Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-07-2015, 08:48   #16

Re: Any Chefs out there?

I've been kicking around the idea of a solar oven, no practical experience though. GoSun has a kickstarter campaign for one with a solar "battery" that allows you to bake at night with stored heat from the day.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ven-that-cooks

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44   #17

Tips and Tricks from The Boat Galley

Subscribe to the Boat Galley Newsletter written by Carolyn.
You will get a vast amount of information about cooking on board and many other tips about cruising on boats. One of the best sources of information that I have ever cone across.
Mike

Old 05-07-2015, 10:12   #18

I have been living aboard my 34' Irwin Citation for the last 3 years. We started with a Panasonic Convection/Micro combo but that failed within the first year (and it was way too much money to start with).So I switched to NuWave oven and Nuwave induction burner (2) and have never looked back. The oven is amazing and the burners only heat the area that is underneath the cooking vessel and goes 'cold' almost immediately after being turned off. The oven doubles as a dehydrator and can cook anything you want even if it is still frozen. Great appliances. You do need induction ready cookware but I had all-clad so that wasn't an issue for me. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:52   #19

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Thanks, zeehag, I think I get it.

My dad used to make cornmeal pancakes, so of course, I do, too.
Johnny cakes, mmmmmmm.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21   #20

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
Well we are purchasing a boat that does not have an oven. I know that I can bake on a stove or BBQ in my iron skillet, but am I really gonna miss an oven. Should I just break down and purchase a new unit? If so which one is best for extensive usage? I do prepare everything from scratch, no processed foods here. Can you also give me tips on food processors, mixers and such? Solar ovens?
Hi Greenbean,

We have the Force 10 three burner propane stove with oven/broiler. However, due to access constraints, the previous owners bought the 'European' sized version [19" is the largest tolerable dimension for items being installed in the galley-unless the mast is pulled; and they chose not to at the time...] I mention this because while it looks like we have an oven, in reality it is only 5" high inside the cooking area... which is more of a broiler dimension to us... [and we do love the Force 10 IR broiler for times when wx makes us think twice about BBQing...]

However, having owned Force 10 stoves on 3 separate boats over the years, I can say that they need more maintenance that I feel a stove should. For example, currently the oven and broiler thermocouples need to be replaced- the 4th time in the stove's 15 year lifespan... I haven't scheduled a day of my life to accomplish this task yet, so currently we only have a cook top... Historically, I have seen this pattern on my other [all different models] Force 10 stoves as well.

If we upgrade, we will go with Ocean Chef. [Don't look unless you want every other stove/oven from that point forward to look like a child's toy...]

With that said, we, too, may just go with an Omnia stove top oven- if we don't <gulp> buy an Ocean Chef [and install next time we pull the mast for maintenance...]

If you aren't already aware, Carolyn at The Boat Galley has hundreds of qualified answers to the questions you are asking...

Have fun planning the adjustments to your new home.

Cheers!

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:31   #21

So I can see that I have many options. Since we'll be heading toward a warmer climate I think that I will take my time since we will live aboard. I am going to create a succinct list of options that have been given and make a choice after a month or two. Thanks again everyone this is really much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2015, 14:11   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
Well we are purchasing a boat that does not have an oven. I know that I can bake on a stove or BBQ in my iron skillet, but am I really gonna miss an oven. Should I just break down and purchase a new unit? If so which one is best for extensive usage? I do prepare everything from scratch, no processed foods here. Can you also give me tips on food processors, mixers and such? Solar ovens?
Use an old cast iron Dutch oven.
Old 05-07-2015, 14:31   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Also see threads here about alternative cooking methods like the "Wonder Bag". We use one and like it because it heats up the boat a lot less and we can slow cook meals without worrying about the propane being on for a long time or going out (which always happens at a bad time)
Old 05-07-2015, 18:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Home - Cobb International

In the hotter months of the year I cook on a Cobb charcoal oven. With all the accessories I can prepare stir fries, curries, pizzas, casseroles, roasts and barbecues on board without heating the interior of the boat. Worth a look if you don't want the expense of fitting a new cooker.
Wow, neat product. I viewed the web-site, great information but no price??? Could not source the price from the web-site.
Old 05-07-2015, 19:49   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

It is a neat product. I've used one before.

Too bad they will probably go outta business because they keep how to buy one a secret. Nothing about our purchasing on any of their regional web sites (defeats the ultimate purpose of a web site). Listed, but currently unavailable on Amazon.

Good product, bad business strategy.
Old 05-07-2015, 20:25   #26

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
If we upgrade, we will go with Ocean Chef. [Don't look unless you want every other stove/oven from that point forward to look like a child's toy...]
That was close. Fortunately for my wallet, I do not have enough room for one. Whew! But what I would give for one of those.....
Old 05-07-2015, 20:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
It is a neat product. I've used one before.

Too bad they will probably go outta business because they keep how to buy one a secret. Nothing about our purchasing on any of their regional web sites (defeats the ultimate purpose of a web site). Listed, but currently unavailable on Amazon.

Good product, bad business strategy.
I would say no strategy at all.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:36   #28

I found them on eBay, new for $57

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Cobb GB

The Cobb is easily available from the UK, if you're in Europe they'll ship at a reasonable cost. I love it so much that we now have two for when entertaining! Check out the many pages on facebook for recipe ideas and examples of the versatility.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:03   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

International

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Also see threads here about alternative cooking methods like the "Wonder Bag". We use one and like it because it heats up the boat a lot less and we can slow cook meals without worrying about the propane being on for a long time or going out (which always happens at a bad time)
I also uee a Wonderbag. Very handy for long sails when dinner can be prepared early and left in the bag until wanted. In conjunction with the Cobb and my pressure cooker the oven is rarely used nowadays!

Tags
chef

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: