream schools has also proven problematic ( preventing them eating children etc) but efforts are on going and a EU wide funded school integration project is getting under way.

A EU Commission spokesman . Klaus von der Splitsenpants stated recently "the Commissions policy is to reverse the age old perception of this group and to integrate them fully into the social structure of the EU" the spokesman pointed out that in excess of 50 billion euros has been set aside for various zombie institutions across the Union. The term Zombie is regarded as pejorative, to be replaced with people afflicted by Diminished Energy Activation Disorder. (DEAD)

Predictably, there have been concerns expressed in Germany about such moves, with several members of the Bundestag commenting that disproportionate support is going to "med zombies" Seemingly more have congregated in warmer southern EU countries . In fact recently, in the newspaper "Bild" the headlines was ( translated) "German Zombies first, Med Zombies are a hopeless cause" The illegal immigration of north African Zombies was pointed out by several other members of the parliament , " the med countries are lazy , and they need to get these foreigners out of the EU" , and our german zombies are far more efficient at eating people")

The European council for zombie liberties, (EUROZOM) , fully EU funded, has begun an awareness campaign, designed to educate ordinary people to be sensitive to zombies, and to raise awareness of their cultural identity. EU directive 1785/45376654-345433/R-334331bis. has been enacted providing for various increased penalties for those engaged in violence against these afflicted with DEAD. The use of any firearms of course carries severe penalties with long custodial punishments being handed down to perpetrators. the EU wide arrest warrant has been extended by agreement to provide for arbitrary extradition of any person engaged in violence against DEAD people.

Several labour run councils in the UK have gone much further in asserting zombie rights, Lambeth borough council recently passed a law allowing zombies to feed on a proportion of human flesh since they have accepted that eating living flesh is a zombie cultural right. They have banned the term zombie from all their publications as it's a racist term . a spokeswomen stated " just because they're different and eat people doesn't mean they are not proper citizens entitled to express their culture , the sickly parlour of their skin or that fact that they are DEAD, doesn't mean they should be treated any differently then other groups"

In a related move Reuter news agency s is claiming it has received reports Turkey intends to restrict visas for Zombies to 15 minutes( seemingly the time to walk up the jetway) the EU has lodged a formal complaint.

Unrelated, today Italy announced a tax on "prepers" , every food item not consumed within one week will be subject to tax of 220% of its value. No word as to enforcement. The government has admitted it has no idea where these food stores are, but said that hard times needed tough decisions.

Dave
Funny! Thanks for the laugh.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20   #198
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Funny! Thanks for the laugh.
+1

The rumour I heard (you heard it here first ) is that following the recent "Work makes you free" slave labour controversy that TESCO is now considering hiring Zombies as part of a new Govt "Zombies to work" scheme.

Apparently short sighted stupidity is still all the rage in the UK.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08   #199

Boat: O'Day 28

Always playing catch up! The US has had all govt posts run by zombies since the end of the war to end all wars. It's unclear to me whether govt workers are zombies when hired or whether they turn into zombies with that first big sweet check and insurance.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28   #200
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post

I had no idea the conversation about prepping would turn into a zombie thread....Obviously fantasy prevails !

I think that's the tongue-in-cheek funny part, preppers are clearly all living a fantasy. Hence the popular meme of mocking them with concerns of a zombie apocalypse, which is about as likely as most of the scenarios "preppers" come up with to worry themselves about. Plus we all know that that's what they are really afraid of anyway, they just won't admit it. Children jumping at shadows. Perhaps in other countries there are more sensible breeds of "preppers", but 95% of the ones here are complete kooks. And it really is hilarious, once you get past the sad part of these people focusing all their energy and their whole lives on fear of whatever. "Quick Ma, to the bunker!" LOL!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I think that's the tongue-in-cheek funny part, preppers are clearly all living a fantasy. Hence the popular meme of mocking them with concerns of a zombie apocalypse, which is about as likely as most of the scenarios "preppers" come up with to worry themselves about. Plus we all know that that's what they are really afraid of anyway, they just won't admit it. Children jumping at shadows. Perhaps in other countries there are more sensible breeds of "preppers", but 95% of the ones here are complete kooks. And it really is hilarious, once you get past the sad part of these people focusing all their energy and their whole lives on fear of whatever. "Quick Ma, to the bunker!" LOL!!
People are having a bit of fun - at least it didn't degrade into a typical gun thread where the insults start flying after 24 hours , and it gets shut down.
Oh wait you did - and to 2 mods....
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09   #202

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I find it to be sad, more than funny. I feel bad for the families of these whackos. The wives and children that have to tolerate it, or endure the shame from neighbors, friends and family.

The worst are the merchants who prey on these people. I can't fault someone for having a business and plying their trade, but some of these folks profess and fuel the panic and unease, seemingly convinced the end is nigh and you better spend all your money with me to help you get ready. Preying on someone's fears, exacerbating them and them taking their money to help them feel better....that's just low. As low as a common thief in my book.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26   #203
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

We should be careful who we call wackos. There's a signifcant part of the worlds population that think people who sail off in little boats are just as wacko. Especially the ones who have to be rescued from their own crazyness.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42   #204
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
People are having a bit of fun - at least it didn't degrade into a typical gun thread where the insults start flying after 24 hours , and it gets shut down.
Oh wait you did - and to 2 mods....

Don't know how you got an insult out of that, I wasn't speaking about anyone here clearly. The OP started this thread with a reference to an American TV show about doomsday preppers in the US. Have you seen any of these people? They are nuts. Some of the things they are concerned with are pretty kooky. That's why this thread went off the rails into comedy land so quickly, it's a popular topic right now, and many find it strange. I for one can't imagine spending that much time and energy on the concern that the poles will reverse and gravity will suddenly cease to exist!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:55   #205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I hang on the web with some pretty serious preppers.

NONE of them worry about the earths poles, zombie attacks, or the other non-sense that is apparently in vogue on TV. Don't know to much, don't have TV.

They DO feel that our culture, our global economy is pretty shaky and could be severely disrupted with little to no warning.

There are a host of threats that are within reason, maybe not probable, but not impossible.

It hurts no one to be prepared for self-rescue. It is the prudent thing really. No?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55   #206
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I find it to be sad, more than funny. I feel bad for the families of these whackos. The wives and children that have to tolerate it, or endure the shame from neighbors, friends and family.

The worst are the merchants who prey on these people. I can't fault someone for having a business and plying their trade, but some of these folks profess and fuel the panic and unease, seemingly convinced the end is nigh and you better spend all your money with me to help you get ready. Preying on someone's fears, exacerbating them and them taking their money to help them feel better....that's just low. As low as a common thief in my book.
Whole cultures and societies have been based on the same concepts - many still are........hopefully the 21st Century will cure that once and for all ......if MM (up ) GW doesn't get us all first .
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59   #207
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T

I haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this has already been covered (there are 14 pages of previous posts!), but I think there is a huge difference between people who think the world is going to end because the Mayans said so (whackos!) and people who just want to be prepared for a natural disaster or other unforeseen event (like a terrorist attack here in the DC area). If you think about it, we are all so dependent on on a very fragile network that provides us with our food, water, gasoline, electricity, sanitation, etc. And it's not entirely impossible for the USA to suffer a real, Greece-like breakdown of basic social services because of our government's debt. Think about all of the people who earn their living (or get their sustenance) from the government. Government employees, government contractors - who are private sector companies but earn their living from government contracts (there are more of them than you probably think!), retirees, welfare recipients, veterans, military, etc. That's about 50% of all Americans now. Think about where all of that money comes from to pay all of those people. 40% of that money is either borrowed or completely made up out of thin air by the government. One day, those paychecks may stop coming (or there may be a temporary disruption or partial default), and that could lead to a serious panic. Certainly, if every American can have enough supplies on hand so that they can remain calm, at home until things get sorted out, we'll all be better off. Look at the night before a snowstorm - the stores are mobbed with people buying milk, bread and toilet paper. It's crazy! And that's a predicted snowstorm, not something unexpected and serious! I'm no "prepper," but I can stay comfortable, warm, and well-fed at home for a week or two no problem, and I have a plan if my home gets destroyed by a tornado or if I have to evacuate for some reason. It's just good old fashioned common sense...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19   #208

Some people become obsessed with bunkers, some with gardening, others (worse) refitting yachts. But, we all act civilly together at Home Depot on Saturday mornings...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39   #209
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In the EU zombies are now seen as potential distressed ethnic groups, following a successful appeal by a zombie support group to the European Court of Zombie rights ( known as the EcB) . Public policy is now to integrate zombies into mainstream life, this however is proving very costly, with significant budget impacts on social Heath systems ( they are in very bad shape medically).The policy to integrate them into mainstream schools has also proven problematic ( preventing them eating children etc) but efforts are on going and a EU wide funded school integration project is getting under way.
Dave
Being a moderator, I knew, just knew that this thread would eventually degenerate into politics. Thanks for that, Dave. Bad Boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisferro View Post
I think there is a huge difference between people who think the world is going to end because the Mayans said so (whackos!) and people who just want to be prepared for a natural disaster or other unforeseen event (like a terrorist attack here in the DC area). If you think about it, we are all so dependent on on a very fragile network that provides us with our food, water, gasoline, electricity, sanitation, etc. ..................

One day, those paychecks may stop coming (or there may be a temporary disruption or partial default), and that could lead to a serious panic. Certainly, if every American can have enough supplies on hand so that they can remain calm, at home until things get sorted out, we'll all be better off. Look at the night before a snowstorm - the stores are mobbed with people buying milk, bread and toilet paper. It's crazy! And that's a predicted snowstorm, not something unexpected and serious! I'm no "prepper," but I can stay comfortable, warm, and well-fed at home for a week or two no problem, and I have a plan if my home gets destroyed by a tornado or if I have to evacuate for some reason. It's just good old fashioned common sense...
Exactly. Good post (except for the political bits: Naughty Boy: )
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54   #210

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I have covered all possibilities. I have instructed my undertaker (in a small community, we all know one), to say, just before he plants me, Maurice wanted you all to know that he never did anything that didn't seem like a good idea at the time..