Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51   #1

Any Chefs out there?

Well we are purchasing a boat that does not have an oven. I know that I can bake on a stove or BBQ in my iron skillet, but am I really gonna miss an oven. Should I just break down and purchase a new unit? If so which one is best for extensive usage? I do prepare everything from scratch, no processed foods here. Can you also give me tips on food processors, mixers and such? Solar ovens?
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:34   #2

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Any Chefs out there?

What size is your boat? Are you looking to live aboard, coastal cruise or weekend it? What areas are you going to be sailing in? This makes a big difference.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:03   #3

We are going to live aboard. No end destination. We will cruise along the east coast to Florida, later on to the Bahamas and Cuba, then we will evaluate where we'd like to go. We at looking at least for a year, longer if we get bit by the bug. She is a 1980 Morgan Pilothouse 33'.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Home - Cobb International

In the hotter months of the year I cook on a Cobb charcoal oven. With all the accessories I can prepare stir fries, curries, pizzas, casseroles, roasts and barbecues on board without heating the interior of the boat. Worth a look if you don't want the expense of fitting a new cooker.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:46   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have a fully functional force 10 stove of which i do no tuse the oven, but prefer to use stove top methods of baking cookies, small cakes and cornbread..
i havebeen practicing this since before leaving san diego in 2011, successfully , and cruising with this system for four years onmy own boat, one year on opb. works fine. considering ditching my force 10 for a mexistovetop and using the under rangetop space for a fridge or portabloe ice maker or some such miracle
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 13:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
considering ditching my force 10 for a mexistovetop and using the under rangetop space for a fridge or portabloe ice maker or some such miracle
That's not a bad idea, I'd probably like a front loading freezer

Old 04-07-2015, 13:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
That's not a bad idea, I'd probably like a front loading freezer

A top loading freezer will be much more efficient. We have one on our Catalina 42 (put in by the charter company in the nab table) and it keeps things nicely cold for our cruises (2-3 weeks at a time).
Old 04-07-2015, 13:17   #8

going for all top loadin food storage coldmaking items for max efficiency and stability underway.
Old 04-07-2015, 13:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
A top loading freezer will be much more efficient. We have one on our Catalina 42 (put in by the charter company in the nab table) and it keeps things nicely cold for our cruises (2-3 weeks at a time).

Probably, but I'd still want a gas stovetop and would not want to move it when accessing the freezer 😉

Old 04-07-2015, 13:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Probably, but I'd still want a gas stovetop and would not want to move it when accessing the freezer 😉

Putting a freezer under a heat source is not a wise idea.
Old 04-07-2015, 14:16   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

People vary a lot in how much they use their ovens when they have them. I use mine a fair bit. Also do some stove top baking (in skillets or pressure cooker with gasket removed).

If the ability to bake is important to you, (like a roast dinner, for instance), get a new stove with a big enough oven. Marine stoves are not the greatest, but I really like having my oven. As you see, others' mileage varies.

Zeehag, how do ye bake cookies stove top? I've never tried it.

Ann
Old 04-07-2015, 14:51   #12

mexistove is a gas stovetop, and the top loading freezers and ice makers and fridges are low enough in height there is no problem.
we talkin 12v here, mon, ye know, not the known by all tall top[ loading 120 v nonsense.
ann, everything i make on stove top is essentially handicakes or cookies. i us a heavy as possible on as low a flame aspossible with a glass top i can see thru , and when dry on top, i eat em. cool em first. works well. i have had chocolate cake cookies with and wiothout additives--raisins, cranberries, pnutbutter.. whatever, and blueberry muffin cookies--i call em handicakes, with cranberries vanilla and raisins, for watch on passages,..is perfect.... cornbread is good on stovetop....biscuits, dumplings onmy chicken en crema...lol wot an ethnic mixture... chata under cornbread, cornbread cookies isnt successful, but cornbread is ..makes a nice lil cake depending on whether in a saucepan or fry pan, per shape and depth.....must be heavy and well seasoned pan for non stick options
a lil extra butter for the cornbread isnt gonna hurt, either- or for blueberry muffincookies
Old 04-07-2015, 14:53   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

We got our new Force 10 stove/oven last season after being many years without one. I Love It! Fresh bread, roast chicken, baked pastas, cookies, fish ... yum.

It's certainly possible to get by without an oven. We did for years. But if you enjoy cooking, and are good at it, then I think an oven is a wonderful tool to have for long term cruising.
Old 04-07-2015, 15:06   #14

if you decide to cruise cooler climates for the rest of your cruising life, yes, by all means blow the dough on a righteous full stove with oven.
here in tropics, no freeking way am i liting a stove, much less an oven, even with air conditioning in summer.
latitude 20n seems to be cutoff for baking and enjoying it.
mebbe i might make something in winter, when humidity is lower, but in summer, no way. stove dont need no steenkeen oven here, it aint gonna be used.
summer in tropics is why the godesses made take out and cottage cheese n fruit and other peoples cooking. so, 6 months i cook and 6 months i do not--why have an oven..and i used to be most prolific in kitchen..and galleys.
i left san diego with a brnd new force 10 3 burner with intent to cook everything in an oven and yada yada yada..now-- hell no.

omg i lied. i just made delightful shrimp soup, aka caldo de camarones..takes all of 5 mins to cook shriimp, and about 30 mins on lowest setting to cook the veggies in the shrimp broth for soup.. add cooked n cleaned camarones after the cooking is done...heat tortillas on top of soup pot, in foil.
Old 04-07-2015, 18:59   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks, zeehag, I think I get it.

My dad used to make cornmeal pancakes, so of course, I do, too.

Tags
chef