Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 09:17   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Another Use for the Pressure Cooker

A few years ago an entire cookbook ( a general cookbook, not a boating title) was recalled because it had a recipe for making flan by pressure-cooking a can of sweetened, condensed milk for one hour. THEY FORGOT TO TELL PEOPLE TO REMOVE THE LID FIRST. Anyway, it does make delicious caramel if you remove the lid, cover the can with foil, put it in the cooker with water up an inch or two and cook under pressure for 45 minutes to an hour.

It's a good idea to have entire cans of some one-dish food on hand, one can per person, for truly dirty weather. Good choices are beef stew, corned beef hash, or pork and beans. Remove labels, open cans, place in cooker with an inch or two of water, lock on lid and boil water long enough to heat can contents. No pressure necessary. Using oven mitts and providing a mitt to each crew member, eat right out of the can. Strapped in the galley all the cook has to do is hand out a wrapped can and a spoon. The new silicone mitts are a good choice and easy to wash, unlike cloth mitts that have to be laundered.
Old 30-01-2011, 09:21   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Good idea, although I would question the choice of some of those as being a little greasy for heavy weather. The two most recent times I've been seasick (it's a relatively rare event, thank goodness) have been after eating pork and beans and after eating greasy breakfast sausages.

The silicone glove and can idea is great, however.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 13:35   #3
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Yes, I've done in a few guests with pork chops but I guess it depends on the stomach because heavy meals seem to stay down best for me. Gravity maybe? Anyway, there are many good ready-to-eat soups now too that fit into the eat-out-of-can category.
Old 30-01-2011, 14:35   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i have been too busy to eat in dirty weather---- usually i wait it out and battle the gods--if i need energy i willeat something fingerfoodish--breakfastbars or something simple. sammich made by somoene else or premade and stashed.. mebbe saton, even, for flavor..pbj works for smashdiches...tuna, also... but light on the mayo...mush isnt easy to hold... remember i am wearing gloves and steering, as auto usually fails at the fun times..LOL...we see what pacific gives me-- we will be ready for everything, (crossing fingers)..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Yes, I've done in a few guests with pork chops but I guess it depends on the stomach because heavy meals seem to stay down best for me. Gravity maybe? Anyway, there are many good ready-to-eat soups now too that fit into the eat-out-of-can category.
Put porkchops in a small PC with an onion and an apple and they come out as light as chicken soup. The crew of the Rita T, the two of us, can eat whatever the cook, that's me, can produce. Last week I broke my record of having never missed a hot meal on a day at sea.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote