Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-12-2012, 18:56   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29C
Another pressure cooker question

The answer to this may be buried among other related posts, but I can't find it, so....

What type stove simply won't put out enough heat to properly operate a 4qt. SS pressure cooker? I know there are variables, not looking for a consensus, just opinions. thx

Old 02-12-2012, 19:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'
Re: Another pressure cooker question

I had a pressure cooker while I was cruising. Had an LP stove, no problems. I bet an alcohol stove would have a problem keeping warm enough to get it to work properly, but I have no knowledge of it. I do know that I had trouble on my alcohol stove in my present boat, getting a big pot of water to boil for pasta!

sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:32   #3

That's a good test, too, sloopygirl. I expect to be boiling lots of pasta water as well as pressure cooking beans, etc., and my eventual stove will have to do both. If it can, it can do anything else I ask of it. As you might gather, I'm trying to figure out what type stove to avoid as I weigh the pros/cons of any specific used cruisers I might want to purchase. The stove is one item I'll have to live with; the list of inevitable upgrades and additions will see to that.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:42   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hard to beat propane! Lots of stoves out there ! Used and new. They will work anywhere and fuel is avaliable around the world(sometimes a little hard to find LOL) If ya live where it really never gets hot my favorite is a diesel stove with oven !! Gives ya heat, cooking and hot water if ya have coils in the stove !! Tryed acohol once, as said just not hot enough or I did not know how to use it ? Now adays I would never have anything but propane!! Just OUR 2 cents
Old 02-12-2012, 19:49   #5

Boat: Franz Maas 37

The answer to getting boiling water on an alcohol stove, lies in your choice of cookware. Generally speaking, high quality pans with a copper or aluminium sandwiched base will do the trick. Stainless only, won't do the job, nor will aluminium only. If you check the make-up of the base of the pressure cooker (world's best marine cooking method) and it has a good conductive base, it will do the job on both alcohol and gas.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:49   #6

Boat: Tartan 30

I suspect my alcohol camp stove, which only holds 1 ounce of fuel, couldn't do the job. But, there's absolutely no sane reason to assume an Origo boat stove couldn't do it.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrick View Post
That's a good test, too, sloopygirl. I expect to be boiling lots of pasta water as well as pressure cooking beans, etc., and my eventual stove will have to do both. If it can, it can do anything else I ask of it. As you might gather, I'm trying to figure out what type stove to avoid as I weigh the pros/cons of any specific used cruisers I might want to purchase. The stove is one item I'll have to live with; the list of inevitable upgrades and additions will see to that.

Thanks for the input.

Since I've worked with both - I'd go LP any day! Just be sure you have the safety features - safety solenoid switch, LP tank outside somewhere or a vented to outside compartment. Enjoy.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I have a large 22 quart that I pressure can with. A lot has to do with the ambient temp and airflow over the cooker. On chilly days one burner takes forever if ever to get to pressure. Luckily the cooker is so large it fits over two burners. My first boat had an origo one burner bunsen burner like stove. Took a long time to boil a small pan of water and have my doubts if it would be hot enough. I replaced the shipmate pressurized alcohol stove in my current boat with a crappy hillerange princess. The alcohol stove just didn't get hot enough to properly cook breads etc.. I would recommend propane but not hillerange.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09   #9

Quote:

Thanks for the input.
Another vote for propane, and a link to make pasta in the pressure cooker, thus saving water, energy, and steamy humidity: <i>Farfalle all'Arrabbiata</i> - Angry (spicy) Butterflies <BR>- the secret to <i>al dente</i> pressure cooked pasta! | Pressure Cooker Recipes - hip pressure cooking
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

No problem with a modern non-pressurized alcohol stove. Propane is convenient and hotter but alcohol works almost as well. Certainly enough output for my pressure cooker. Just made a pound of pasta last evening in an eight quart pan. Probably took several extra minutes to bring to boil but I don't even notice the lower output any more.

My boat came with propane and I replaced with alcohol. The decision was both safety and convenience related. Little explosion risk and I can hop on my folding bicycle and find a couple of gallons of denatured alcohol at any hardware store. Lasts me about 6-8 weeks. I intend to carry five gallons in a dedicated container in case I run into difficulties finding alcohol while cruising. In a pinch, pure grain(drinking) alcohol works well but pricey(taxes). Automotive fuel anitfreeze(Heet) also works well.

On another note, I've been using an alcohol Origo Heat Pal to warm the cabin on frosty Florida mornings while at anchor. Highly recommended.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Having had stoves that burned 1. Alcohol; 2. Kerosene; 3. CNG; and, 4. Propane, all worked with our 4 quart pressure cooker (which is now pushing 40 years old!). That said, we preferred CNG for its relative safety; but, because of the difficulty of finding refueling stations, we would recommend Propane. Even a two burner cooktop is, IMHO, better than the other alternatives.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33   #12

Thanks to all of you! There is certainly no consensus here, but definitely know more than I did when I posted the question.

More input is welcome.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07   #13

btw something I learned recently: if you get propane, get tanks which are like the swap-style/exchange tanks, not a custom size. My recent experience down the ICW showed me it's become difficult to find places to refill, although tank exchange is common.
Old 06-12-2012, 14:30   #14

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Mine works on an electric stove; it just takes a little longer to "rock" than my stove at home.
Old 06-12-2012, 14:37   #15

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

Quote:
What type stove simply won't put out enough heat to properly operate a 4qt. SS pressure cooker? I know there are variables, not looking for a consensus, just opinions. thx
In answer to your question, a stove turned off or broken wont operate your pressure cooker, because any stove that actually produces a flame already has enough heat to boil, just the time frame will vary, which you can adjust for.

Matthew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: